Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 09:03 PM

562 posts, read 1,126,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyIsTheLimt View Post
Most of the regional capitals exertinfluences on the states around them..

Atlanta influences South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and some parts of North Florida..

Denver influences the whole Rocky mountain range..

Seattle influences the pacific Northwest etc..
In terms of NC, Atlanta's influence tends to be strongest in Western NC from Charlotte westward, but does go as far east as Greensboro. Greensboro is roughly the halfway point between Atlanta and DC. From Greensboro eastward, DC is the more influential city, especially from the Raleigh-Durham area, eastward!!!

In terms of TN, Atlanta's influence is felt more in the eastern half of the state, strongest around Chattanooga and Knoxville. To a lesser degree, Atlanta's influence is felt in Nashville. In the western part of TN around Memphis, I'd say that Atlanta's influence is very small.

I agree with you concerning Atlanta's influence elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 09:07 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Dallas/Fort Worth influences the whole South Central region of the country from Oklahoma to Arkansas & Northern Louisiana.

Houston influences the Gulf Coast all the way to Mexico & New Orleans.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:08 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Ugh...as I've already mentioned, by the time you hit the Wisconsin border a few miles north of the Chicago suburbs, you're already in a distinctly different cultural zone with a different primary city (Milwaukee, Madison in SW WI, Green Bay in NE WI, Wausau in Central). Minneapolis isn't in any way "special" here, it's in the same boat as Milwaukee, Detroit, Indy, St Louis, etc. So you're both wrong - Chicago is a terrible example re: the OP, as it's a very large city with comparatively little influence for its size due to many other cities with distinct cultures surrounding it.
You're kidding to mention ....Wausau... . Now that is influence??? No mention of the Dells? There is not much to influence with Chicago once you hit open prairie. Chicago is the Key city of the Midwest. But it really isn't a example of what Midwest is? It is a iconic city but once you leave the Metropolitan Chicagoland You certainly do not need Big city influence in Rural Prairie. It don't lesson Chicago? But to lesson even Minneapolis/St Paul is a bit low..... to infer Wausau is influential

Old 11-18-2014, 09:19 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,595,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas/Fort Worth influences the whole South Central region of the country from Oklahoma to Arkansas & Northern Louisiana.

Houston influences the Gulf Coast all the way to Mexico & New Orleans.
Some of Central Texas as well. Not so much the hill country (that would be Austin and San Antonio's turf), but I know Houston's influence is dominant in places like Bryan-College Station, La Grange, and North up to Madisonville.

However, yes... Houston's influence is greatest along the coast from Brownsville clear into coastal Mississippi, though shared to some degree with the influence of New Orleans from roughly Baton Rouge-Eastward. Once you get into Alabama, I think it kind of fades out.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:24 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
In terms of NC, Atlanta's influence tends to be strongest in Western NC from Charlotte westward, but does go as far east as Greensboro. Greensboro is roughly the halfway point between Atlanta and DC. From Greensboro eastward, DC is the more influential city, especially from the Raleigh-Durham area, eastward!!!

In terms of TN, Atlanta's influence is felt more in the eastern half of the state, strongest around Chattanooga and Knoxville. To a lesser degree, Atlanta's influence is felt in Nashville. In the western part of TN around Memphis, I'd say that Atlanta's influence is very small.

I agree with you concerning Atlanta's influence elsewhere.
Yeah, I'd agree for the most part. Charlotte is very similar to Atlanta, and I'm sure most people in that area pulled for Atlanta teams before the Panthers and Hornets came to town. The two cities aren't terribly far apart, either. I believe many people around the Atlanta metro love to vacation in Western NC, definitely around Asheville. Plus, seems like everyone forgets, but Georgia and North Carolina actually border each other! DEEP into Western NC.

True about Greensboro/Winston-Salem. Roughly right in between Atlanta and DC. I'm sure many major music acts play the Greensboro Coliseum in between playing Atlanta and DC, if not playing in Charlotte.

