Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 03:30 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,351,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
Typical of someone who knows nothing about the state. The southern quarter not the Southern half. The upper portion of the Southern half is a transition zone. It doesn't go from being solidly Midwestern in St. Louis to purely Southern just South of there. You aren't in the true South until you reach Sikeston and Springfield.
Chill out I'm on your side. It was just an opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 03:36 PM

194 posts, read 240,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
The southern half of Missouri is very southern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Chill out I'm on your side. It was just an opinion
Ok fine sorry.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:37 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,767,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
OK, I'll bite... What do your labels mean?
This. I like the map but how do I crack the code of the labels?

Old 12-02-2014, 11:41 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
Kansas City is quite Northern as well and Those two cities aren't the only things keeping Missouri in the Midwest. The Midwest is divided into two regions the Upper and Lower Midwest. Every region has glaring differences within it culturally and linguistically just look at the Northeast. The lower Midwest has Southern influences and this area constitutes all of Missouri, all of Kansas and 2/3 of Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. No region is a homogenous mixture and the extreme ends will have glaring differences. Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey are glaringly different from New England culturally and linguistically. So your argument ultimately fails to make a point.
We're having different arguments: I'm talking about North vs. South, and you're talking about Midwest vs. South. I'm not denying Missouri is a Midwestern state at all, but if I had to lump it together with quintessential North/Great Lakes states or what's being dubbed the "Southern group", I'm arguing that it has as much pull to the South as it does to the NORTH, if not more. Or, in other words, that discussion is worth arguing because it's a close call.........in my opinion. Furthermore, the Great Lakes states we're talking about all (but Iowa) have one thing in common: direct access to a Great Lake. Missouri does not, but has a lot in common with states in 4 of the adjacent regions (Northwest, Great Lakes, Southwest and South).

How about we just make 6 groups, and add a title for "misfits" like MO?

Old 12-02-2014, 02:01 PM

194 posts, read 240,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
5 is pretty limiting, but here goes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
We're having different arguments: I'm talking about North vs. South, and you're talking about Midwest vs. South. I'm not denying Missouri is a Midwestern state at all, but if I had to lump it together with quintessential North/Great Lakes states or what's being dubbed the "Southern group", I'm arguing that it has as much pull to the South as it does to the NORTH, if not more. Or, in other words, that discussion is worth arguing because it's a close call.........in my opinion. Furthermore, the Great Lakes states we're talking about all (but Iowa) have one thing in common: direct access to a Great Lake. Missouri does not, but has a lot in common with states in 4 of the adjacent regions (Northwest, Great Lakes, Southwest and South).

How about we just make 6 groups, and add a title for "misfits" like MO?
No it's the same argument. Midwest is the same thing as Northern. Missouri does not have a Southern pull equal to its Midwestern pull. Having lived in this state for almost three decades I think I would know that better than you.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:13 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
It's not an easy mission classifying 50 states into just 5 distinct groups.
The OP said groups of five, not five groups.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:08 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,516 times
How long are you going to keep this name St Louisan??

Old 12-03-2014, 09:41 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
6 Groups would make more sense imo but okay 5 groups...
Why would you separate Iowa and Nebraska but lump Washington state and New Mexico together?

Old 12-03-2014, 10:27 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Why would you separate Iowa and Nebraska but lump Washington state and New Mexico together?
That's why i said 6 regions makes more sense than 5, that would make the Eastern half of the "Yellow" region a different region but to answer your question... Politics.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:12 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Pennsylvania should be in a Mid-Atlantic group, unless you're going for a "Rust belt" grouping of some sort.

Minnesota could belong to a Great Lakes grouping, or a Great Plains/Upper Midwest grouping (IOwa, NEB, SD, ND), etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.