Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 12:05 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

Geez...another thing I noticed about these forums is that people try to sell me on the place that THEY currently live in themselves.

For example, right now I'm an thinking of moving to Cleveland or St. Louis in two months from now. And the people in the CLE forum are trying to convince me to move to CLE instead of STL. But the people in the STL forum are trying to convince me to move to STL instead of CLE.

Talk about confusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 12:32 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Geez...another thing I noticed about these forums is that people try to sell me on the place that THEY currently live in themselves.

For example, right now I'm an thinking of moving to Cleveland or St. Louis in two months from now. And the people in the CLE forum are trying to convince me to move to CLE instead of STL. But the people in the STL forum are trying to convince me to move to STL instead of CLE.

Talk about confusion.
How dare they do that!

Old 03-10-2015, 07:09 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I mean, it's just so hard to get an idea of what places would be great for me to live in. For example, one person will say that a particular place is a great place to live, but another person will chime in and say that they hated living there or whatever. One person will say that moving down south is the best decision they ever made, while another person will say that they tried it, hated it, and moved back north. Or maybe one person says that they love living in a large metropolitan area, while another person says that they prefer living in a smaller area.

I mean, how the heck are people supposed to make decisions like this, when they get mixed signals?!

It seems hard to get uniformity and agreement on this website. And it seems like EVERY place has pros and cons.
I wouldn't make a life decision specifically based on advice from a forum like this. It's good for getting information about various place but everyone is going to have strong opinions on where they like and dislike, sometimes based on fact and other times based on perception. Figure out what you want out of life and move to a place where you can attain it. Also, everywhere has its negatives. Once you get it narrowed down, take a look at the negatives and determine if they are things you can live with.

The opinions of your friends on specific places or strangers on a forum shouldn't factor into your decision.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:34 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
The main problem is most posters are Haters or Homers. Neither will give you a fair picture of a place.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:28 AM

593 posts, read 667,678 times
This issue is there are people who love where they live and people who hate where they live for every single town/city in the country. There are people who hate California but love Wyoming, and every other single "oddity" you can think of. There is no best city in this country, all that matter is that you are happy where you live. NYC/ San Fran/ Miami is no paradise for a country man, just like Florida is not for a winter lover. As long as your happy where you are in who really cares what a bunch of guys (including myself) say on some random message board, its all ultimately meaningless!!

Old 03-10-2015, 11:41 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
First world problems.

Get in your car and go visit the places you're considering moving to and experience them for yourself. You know best what your priorities are - don't go by what strangers on an internet forum are throwing at you when it comes to where to LIVE for pete's sake. I mean, you can make informed decisions about Amazon purchases by reading customer reviews but I wouldn't count on an internet forum to tell me where I was going to build my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.