Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 03:27 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
More stereotypes again lol
I never said that they weren't. That's the point.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:28 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
More stereotypes again lol
... Yeah, coming from a Midwesterner describing stereotypes about his/her (sorry!) own region. I do agree that the Midwest may get it worse than the South, maybe just because of typical ideas about Midwestern weather. At least people view the Sunbelt positively - while Midwesterners are over there freezing cold all the time, right?

Old 12-03-2014, 03:33 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
... Yeah, coming from a Midwesterner describing stereotypes about his/her (sorry!) own region. I do agree that the Midwest may get it worse than the South, maybe just because of typical ideas about Midwestern weather. At least people view the Sunbelt positively - while Midwesterners are over there freezing cold all the time, right?
The crazy thing is everyone that isn't from the South hates the South, if you ask the black, Latinos and Middle Eastern people if they like living in the South they by in large love living in this region. Yes we have a lot of rednecks/hillbillies and people who are not socially tolerant. For the most part the people are a lot more socially friendly here and willing to meet and befriend new people than I had when I lived in the Northeast.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:37 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
The crazy thing is everyone that isn't from the South hates the South, if you ask the black, Latinos and Middle Eastern people if they like living in the South they by in large love living in this region. Yes we have a lot of rednecks/hillbillies and people who are not socially tolerant. For the most part the people are a lot more socially friendly here and willing to meet and befriend new people than I had when I lived in the Northeast.
You don't have to convince me of anything, I don't (seriously) buy into stereotypes (playfully, sometimes). I also try to not generalize whole regions, ever.

I have no issues with friends and friendliness in the Northeast, though.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:25 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
I blame Bugs Bunny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRyIMqXA_o8

Old 12-03-2014, 08:12 PM

320 posts, read 578,307 times
I blame them too.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AtG0BN4FKZQ

Old 12-04-2014, 11:49 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
In
Being hospitable doesn't mean putting up with bad behavior.

My FIL didn't approve of me marrying his son, for reasons that I won't go into here, but let's just clarify that he is very prejudiced and old. It's like I told him, "You're welcome to your own opinion, but when you're in my house, you will respect my family and me. That respect may be fake, but it better be convincing. You don't have to allow me into your house, but when you're in my house, you'll play by my rules."

By the way, he adores me now. I just had to stand up to him.

That's what the poster above meant - people from other regions are entitled to their opinions, but don't come down here mouthing off and expect to receive that famous Southern hospitality in spite of your disrespect.
No, I responded directly to this quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss429 View Post
folks up nawth can thank whatever they want about the south as long as they stay up nawth ...
Which has nothing at all to do with what you've written. It specifically states that everyone from "the north" should "stay out of the south." There is no other way around it. Perhaps address this person and his/her statement instead of defending the poor attitude of another southerner?

Old 12-04-2014, 06:26 PM

56 posts, read 79,657 times
Dang I'm so disappointed I didn't see Banjo players when I was in West Virginia.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:00 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
No, I responded directly to this quote:

Which has nothing at all to do with what you've written. It specifically states that everyone from "the north" should "stay out of the south." There is no other way around it. Perhaps address this person and his/her statement instead of defending the poor attitude of another southerner?
Urmmm, I read that as "as long as you're up north you can think whatever you want, if you come down south it's a different story". So yeah, there is another way around it, and that might be to quit assuming everything said is meant in a negative way....

Old 12-04-2014, 10:40 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCK29 View Post
Dang I'm so disappointed I didn't see Banjo players when I was in West Virginia.
Here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atvcMIVfrrA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.