Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Michigan More Like Minnesota or Upstate New York
Minnesota 54 58.70%
Upstate New York 38 41.30%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2014, 08:33 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chh View Post
Upstate New York has no farmland.
Quite possibly one of he most inaccurate statements I have ever read on C-D.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 08:35 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Quite possibly one of he most inaccurate statements I have ever read on C-D.
^ this is probably the biggest exaggeration in the history of the universe

Old 11-27-2014, 10:12 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Minnesota because its pretty flat, Upstate New York is more like New England and Pennsylvania.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:25 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,445 times

This map is a bit deceptive. It's an oversimplified version of what Minnesota looked like before it was developed. One, the map makes it look like there are clear, distinct boundaries between these zones, which is not the case. Also, the part of the map labeled "deciduous forest" is now mostly farm land. There isn't much deciduous forest left there at all, safe for the driftless area in the far southeast corner of the state. Because of all the farms and development the "prairie grassland" and the "deciduous forest" regions basically look the same.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:40 AM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
I would say Michigan is more similar to the western half of New York state than the eastern half. Its the eastern half is where the mountains are. And Buffalo being a Great Lakes state with similar background factors in.

And as far as comparisons to Minnesota: Minnesotas northwoods are more "true boreal forest" with mostly conifers, and aspens. Michigans forests have a lot of the same composition. And a vast chunk of Minnesota was presettlement prairie with hardly any trees. So the farmlands are more like Iowa, whereas Michigans farmlands do have groves, patches of woods more similar to further east.

I would say if you were to just look at the western half of New York state, then I think Michigan is more similar to New York than to Minnesota.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:47 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I would say Michigan is more similar to the western half of New York state than the eastern half. Its the eastern half is where the mountains are. And Buffalo being a Great Lakes state with similar background factors in.

I agree, that small non mountainous green region south of Lake Ontario and North of the Finger Lakes can be compared to Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:30 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Both have very few, if any, Lutherans.
While Catholicism dominates upstate New York, to say there are few, if any, Lutherans is incorrect.

Map of Lutheran congregations in upstate New York

In similarity with Michigan, there are also a lot of (Dutch) Reformed churches reflecting New York's Dutch colonial history and settlement.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:43 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post

This map is a bit deceptive. It's an oversimplified version of what Minnesota looked like before it was developed. One, the map makes it look like there are clear, distinct boundaries between these zones, which is not the case. Also, the part of the map labeled "deciduous forest" is now mostly farm land. There isn't much deciduous forest left there at all, safe for the driftless area in the far southeast corner of the state. Because of all the farms and development the "prairie grassland" and the "deciduous forest" regions basically look the same.
The map is not of a previous era, but rather the current one. The MN DNR has great information on the biomes of the state, and your 2/3 prairie calculation does not line up with the facts, any way that you want to spin them:

Coniferous forest - Biomes of Minnesota: Minnesota DNR

Deciduous forest - Biomes of Minnesota: Minnesota DNR

Tallgrass Aspen Parkland-Biomes of Minnesota: Minnesota DNR

Prairie grassland - Biomes of Minnesota: Minnesota DNR

Old 11-27-2014, 12:03 PM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I agree, that small non mountainous green region south of Lake Ontario and North of the Finger Lakes can be compared to Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
That is essentially the flat(ter) lands between Lake Ontario and the Appalachian Plateau. It covers a relatively narrow area, which includes Rochester.

The difference even between western/central Upstate NY and Michigan are the hills/valleys in that part of NY. There are a lot of ski areas in that area of NY.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:00 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
There are hills in Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin that are comparable to what you find in the western New York and even the Catskills. It just takes a little longer to get to them. The only area that has no comparison at all in the midwestern states are the adirondacks:

Driftless Area of Wisconsin:

Baraboo Hills of Wisconsin:

Huron Mountains near Marquette, MI

Porcupine Mountains of Michigan:

New York state is overall more scenic than any midwestern state overall, but with the exception of the Adirondacks, you can find the same scenic areas, with the same type of forests in the upper midwest. You do have to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.