Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 10:04 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
What are you talking about? I've been there twice. Once in the summer, once in the winter and enjoyed it both times. The metro area is a perfect size for me. Not too big. Not too small.
Well then, there you go. To me, a good-sized metro area with a lot of things to do is Washington DC or Philadelphia. So, that is my point of comparison.

I tend to prefer the 5 million+ club it would appear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 10:22 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well then, there you go. To me, a good-sized metro area with a lot of things to do is Washington DC or Philadelphia. So, that is my point of comparison.

I tend to prefer the 5 million+ club it would appear.
Oh my god....DC and Philly are way too big for me...I would die.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:10 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
What you are experiencing is problems of just social interaction in general, when you get more than one human together and have a debate... chances are some of those humans are gonna disagree with each other.

This happens outside this website as well.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:28 PM

370 posts, read 608,383 times
Quote:
I mean, it's just so hard to get an idea of what places would be great for me to live in. For example, one person will say that a particular place is a great place to live, but another person will chime in and say that they hated living there or whatever. One person will say that moving down south is the best decision they ever made, while another person will say that they tried it, hated it, and moved back north. Or maybe one person says that they love living in a large metropolitan area, while another person says that they prefer living in a smaller area.

I mean, how the heck are people supposed to make decisions like this, when they get mixed signals?!

It seems hard to get uniformity and agreement on this website. And it seems like EVERY place has pros and cons.
Maybe you should just listen to your doctor and take your meds

Old 11-27-2014, 02:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
The point is you are not supposed to base your decisions upon what others say. What you can do is take into consideration what they say and take in their opinions and then go see for yourself. How anyone will find a place to their liking will depend solely upon who they are. That means you cannot go by anyone else's experiences or tastes but your own.

It is foolish to think that just because a place is great for some or not great for others it will be great or not great for you. But you can get an idea of what to look for by making your own observations when you check the place out for yourself which, if you do not do that, you are really making a huge mistake. You have to spend time in a potential relocation spot to see for yourself how it feels. I am speaking as one who has moved to a different city twice in my life and has never regretted either move.

You are not getting mixed signals about anything. You are getting differing opinions as to how a place has an affect on others. That is perfectly normal. It has no bearing whatsoever as to how it will affect you. You should never, ever make your decisions based solely on other people's experiences or observations. You cannot and should not expect uniformity of opinion on any one place and, yes, every place has its pros and cons. Just like everything else in life.

Above all, you are never going to get every single person to agree on any one place. It just doesn't work that way. What you need to do is filter out those who are most in tune with you and your needs and narrow down your choices with the idea that they might be suggesting the best places for you. The pros you are getting may or may not have bearing on your needs; likewise so may the cons. So why would you care if someone says, for example, the weather is awful somewhere when weather isn't an issue for you?

I don't mean to be insulting, OP, but I think you need a bit more maturity in your life before you make a huge decision like relocating to a new city. You should not depend upon others, especially strangers on an Internet relocation forum meant to give suggestions and opinions only to make those decisions for you.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:30 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Another reason these forums are so misleading is because of the POLLS that are common in many threads. Especially ones that ask questions like "which city is the best?" or "where is the best place to live?" I've noticed that in these polls, most of the voters simply choose the place that THEY currently live in or are native to. Geez.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:15 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
I think they would be a lot more helpful if there was some magical way to make sure a person giving advice on 'Place A' has actually even drawn a breath in 'Place A.'

Old 12-09-2014, 03:22 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times
Quote:
I mean, it's just so hard to get an idea of what places would be great for me to live in. For example, one person will say that a particular place is a great place to live, but another person will chime in and say that they hated living there or whatever. One person will say that moving down south is the best decision they ever made, while another person will say that they tried it, hated it, and moved back north. Or maybe one person says that they love living in a large metropolitan area, while another person says that they prefer living in a smaller area.

I mean, how the heck are people supposed to make decisions like this, when they get mixed signals?!

It seems hard to get uniformity and agreement on this website. And it seems like EVERY place has pros and cons.
I've been on these boards since 2006. This is the worst forum on these boards to get an opinion of a city. Actually, the city vs city subforum is the worst, with this one a close second. I can't explain why, but this particular area is filled with the same group of people arguing about places that many of them have never been to. Or worse yet, arguing that their city is better than ______. So much misinformation. completely biased opinions. Sure, you always have to deal with that, but it's x10 worse in this area of the boards and I can't even begin to tell you why. I've used this forum for 3 of my 7 interstate moves. I always use the individual state/city areas, general moving, and some of the others to get a good scope of a location. Never this area or it's subforum city vs city. No way. There is actually a thread arguing that Seattle's winter is comparable to Minneapolis. Absurd. And that's not even the worst one I've seen in there.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:23 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
The only way to really find out is to move.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:56 AM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
What's that old saying? Opinion are like ******** and every ******* has one. Or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.