Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 01:48 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,949,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yes indeed. They will bring it up every which way they possibly can. Gets tiring and boring actually. They are stuck in 1861 if you ask me.

You have to understand that Southerners by and large hate the Fed Govt (not matter which party is in power), and they associate the Fed Govt with the Union victory in the Civil War, and the northeast states in general.

What a sad dis-unified country we live in. Wouldn't it be better if southern people and the states they lived in that hated this country, be left to go on their own and separate? I think so. Either accept the fact that the Union prevailed and this is one country now, or go on and get out. They actually had billboards up in Alabama last year with the words "Secede".

There are all kinds of anti-American organizations down there like the "Southern National Congress", "League of the South", "Sons of Confederate Veterans" and blah blah blah.

They love their state, but hate the rest of them outside the "South". The list goes on and on.

What a bunch of BS. Southerners by and large are the most patriotic people in the country, and the military is largely made up of Southerners. And as far as states talking about seceding maybe you should look at the lists of the states that were talking about secession. it wasn't just Southern states. And it was just a bunch of hot air to begin with. Nobody intended to secede.

It is laughable that you say southern people hate this country when actually they are the ones that love the country. Your lists of ignorance is the one that goes on and on. You need a little education. You speak about things you have no knowledge. It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought an idiot that to open it and remove all doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 03:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post

Citizens from every single state in the union have presented petitions to the US Government to secede. Yep, even New Jersey!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_st..._for_secession

Old 12-07-2014, 04:30 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,165 times
Tom77Falcons does have a point about people and organizations celebrating the Confederates. Organizations like the SCV are anti-American in the sense that they glorify a group of people who fought the US. Some conveniently forget that that the Confederate States had no regard whatsoever for the US constitution and killed United States soldiers than the Germans, Japanese, and the British combined. The entire existence of the CSA was based on a rejection of the USA.To glorify the CSA is inherently anti-USA.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:56 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
It's not like Iowa is Massachusetts compared to the South. I wouldn't have expected people up there to look down on the South. In many ways, the Midwest is pretty similar to the South.
This. It's not like Iowa or Indiana are at the cutting edge of society. It's especially funny since a lot of native Hoosiers trace ancestry back to Applachian people, especially in the Southern part of the state.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:00 PM

101 posts, read 122,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Tom77Falcons does have a point about people and organizations celebrating the Confederates. Organizations like the SCV are anti-American in the sense that they glorify a group of people who fought the US. Some conveniently forget that that the Confederate States had no regard whatsoever for the US constitution and killed United States soldiers than the Germans, Japanese, and the British combined. The entire existence of the CSA was based on a rejection of the USA.To glorify the CSA is inherently anti-USA.
Actually, this a misunderstanding of the purpose of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. The SCV (at least purportedly) exists to honor the soldiers who made a sacrifice for their families and communities, who probably didn't go to war for reasons different than Union soldiers did. I think all the SCV does is maintain monuments (like gravestones) to the men who fought for the Confederacy and also organize battle reenactments. Many people in the South have relatives who fought for the Confederacy and wish to commemorate their family who served in the war. The Confederate soldiers were not evil people, just Americans fighting for their families, farms, towns, and states.

Remembering the men who fought for the Confederacy is different from remembering the Confederacy.

Also, both the soldiers who fought for the Confederacy and those who fought for the Union were Americans, so the argument that the Confederates were killing Americans could be reversed to say that the Union soldiers were killing Americans. More Americans died in the Civil War than in WWII because they are counting both Confederate soldiers and Union soldiers in the total. More U.S. troops died in WWII than in the Civil War. United States military casualties of war - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-07-2014, 09:40 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Pretty much. I hear members of the SCV get furious if you compare them to the KKK.

