Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 02:38 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,829,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
It's funny how you always pretend to be fair and balanced yet you take potshots on other regions constantly. More of that infamous "southern hospitality" and "charm" I suppose...
While you seem hell-bent on inserting yourself into every single one of these types of threads.

That cheese plate of yours has grown beyond sour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 03:30 PM

10,189 posts, read 7,912,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
The real question is when do southerners stop disliking Yankees, referring to other human beings as Yankees, and harboring resentments toward notherners or outsiders in general, be them west coasters or left coasters as they like to say, and damn Yankees or Yankees, I once read somewhere on CD or somewhere, I cant recall, about a man overhearing a conversation on a check out line between two other men, saying that he would rather have a 1000 illegal immigrants in his town or city, then just one Yankee. The vitriol toward northern folks is alarming from many of the threads I read on CD, from many southerners. Yea, me thinks the only region in the USA, that is so disdainful on this kind of level to other US citizens, is more that likely the southern states. Y'all got some work to do, and some soul searching to do, in my opinion, cause notherners could care less about your accent and where you from, either do Midwesterners, and either do west coasters...only in the south, do they dislike "Yankees", and are still to be found with that civil war mentality in my opinion. One reason why I am very hesitant to live anywhere in the south, and I am a true west coast libertarian, something that does not exist in the south, imo.

Most Southerners do not hate "Yankees." That is a myth that ignorant people believe. I am Southern and have many "Yankee" friends. One of my best friends is from Pennsylvania. To say Southerners hate Northerners is a totally ignorant statement.

As far as Northerners not hating Southern accents, I believe again it is the ignorant that hate anything Southern and that does not include most Northerners. The educated people normally do not hate other cultures.

The South has people of all political persuasions. Why the hell do ignorant people think the South is only made up of conservatives?? That is totally ludicrous. The south is like any other region, liberals, libertarian, conservatives, etc reside here. Some people need to be educated. Too much ignorance about the South from people that say they are educated.

Last edited by Scotty011; 12-08-2014 at 04:08 PM..

Old 12-08-2014, 04:04 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,189,034 times
Quote:
The real question is when do southerners stop disliking Yankees, referring to other human beings as Yankees, and harboring resentments toward notherners or outsiders in general, be them west coasters or left coasters as they like to say, and damn Yankees or Yankees, I once read somewhere on CD or somewhere, I cant recall, about a man overhearing a conversation on a check out line between two other men, saying that he would rather have a 1000 illegal immigrants in his town or city, then just one Yankee. The vitriol toward northern folks is alarming from many of the threads I read on CD, from many southerners. Yea, me thinks the only region in the USA, that is so disdainful on this kind of level to other US citizens, is more that likely the southern states. Y'all got some work to do, and some soul searching to do, in my opinion, cause notherners could care less about your accent and where you from, either do Midwesterners, and either do west coasters...only in the south, do they dislike "Yankees", and are still to be found with that civil war mentality in my opinion. One reason why I am very hesitant to live anywhere in the south, and I am a true west coast libertarian, something that does not exist in the south, imo.
Its all part of our plan and it seems to be working.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:33 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,166,058 times
The Methiest States In The U.S. (INFOGRAPHIC)

Sure its nationwide, I know that,...but some of the southern states appear to rule in this category, according to this data, with the exception of Indiana. To be fair though, it is a nationwide epidemic imo.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 12-08-2014 at 04:47 PM..

Old 12-08-2014, 04:54 PM

10,189 posts, read 7,912,362 times
Quote:
The Methiest States In The U.S. (INFOGRAPHIC)

Sure its nationwide, I know that,...but some of the southern states appear to rule in this category, according to this data, with the exception of Indiana. To be fair though, it is a nationwide epidemic imo.

RealClearPolitics - 1: Indiana

Looks to me like the top ten states with the most meth labs five are from the South. The others are Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, and Missouri.

ps. It also says that the Midwestern states sees the most meth incidents. < That is from one of your sources. So maybe you ought to rethink your statement. Perhaps you missed the headline or just rejected it. The headline read "The Midwest breaks bad."

Last edited by Scotty011; 12-08-2014 at 05:06 PM..

Old 12-09-2014, 04:12 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,666,248 times
I have found that idiots tend to think they can pull the wool over your eyes easier if you have a southern drawl. It's usually not intelligent people that make the assumption. I stress the word "usually". It's a stereotype I suppose. Southern drawl = ignorance.