For Raleigh/Durham, DC is more influential. I know for a fact that most people around Raleigh/Durham pulled for the Washington Redskins before the Panthers came to Charlotte, and you still see many Redskins fans in the area. DC is a popular weekend trip destination since it's only around 4 and a half hours to get up there. If I'm not mistaken, many African Americans from Eastern NC moved to DC during the Great Migration. Still, I'm from this area and it seems like most people have been to Atlanta at least once. High school bands take trips to play in the Georgia Dome, and I'll occasionally hear about people visiting Atlanta for places like Six Flags Over Georgia, World of Coca-Cola, the CNN Center, and the Georgia Aquarium. Also, regarding North Carolina as a whole, I see more Braves fans than Nationals fans.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:47 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,151,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Some of Central Texas as well. Not so much the hill country (that would be Austin and San Antonio's turf), but I know Houston's influence is dominant in places like Bryan-College Station, La Grange, and North up to Madisonville.

However, yes... Houston's influence is greatest along the coast from Brownsville clear into coastal Mississippi, though shared to some degree with the influence of New Orleans from roughly Baton Rouge-Eastward. Once you get into Alabama, I think it kind of fades out.
I thought that NOLA had a heavier influince than Houston.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:51 AM

562 posts, read 1,126,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Also, regarding North Carolina as a whole, I see more Braves fans than Nationals fans.
I thought this thread was more about overall influence of cities vs sports loyalties. As far as pro sports loyalties in NC pre Panthers, Hornets, and Hurricanes, it was the Redskins for the NFL, the Braves for MLB. The Hawks used to play a few games in Charlotte, the Bullets (Wizards) had a small following down east. Now that NC has its own teams in three of the major sports, the Braves are basically the default MLB team for most of NC!!!

Old 11-19-2014, 12:25 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
I thought this thread was more about overall influence of cities vs sports loyalties. As far as pro sports loyalties in NC pre Panthers, Hornets, and Hurricanes, it was the Redskins for the NFL, the Braves for MLB. The Hawks used to play a few games in Charlotte, the Bullets (Wizards) had a small following down east. Now that NC has its own teams in three of the major sports, the Braves are basically the default MLB team for most of NC!!!
Definitely, Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham didn't used to be this big. Not to mention how popular NASCAR and College Basketball are in NC, probably the best state in the nation for those two. We have plenty these days, Atlanta and DC used to be a lot more influential. However, I guess that's still the case to a lesser extent.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:55 PM

10,644 posts, read 16,025,322 times
Is Hartford, New Haven and Bridgeport, Connecticut more influenced by New York City or Boston?
I assume Norwalk, Stamford and Greenwich are more influenced by NYC.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:23 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
You're kidding to mention ....Wausau... . Now that is influence??? No mention of the Dells? There is not much to influence with Chicago once you hit open prairie. Chicago is the Key city of the Midwest. But it really isn't a example of what Midwest is? It is a iconic city but once you leave the Metropolitan Chicagoland You certainly do not need Big city influence in Rural Prairie. It don't lesson Chicago? But to lesson even Minneapolis/St Paul is a bit low..... to infer Wausau is influential
Neither one of you has any clue as to how things work outside of Chicago. Once you hit the Wisconsin border, when someone says "the city," they mean Milwaukee. If you're in SW Wisconsin, it's Madison. If you live in Central Wisconsin, Wausau is the city. I've lived in every quadrant of the state, and in no way does Chicago have cultural domination when it comes to Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Missouri, and so on. Each of these states have distinct home cultures, sports rooting interests, and major cities they identify with (Milwaukee, Twin Cities, Detroit, St Louis, etc). And Wisconsin is over half forested - have you ever been here?

How can this compare with Denver's giant sphere of influence, for one example? We're not listing most populous cities here, we're talking about cities that influence "large areas around them." Like Denver. Unlike Chicago.

Also, take a writing class or something. People tell you that all the time because it's irritating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.