Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 06:21 PM

320 posts, read 578,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
North Carolina is certainly humid, several areas are just as humid as the Deep South. Definitely the Sandhills region and the majority of Eastern NC, not to mention Raleigh/Durham which can get SUPER humid like I said above. I'd imagine Virginia is quite humid, but definitely not as humid as North Carolina. The majority of Tennessee is hilly, and it's also landlocked so I don't think it's as bad as North Carolina despite being geographically equal if you glance at a map. I'd imagine it's a similar story for Arkansas and Kentucky.
Can't speak too much on North Carolina summers because I was just passing through. State lines blend together. Southwest South Carolina is simular in landscape and temperature to southeast Georgia. Memphis is sometimes said to be in Mississippi because it blends even though it's in Tennessee. Southwest Louisiana blends with southeast Texas. The biggest swamp in the U.S. is in south Louisiana and it goes into southeast Texas. Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas and Tennessee all have parts in the Delta. The Delta is landlocked and very humid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 07:56 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
The biggest swamp in the U.S. is in south Louisiana and it goes into southeast Texas.
The Atchafalaya swamp/basin is the largest swamp in the nation, but it does not stretch into Texas at all. There are swamps in far-Southeast Texas, like Big Thicket and Caddo Lake, but they are completely separated from the Atchafalaya.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs-019-99/images/fig01.gif

Old 11-22-2014, 05:23 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
So how do you define a "yankee"
Interesting topic.. Since you're asking for a personal perspective, here's my subjective take..

I generally view a 'Yankee' as someone from the NorthEast, who has a patronizing (and/or negative) view of the South.

But I guess technically the term would define anyone born & raised in a Civil War era, Union-aligned state (?)

peace.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:53 AM

320 posts, read 578,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
The Atchafalaya swamp/basin is the largest swamp in the nation, but it does not stretch into Texas at all. There are swamps in far-Southeast Texas, like Big Thicket and Caddo Lake, but they are completely separated from the Atchafalaya.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs-019-99/images/fig01.gif
Yup. I should have said that it's the largest collection of swamps in the U.S.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:09 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Cool, huh? OK then. Whatever tickles folks' pickles. I prefer to label myself an individual. I don't really even consider myself a Southerner, even though I grew up in the South. It's not that I hate the South or feel ashamed of being from there... I just hate all the "Yankee/Rebel" labeling that should have died out well over a century ago.

I feel much more naturalized to the West, where I now live and have lived, off and on, for about a third of my lifetime. Out here, people aren't hung up on that tired, ancient crap.

The South keeps this crap more alive than Northerners.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
^ God forbid an American chooses to move to another area within his/her own country...

Funny these same yahoos from the South don't want to talk about the millions of Southerners that moved north into our cities up here. But alas, you know they weren't real southerners according to these yahoos. And you and me know why.

Hey Southern man, not all of us want to move to your bible thumping narrow minded region. Millions and millions of us are quite happy here so stuff it. Personally I wish we could part company and your beloved south wouldn't be part of my country anymore.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It's generally said tongue in cheek. The proper response from a damn yankee is "Forgive me, I wasn't born here... but I got here as quick as I could!"

Pray tell what do we say to all the southerners that moved here? You people act as if all the movement is in one direction. Bullsh.. There are loads and loads of southern professionals working in the north for the better pay and opportunities. I know plenty.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:04 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
The South keeps this crap more alive than Northerners.
Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. Personally I could care less out here in the Northwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Funny these same yahoos from the South don't want to talk about the millions of Southerners that moved north into our cities up here. But alas, you know they weren't real southerners according to these yahoos. And you and me know why.

Hey Southern man, not all of us want to move to your bible thumping narrow minded region. Millions and millions of us are quite happy here so stuff it. Personally I wish we could part company and your beloved south wouldn't be part of my country anymore.
You sound more than just a tad bitter.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:19 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
You people? LMAO
This 'you people' person was born on the west coast, raised in the midwest/great lakes region, and moved all over the south. Don't try to buttonhole me as one of 'you people'
Were you born without a sense of humor?

Old 11-24-2014, 03:21 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,966 times
tom77falcons is a perfect example of a 'damn Yankee', IMO. I've been to some of the northern states and I didn't like them.
"Stuff it"????? Bwaahahahahahahaha!!!! How original.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.