Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 08:25 AM

879 posts, read 2,330,625 times

Advertisements

In all seriousness, you can't go wrong with NH. Plenty of small towns, several colleges, a small but decent coastline, the White Mountains, no sales tax, no income tax, etc. The only downside (and why I don't live there now,) was a lack of jobs in my field. I grew up in NH, and I vacation there all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 11:27 AM

660 posts, read 1,000,361 times
Default Get Ready!

Get ready for both culture and temperature shock then -- the vibe and weather in the Northeast is TOTALLY different from where you are coming from. Trust me, I've lived on both coasts. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcg77 View Post
Great suggestions you guys thanks a bunch , actually New Hampshire along with mainly the northeast states fit what I'm looking for , beautiful natural scenery and small towns. Winding roads along rivers , similar to waterville,me. Any other places like that?

Old 11-14-2014, 11:28 AM

3 posts, read 3,061 times
@ckhthankgod
I'd say a low cost of living because I am a college student. Fun things to do in the city of course outside of school and work. And also a good amount of part time type jobs available.
And even that England feel with open fields some towns have is lovely

Old 11-14-2014, 12:06 PM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
@ckhthankgod
I'd say a low cost of living because I am a college student. Fun things to do in the city of course outside of school and work. And also a good amount of part time type jobs available.
For a lower cost of living in the Northeast, you'll have to look inland, which will have an overall COL around the national average(give or take).

A sleeper area that comes to mind is Plattsburgh NY. It has Clinton CC and SUNY-Plattsburgh. It is located on Lake Champlain and is minutes from the Adirondack Mountains. There is a public lakefront beach free to city residents. It has an overall COL just below the national average. It only has about 20,000 people, but if it doesn't have enough for you, it is within an hour or so of Montreal and Burlington VT. You can take a ferry to the latter city and you will need a passport or enhanced drivers license to go to Montreal. Weather and size may be issues though.

City of Plattsburgh

Ithaca has a CC, great colleges/universities, is on a Finger Lakes and has quite a bit to do for its size.

There are some bigger Interior Northeastern cities that could work as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-14-2014 at 12:59 PM..

Old 11-14-2014, 01:35 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,692,342 times
OP might also consider some of the towns and cities in Connecticut on Long Island Sound east of New Haven -- places like New London, Niantic, Groton, Mystic, Stonington, and even across the state line into places like Westerly Rhode Island.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:43 PM

545 posts, read 1,092,794 times
Bethlehem PA

Old 11-14-2014, 04:02 PM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Here are street views for Dover and Plattsburgh: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1572...-gew8Xk3qw!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6978...hpX7vjiwsw!2e0

Old 11-14-2014, 05:48 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,586,083 times
NH ranks at or near the bottom for public support of higher education, as a result community college tuition is nearly double the national average, and about 3x what you'd pay in CA. It also ranks as worst for 'student debt' though there's some wonkiness to the data.

It's also not really that cheap in terms of COL and jobs can be hard to come by. Yes, unemployment is low, but much like North Dakota, I think in part that's a function of people without work moving on to greener pastures and people generally moving in only with jobs in hand.

If you are looking in the northeast, MA frankly is probably a safer bet - much better community college system for half the cost, and more work opportunity. Upstate NY also has its charms, though for 'coast' you'd have to be willing to accept the shores of Champlain or Ontario/Erie for the Atlantic.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:29 PM

660 posts, read 1,000,361 times
Default Great Advice!

There is definite good advice here . . . and I would agree. I was a professor with SUNY for 5 years, and though I am now looking to leave the area, it's mostly weather related. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
For a lower cost of living in the Northeast, you'll have to look inland, which will have an overall COL around the national average(give or take).

A sleeper area that comes to mind is Plattsburgh NY. It has Clinton CC and SUNY-Plattsburgh. It is located on Lake Champlain and is minutes from the Adirondack Mountains. There is a public lakefront beach free to city residents. It has an overall COL just below the national average. It only has about 20,000 people, but if it doesn't have enough for you, it is within an hour or so of Montreal and Burlington VT. You can take a ferry to the latter city and you will need a passport or enhanced drivers license to go to Montreal. Weather and size may be issues though.

City of Plattsburgh

Ithaca has a CC, great colleges/universities, is on a Finger Lakes and has quite a bit to do for its size.

There are some bigger Interior Northeastern cities that could work as well.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:28 AM

26,826 posts, read 43,300,897 times
Quote:
@ckhthankgod
As the criteria has slowly evolved and now know you're a college student who will need to work, I'd recommend the Boston area and perhaps cities like Framingham, which has both a community college (Massachusetts Bay CC) and an excellent public 4-year school (Framingham State U). You'd be in close proximity to quaint small towns and job centers in both Framingham and neighboring Natick.

Framingham State University - About FSU - Overview
MassBay Community College
Choose Framingham, MA - Official Website - About Framingham
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.