Honestly, I'm fine with remembering Confederates at historic sites. If you see a Confederate battle flag flying at a Civil War battlefield, I'm okay with that. However, that's it. It has no other purpose in our society today, and no one should deny the fact that many African-Americans find it as offensive as the Swastika to Jews. In Raleigh, we have a Confederate monument to commemorate the fallen Confederate soldiers from North Carolina on the grounds of the State Capitol building. I'm okay with that. Flying it arrogantly over the Capitol building like South Carolina did for the longest time (Not sure if they do anymore), that's a little too much. In the long run, I don't think it's a bad thing to remember the Confederates. My great, great, great, great Grandfather fought for the Confederacy out of North Carolina, I think that's super interesting. However, you shouldn't go too far. They waved Confederate flags at UNC football games up until the 50's or so, that's unnecessary.

Southerners are VERY patriotic, you better believe that one. Come spend some time down here and find out for yourself.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:59 PM

177 posts, read 458,104 times
Ever since I moved from Georgia to Nebraska, I've been asked by a lot of people if I'm from Arkansas or Texas, haha! The questions actually shocked me at first because I really thought my accent was very close to neutral. Having lived in Atlanta for so long, which is full of northern transplants, I lost most of my childhood southern accent. In fact, most northerners in Atlanta were disappointed that I didn't sound southern enough, especially since I had lived there most of my life.

My roommate has it worse though. Her accent has a genuine east-central Georgia drawl, and several people have asked if she is from Australia . I guess the folks around these parts do not leave the state too often!

Old 12-07-2014, 11:57 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times
Forty years ago, I was quite surprised to be told I was a "cracker."
I insisted that I was from Alabama, certainly not Georgia, and was therefore no "cracker."

We've spent more travel time out West than up North. We were camping near the Grand Canyon some years ago when a big Mercedes bus pulled up two spaces over. The bus was filled with people from Germany. They start in New York City and drive across the US to Los Angeles. The bus was made with sleeping "slots" on the side. In the cargo area in the bottom was a mini-kitchen.

We chatted with two or three people who got off the bus. When they asked where we were from and we replied, "Alabama," they actually took two steps back and practically ran back to the bus. Never could figure that out.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:12 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,012,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yes indeed. They will bring it up every which way they possibly can. Gets tiring and boring actually. They are stuck in 1861 if you ask me.

You have to understand that Southerners by and large hate the Fed Govt (not matter which party is in power), and they associate the Fed Govt with the Union victory in the Civil War, and the northeast states in general.

What a sad dis-unified country we live in. Wouldn't it be better if southern people and the states they lived in that hated this country, be left to go on their own and separate? I think so. Either accept the fact that the Union prevailed and this is one country now, or go on and get out. They actually had billboards up in Alabama last year with the words "Secede".

There are all kinds of anti-American organizations down there like the "Southern National Congress", "League of the South", "Sons of Confederate Veterans" and blah blah blah.

They love their state, but hate the rest of them outside the "South". The list goes on and on.
Well, I didn't know. Thanks for reminding us how we act and think.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:26 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,185,086 times
The real question is when do southerners stop disliking Yankees, referring to other human beings as Yankees, and harboring resentments toward notherners or outsiders in general, be them west coasters or left coasters as they like to say, and damn Yankees or Yankees, I once read somewhere on CD or somewhere, I cant recall, about a man overhearing a conversation on a check out line between two other men, saying that he would rather have a 1000 illegal immigrants in his town or city, then just one Yankee. The vitriol toward northern folks is alarming from many of the threads I read on CD, from many southerners. Yea, me thinks the only region in the USA, that is so disdainful on this kind of level to other US citizens, is more that likely the southern states. Y'all got some work to do, and some soul searching to do, in my opinion, cause notherners could care less about your accent and where you from, either do Midwesterners, and either do west coasters...only in the south, do they dislike "Yankees", and are still to be found with that civil war mentality in my opinion. One reason why I am very hesitant to live anywhere in the south, and I am a true west coast libertarian, something that does not exist in the south, imo.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 12-08-2014 at 09:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.