Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 06:23 PM

6,110 posts, read 4,602,134 times

Advertisements

Arizona-Florida:

-Even though Florida is surrounded by water and Arizona has considerable desert in the south, both states have distinctively different climates in their northern and southern halves.
-Both are in the Sunbelt and have seen much of their growth after WWII, and more recently in new cities like Northport and Surprise.
-Both have large areas populated primarily by and catering to retirees. Although the climates of both states are different (hot/cold and dry in Arizona versus hot and humid in Florida), the climates of both have historically been one of the attractors of retirees, especially those moving from colder climates.
-Both have politicians who are much further to the right politically than the people they represent, and adopt legislation that reflects that.
-Both have considerable influence (both positive --i.e. cultural richness-- and negative-- i.e. criminal element) from Latin America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 02:34 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
I was literally getting ready to post the exact same thing!

You could also do:
Illinois & Pennsylvania
Wisconsin & Ohio
Michigan & Illinois (Detroit and Chicago)
Pennslvania & Michigan

New Jersey and Rhode Island is a good entirely Northeastern one.

West Virginia & Tennessee, Wikipedia once even compared Chattanooga to Charleston.

West Virginia and Tennessee are not really much alike. Neither is Pennsylvania and Michigan. Same goes for Illinois and Pennsylvania. Pa is a northeastern hilly mountainous state. Really its nothing like the Midwestern states several hundred miles west. West Virginia is a lot like PA, a northern version of Appalachian culture. Tennessee is a very different place from that, much more southern culture and its a much more prosperous place. West Virginia is sadly a struggling state.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:21 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
I agree with gnutella that PA and TN have similarities. On my visit to Pittsburgh I felt right at home, and topographically it is a bigger and taller Knoxville. But I'll equate Pgh to Nashville as they are both trendy and growing and have top notch universities. I don't know Harrisburg much but it might be equated to Knoxville minus UT and related population. Obscure river city near the mountains with a nuclear presence nearby. Both states have large river cities on one end that are very different from the rest of the state, and lots of small cities spread throughout. Franklin = Doylestown and there's an arts community outside Gatlinburg that might relate to New Hope. That leaves Chattanooga uncoupled - any medium sized industrial cities that are enjoying a strong resurgence?

Last edited by creeksitter; 12-02-2014 at 10:42 AM..

Old 12-02-2014, 10:32 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I'll bite.

Rhode Island - Delaware
Pennsylvania - Michigan
Maine - Alaska
Georgia - Texas
Wyoming - North Dakota
Maryland - North Carolina
Maybe Eastern Texas, but that's about it.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:11 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times
RI and NJ?

2nd and 1st most densely populated states, with most density on the coast, famous for their beaches, and strong Italian presence...

Old 12-02-2014, 01:28 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I agree with gnutella that PA and TN have similarities. On my visit to Pittsburgh I felt right at home, and topographically it is a bigger and taller Knoxville. But I'll equate Pgh to Nashville as they are both trendy and growing and have top notch universities. I don't know Harrisburg much but it might be equated to Knoxville minus UT and related population. Obscure river city near the mountains with a nuclear presence nearby. Both states have large river cities on one end that are very different from the rest of the state, and lots of small cities spread throughout. Franklin = Doylestown and there's an arts community outside Gatlinburg that might relate to New Hope. That leaves Chattanooga uncoupled - any medium sized industrial cities that are enjoying a strong resurgence?
not sure PA has true medium sized cities - Lancaster is a bit

and wow a Doylestown and New Hope comparator - they are both small but really interesting so am interested to find out more about the TN comparators

Old 12-02-2014, 03:12 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Franklin is a very prosperous small town that has grown as a suburb of Nashville. While Franklin has a ton more sprawl their downtowns are of a similar size and quaintness. The New Hope pairing is a bit of a stretch but the Glades neighborhood outside G'burg is very artsy oriented.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:45 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
RI and NJ?

2nd and 1st most densely populated states, with most density on the coast, famous for their beaches, and strong Italian presence...
Interesting, I've never thought of that.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:05 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Maybe Eastern Texas, but that's about it.
And even that is questionable. Atlanta shares some commonalities with Houston and Dallas, but other than that, Georgia and Texas are pretty different from each other.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:30 PM

194 posts, read 240,511 times
Vermont and Maine. Rhode Island and Maine. Massachusetts and Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.