Thankfully, I've lost most of my accent after years of effort, so I don't have the issue any more, but back when it was really thick, I couldn't get over some the blatant half ass attempts to "fool" me. Just very little effort put in to mask their intentions it seemed. As if I was blind, deaf, dumb and stupid. So it usually worked to my advantage to have that thick drawl. Whereas these days, I have to pay closer attention, as I no longer have the drawl to receive the "stupid" label. Coincidentally, I just had this conversation a few weeks ago with another guy here in SLC who is from Alabama. It's something he's been encountering a lot lately.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:21 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,260,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I have found that idiots tend to think they can pull the wool over your eyes easier if you have a southern drawl. It's usually not intelligent people that make the assumption. I stress the word "usually". It's a stereotype I suppose. Southern drawl = ignorance.

Thankfully, I've lost most of my accent after years of effort, so I don't have the issue any more, but back when it was really thick, I couldn't get over some the blatant half ass attempts to "fool" me. Just very little effort put in to mask their intentions it seemed. As if I was blind, deaf, dumb and stupid. So it usually worked to my advantage to have that thick drawl. Whereas these days, I have to pay closer attention, as I no longer have the drawl to receive the "stupid" label. Coincidentally, I just had this conversation a few weeks ago with another guy here in SLC who is from Alabama. It's something he's been encountering a lot lately.
I know what you mean. However, I sincerely hope I NEVER lose my southern accent. People can assume I'm a fool if they want - they will soon find out otherwise if we are in any sort of actual transaction and situation - and meanwhile, like you say it might be to my advantage if they underestimate my intelligence initially. As for strangers, I don't care what they think at all.

Actually though, I've never found my southern accent to be any sort of impediment in business or personal activities.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:06 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,346,473 times
Some accents are more neutral. Most Americans have accents that are mostly neutral with only some hints at where they're from. I think if you have a very strong accent for your region you will attract more attention, some good some bad. I have a really strong Mid South accent that even some people in my home state have trouble understanding. If you move to the Deep South and sound like The Nanny you'll draw attention just like I get if I go much further north than I live.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:11 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,346,473 times
I sound a lot like these guys. They're from pretty close to where I lived as a child

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBqvuqJZ5Us

Now this guy is from far south Alabama but has a neutral Southern accent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpGT6Ll432Q

Old 12-10-2014, 09:38 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,851,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Pretty much. I hear members of the SCV get furious if you compare them to the KKK.

Honestly, I'm fine with remembering Confederates at historic sites. If you see a Confederate battle flag flying at a Civil War battlefield, I'm okay with that. However, that's it. It has no other purpose in our society today, and no one should deny the fact that many African-Americans find it as offensive as the Swastika to Jews. In Raleigh, we have a Confederate monument to commemorate the fallen Confederate soldiers from North Carolina on the grounds of the State Capitol building. I'm okay with that. Flying it arrogantly over the Capitol building like South Carolina did for the longest time (Not sure if they do anymore), that's a little too much. In the long run, I don't think it's a bad thing to remember the Confederates. My great, great, great, great Grandfather fought for the Confederacy out of North Carolina, I think that's super interesting. However, you shouldn't go too far. They waved Confederate flags at UNC football games up until the 50's or so, that's unnecessary.

Southerners are VERY patriotic, you better believe that one. Come spend some time down here and find out for yourself.

It is a patriotism expressed with cognitive dissonance.

Even though Cliven Bundy is not southern, he expresses very well by and large how white southerners of today can hate the very foundation of our country, the Fed Govt (you know, the thing created by the US Constitution) yet still somehow manage to "love America". Cause the America they love is their own state, and their own southern region and nothing else. They have no interest in yankeeland or northern states. They view them as nothing more than extensions of the hated Union victors in 1865. They seem to not understand that if there is no Fed Govt, then there is no USA. Period.

But Bundy and southerners in general view the USA completely thru the context of just their own sovereign state and not one nation. Their "America" is really "Alabama" or "Georgia".

This quote from Bundy expresses it quite well. Bundy is basically a southerner who just happens to be from Nevada. You hear southerners spout this kind of stuff all the time.

The Irony of Cliven Bundy's Unconstitutional Stand - The Atlantic

I believe this is a sovereign state of Nevada," Bundy said in a radio interview last Thursday. "I abide by all of Nevada state laws. But I don’t recognize the United States government as even existing."

And yet this same crowd of yahoos gathered all together on their horses with their guns raised in the air and sang out loudly the Star Spangled Banner with tears flowing down their cheeks due to their so called "patriotism" and love for their country.

I ask again, how can a southerner be patriotic about the USA, and at the same time hate Lincoln, hate the Union Army, and hate the Fed Govt? Cognitive dissonance anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.