Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 09:13 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Sugar is not an ingredient in southern cornbread.
I'm not sure where you're from but a small amount of sugar in cornbread is completely normal and preferred. As long as it's not sweet it's fine.

But to say one thing about the south..
When someone from Alabama goes to Tennessee or South Carolina, I'm sure they pretty much feel at home.
When I leave south Louisiana, I feel like I'm not at home whatsoever. Just goes to show the south can vary in alot of ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 09:41 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
To say that Wilmington, Delaware is even remotely similar to El Paso, Texas is clearly misleading, yet they are both included in the South according to the United States Census. The point is that you cannot paint the South, especially in today's times, with such a broad brush. There are many economic, social, demographic, geographical, and unique cultural influences that make up this region.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:06 PM

581 posts, read 968,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
A small amount of sugar in cornbread, about a teaspoon or so, is fairly standard, as long as the cornbread doesn't taste sweet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Sugar is not an ingredient in southern cornbread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthernfishin View Post
Yankee alert! Only someone north of Virginia would never have even heard of it!

My grandma always put sugar in her cornbread. Everyone knew about her cookin'! But it is more common today to find cornbread without sugar especially with the imitation stuff up north.
So in other words, sugar in or not in cornbread has absolutely nothing to do with the South, and you were just looking for a chance to call me a "Yankee" and make some typical remark on "the north".

For the record, I've never even eaten cornbread not made by my family or in a restaurant, and I don't watch other people cook in their kitchens, so I have no idea how other folks make it. I was surprised because I thought the "normal" way to make it was without.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:50 AM

34 posts, read 36,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
So in other words, sugar in or not in cornbread has absolutely nothing to do with the South, and you were just looking for a chance to call me a "Yankee" and make some typical remark on "the north".

For the record, I've never even eaten cornbread not made by my family or in a restaurant, and I don't watch other people cook in their kitchens, so I have no idea how other folks make it. I was surprised because I thought the "normal" way to make it was without.
You are from north of Virginia though, right?

Old 12-04-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
You are from north of Virginia though, right?
Yes, i'm from MD. You were able to discern this fact based on my ignorance of the varied methods of cornbread making? Amazing.

If you would like to tell me how I am a Yankee, and that I am in fact delusional for thinking otherwise, the best thread to do that is here: Maryland a southern state. Let's not derail this one.

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 12-04-2014 at 08:59 AM..

Old 12-04-2014, 08:41 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
The world according to the city data forum:

Southern = that area of land located outside of Manhattan/Denver/San Francisco/Seattle/Chicago/Los Angeles/whichever city the group has a boner for this week. Inhabited by toothless moonshine drinking hillbillies that deer hunt and have 5 kids before the age of 25.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:54 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm not sure where you're from but a small amount of sugar in cornbread is completely normal and preferred. As long as it's not sweet it's fine.

But to say one thing about the south..
When someone from Alabama goes to Tennessee or South Carolina, I'm sure they pretty much feel at home.
When I leave south Louisiana, I feel like I'm not at home whatsoever. Just goes to show the south can vary in alot of ways.
I'm sure recipes differ from family to family, but my Mother, my Mother in Law, and my wife don't put sugar in cornbread. I'll be having cornbread for supper tonight, with some fresh picked collards. The collards will have a small amount of sugar. I've eaten cornbread with sugar in it and it was a pretty good desert.
Different strokes for different folks.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:18 AM

34 posts, read 36,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Yes, i'm from MD. You were able to discern this fact based on my ignorance of the varied methods of cornbread making? Amazing.

If you would like to tell me how I am a Yankee, and that I am in fact delusional for thinking otherwise, the best thread to do that is here: Maryland a southern state. Let's not derail this one.
Hey Tez - just makin' a few jokes! Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Hey Tez - just makin' a few jokes! Sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way.
It's okay. I just get right resentful when I'm called a Yankee because so many people don't realize that my culture (Tidewater MD) exists. Not that I can really blame them, as I certainly could't describe the cultural differences within most other states. I don't like being thought of as the typical northern suburbanite people associate with my state, because that's just not me or my culture.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:39 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,147,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenisey View Post
urbanizing and desegregating the area
Urbanizing, yes. Desegregating?!? when did that happen?

Atlanta racial demographics map https://www.flickr.com/photos/walkin...7624812674967/

but then again....New York City is still segregated. http://www.flickr.com/photos/walking...7624812674967/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.