Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 03:22 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,050,791 times

Advertisements

I've heard it said much here. The notion that some ethnic groups are traditionally aligned to a certain core US region. I'm not here to discuss that. I'm here to ask whether YOU personally assign your identity with where you LIVE, or with where your ethnic group is mostly a part of. Like say, if you're Italian but you live in the South, do you align more with the North? This is a question I ask of people mostly living in Border States.

I personally am South European and I guess through traditionally my ancestors and family lived and associated with the Northeast (Boston, NYC, and Pittsburgh), I consider myself fully Midwestern. I don't speak with a Northeast dialect, my pace of life isn't as fast, and I don't have much Northeastern in my culture. My family does but I grew up in the Midwest, so it'd be hard to really say I'm Northeastern. I guess it's easy for me, as I live in the core of the Midwest and though I live in a state that borders the South, the South is 5 hours away at least.

But what if I lived in somewhere like Kentucky? As someone of South European descent, would I be more likely to call myself a Midwesterner because my ethnic group tends to not be in the South? Or if I lived in Virginia or something. Maybe if I lived in Hampton Roads I'd probably consider myself more of an East Coaster instead of a Southerner. I don't know, I have no personal experience. I mean it's not like Blacks in NYC or Boston consider themselves Southerners. But what if a Jewish person lived in a Border State? What do you personally believe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 03:52 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Most African Americans live in the South. I live in the Northeast. So my answer is no.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:01 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,412,083 times
I am of a complete mixed race heritage and I identify with where I was born, raised, still live, and will live here till I die - Los Angeles, the Valley.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:03 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,365 times
I'd guess that my ancestry is most strongly weighted toward Irish, English and German, and my earliest ancestors in North America (the British/English/whatever ones) were colonial immigrants who resided in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Virginia.

The migration of my later ancestors have me pretty far removed from the Northeast, as well as the South and Midwest where others eventually migrated. I now live in an area where German is the most dominant ancestry, just as it is through most of the Midwest and into lower areas of the Northeast, and I don't identify with either region at all (but then again, I don't hold a strong regional identification as it is).

But nonetheless, it would seem kind of strange to me if, for example, a white Utahan, who could likely cite British ancestry, claimed stronger identification with New England than they did with the Interior West. It would actually strike me as creepishly ethnocentric...

Old 11-30-2014, 04:45 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,044 times
I'm Acadian. We're basically just limited to Maine, with a few of us in New Hampshire. I've never lived in either state; my parents moved out out West from New Brunswick before I was born. Though I now live in the Northeast, I feel no connection at all to Northern New England or Maritime Canada.

Then, there are our cousins, the Cajuns, down in the Louisiana. We have the same ancestors, but our cultures have gone their separate ways over the centuries. I'd identify with Canada before I'd identify with the Mississippi Delta, which seems like a foreign country to me.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 11-30-2014 at 05:13 PM..

Old 11-30-2014, 04:49 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,049 times
Not at all. As someone previously stated, African-Americans are thought to mostly live in the South. I was born, raise, and still live in Los Angeles, California.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:54 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,202,751 times
I'm of mixed ancestry and have lived all over the country as a result of my dad's career in the Navy. I'd say if I must identify with any place in the country, it'd be Hawaii or New Orleans, though SoCal is a close second. I live in Philadelphia, and have lived in Norfolk (VA) and the Washington DC Area, but the East Coast just isn't home to me. And neither is Texas (I lived in San Antonio for a year), though I enjoyed my stay there.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:12 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,131 times
Outside of the Northeast, second, third, fourth, etc.-generation Americans aren't particularly preoccupied with ethnic identity.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:53 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Well I'm Irish-American from Boston, so I guess I never had the sort of identity crisis described in the op.

If anything I experienced the opposite: while growing up my grandparents would have me listen to Irish folk songs and we'd all wear green, white, and orange on saint Patrick's day and everything. I also grew up around a lot of people who also identified as Irish. But when I talked about my background in high school to friends who were first or second generation immigrants from places like Haiti, Vietnam, or Ukraine, they'd say "no, you're not Irish, your American".

And it's true I've never set foot in Ireland, and my family has been in the us for so long (early 20th century) that I don't know of any relatives over there. It's just wierd growing up Irish in a place that is supposedly very Irish only to be told by a third party observer that you aren't actually Irish....

Old 12-01-2014, 01:12 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,949,906 times
Do you associate your ethnic identity with a REGIONAL identity?

No! It has nothing to do with where I was born and raised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.