Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 02:50 PM

306 posts, read 701,223 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a friend about the kind of place I want to live in and she suggested maybe less than 10 cities in the U.S. actually fit my criteria. What do you think? The main gist is I want to live in a metro city center and have a lot of convenience on foot.

Criteria for my new city:
  1. Don't need a car or a bike for anything. Everything can be done via walking and public transit. Cabs don't have to be everywhere like in New York, but they should be driving around to catch one. I don't bike and I don't want to own a car or need to rent one.
  2. Not oppressively hot in the summers.
  3. Not astronomical prices. I'd say $3000 for a one-bedroom, like in San Francisco, is a bit ridiculous. A one bedroom for $1500 or less would be ideal.
  4. Safe. Every city has bad parts, but I as a young woman, I want to walk in the main parts in broad daylight and not worry too much.
  5. Great local food and great local coffee and good bars too. I want to try new places all the time and I want it to be good, local, non-chain quality stuff. I want wherever I am in the city center for great food or coffee to be only a block or two away.

Cities I know meet my criteria are Chicago, New York and Portland, Oregon. NYC can be expensive, but if I lived outside of Manhattan, it'd probably be somewhat more affordable. I think Washington D.C. almost fits, but summer in D.C. is very hot and very humid and quite unpleasant to walk around in for me. Boston and San Francisco probably also fit, but seem rather expensive so I'm looking for more possibilities.

What other cities would you add to this list?

Last edited by muffincake; 12-05-2014 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 04:01 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
DC is really no more hot than NYC TBH - In general both are oppresive at times in the summer

Off the top of my head and no real order

Boston
NYC
Philadelphia
DC
Chicago
SF

next tier
LA
Seattle
Pittsburgh
Portland
Baltimore
Cleveland
Cinci
and am sure more

Old 12-05-2014, 04:20 PM

660 posts, read 1,005,964 times
I've been looking for a similar spot -- though one with warm weather too and it's TOUGH -- most walkable cities are in the North or Northeast, especially those with good mass transit. You won't get a 1-BR in any of them for $1500; New York City, Chicago, DC, Boston, San Francisco, or Seattle (all very livable downtowns with good walking or mass-transit options and amenities - but expensive). LA is also pricey and walkability is questionable.

I lived in Seattle for 13 years and also Philly, and traveled to all the rest or have friends there, so my information isn't unreliable.

Philadelphia might be a possibility, as well as Portland.

If you don't mind cold weather, Buffalo, NY might fit your criteria; there are some good historic and affordable walkable neighborhoods with amenities, and a nice 1-BR can be had for about $750 (and most walkable 'hoods are quite safe). I've lived here for 7 years now, and though I am leaving in 2015 (I hate the weather) for the South, it does meet a lot of your criteria.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:39 PM

Chicago is actually pretty affordable. I lived there recently. It's definitely cheaper than NYC, Boston, SF and DC. I am looking for advice from people who have lived in or been to the cities they are recommending, please!

Buffalo NY is not a city you can survive in 100% without a car. You will absolutely need a car for certain things. Please no ridiculous responses like this. Haha. Thanks!

Old 12-05-2014, 07:29 PM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
Chicago is actually pretty affordable. I lived there recently. It's definitely cheaper than NYC, Boston, SF and DC. I am looking for advice from people who have lived in or been to the cities they are recommending, please!

Buffalo NY is not a city you can survive in 100% without a car. You will absolutely need a car for certain things. Please no ridiculous responses like this. Haha. Thanks!
Why is Buffalo a ridiculous response? List of U.S. cities with most households without a car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of U.S. cities with high transit ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-05-2014 at 07:46 PM..

Old 12-05-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why is Buffalo a ridiculous response?
Off topic. Back on topic please. Other city suggestions?

Old 12-05-2014, 09:10 PM

112 posts, read 92,832 times
Quote:

So you must already know what cities to look at since you know which ones are ridiculous without even looking at them.

Why not check out the links and lose the attitude. Haha. Thanks!

Old 12-05-2014, 09:25 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Wake up, you are dreaming.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:20 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
In terms of truly robustly walkable cities that you're searching for, you're really not going to find a super long list. There are many cities that are making strides to improve their walkability, but in terms of a very convenient, day-to-day walkable lifestyle, unfortunately there are slim pickings.

The "Big 6" transit cities of the US include Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, DC, Chicago and San Francisco, which also happen to be among the most walkable. Seattle is also highly walkable, but public transit would be a tier below these cities.

When you factor in affordability (every one of these cities would meet your other criteria just fine [with the already noted exception of DC summers]), Chicago and Philadelphia are definitely the most budget-friendly in the walkable/public transit-friendly class of cities.

Last edited by Duderino; 12-05-2014 at 10:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.