Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 11:20 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times

Advertisements

What a comical thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 11:28 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Does Richmond or Louisville have southern accents that I would have to get used to? Just wondering.

The native accents are different from your area of CT but it will not get in the way. Think about it, Louisville is upper South and sooo close to the Midwest and Appalachia. I'm sure that you'll hear some hints of this mix when interacting with Louisville people.

Richmond is mostly Tidewater Southern, so I hope non-rhotic accents don't bother you too much. Older Whites and even some middle aged White people speak Tidewater and some could have a gen am dialect. Some Blacks speak with a lite Southern accents, some sound like they have a Bmore or Philly influence, some sound like they grew up on a farm in Mississippi, and some speak gen am in the burbs.

You'll be okay.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:47 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Des Moines?

Old 11-27-2014, 07:04 AM

235 posts, read 331,279 times
For southern cities without major accents or congestion you're going to be limited. Such a place doesn't really exist. If you didn't like charlotte, I wouldn't consider anywhere in the Deep South.

I'd consider richmond, Nashville, raleigh durham, and maybe winston but it's probably too southern if you didn't like charlotte. Where in Charlotte did you live? There are lots of inner neighborhoods that aren't cookie cutter with lots of young professionals.

If I were you I'd focus on affordable Midwestern cities like Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:16 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Anyone who dislikes an area because its locals have an accent seems too superficial for us to satisfy here in a single thread. The irony is that if the OP were actually to move south, he would be the person who is sporting the accent.

If this isn't a troll thread, it's missed a golden opportunity.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:17 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Anyone who dislikes an area because its locals have an accent seems too superficial for us to satisfy here in a single thread. The irony is that if the OP were actually to move south, he would be the person who is sporting the accent.

If this isn't a troll thread, it's missed a golden opportunity.
You just don't understand what it's like to be from a place like New England, where one can go for YEARS without hearing a single accent. So yes, it is something that we would have to adjust to. I'm not saying it's a bad thing or whatever. It's just something that we are not used to and would have to adjust to.

I thought the entire Shenandoah Valley area of VA was solidly southern, accent wise, when I was there. It was definitely a culture shock for me.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:27 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
You just don't understand what it's like to be from a place like New England, where one can go for YEARS without hearing a single accent. So yes, it is something that we would have to adjust to. I'm not saying it's a bad thing or whatever. It's just something that we are not used to and would have to adjust to.

I thought the entire Shenandoah Valley area of VA was solidly southern, accent wise, when I was there. It was definitely a culture shock for me.
You have to look at it from the other side as well though. There are areas of the South where the locals went generations without hearing any Northern accents, and they're going through a much bigger adjustment listening to "you guys". Just imagine what it's like hearing these strange accents in the place where you were born and raised.

I know many people up North think that they don't have an accent, but to us Southerners, you do, and it sounds funny.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:32 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You have to look at it from the other side as well though. There are areas of the South where the locals went generations without hearing any Northern accents, and they're going through a much bigger adjustment listening to "you guys". Just imagine what it's like hearing these strange accents in the place where you were born and raised.

I know many people up North think that they don't have an accent, but to us Southerners, you do, and it sounds funny.
This^^^. Honestly, do you think it makes us happy hearing New Joisey and New Yawk accents in our southern cities? Knowing that traditional southern accents are dying out among younger generations due to all these Northern transplants?

Old 11-27-2014, 12:14 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
You just don't understand what it's like to be from a place like New England, where one can go for YEARS without hearing a single accent.
Well, there you go being wrong. I grew up in the mid-Atlantic and have lived in seven different states so far. In each of those, I took my accent with me, including when I lived in one of your bordering New England states: Massachusetts. In all those years, I never had any problem getting along with coworkers or making new friends because I couldn't give a flip about their accents. And I was fairly well-accepted in each of these areas I lived as well, despite my own accent. My guess is that it had something to do with how I interact with people. I evaluate the character of the people around me based on the behaviors they exhibit and not on their accents. That's why I posted earlier that your posts have led to to see you as a fairly superficial person.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that you will never be happy in any place you live. Nevertheless, best of luck.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 11-27-2014 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: Correct typos

Old 11-27-2014, 12:47 PM

42 posts, read 60,802 times
You're a gay liberal atheist and you want to go to the South? Oh boy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.