Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 09:35 PM

287 posts, read 549,476 times

Advertisements

Which sunbelt city/cities in your opinion do you see making the biggest transformations in the coming years? This includes urban projects, population growth. Doesn't have to necessarily be the biggest cities in the region either. A lot of mid sized cities could be included also.

Last edited by JMT; 12-01-2014 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: Please read the rules. Skyline discussions are no longer allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 09:51 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
I could see a city like Dallas making a lot of transitions in terms of its infrastructure and urban environment. There are big projects on the horizon that are impressive like the Trinity River project, and the new lid park connecting Uptown is nice. From what I gather it seems the residents of Dallas have a strong interest in revitalizing its core and all the new DART rail lines will bring suburban riders in. It will be interesting to see where its at in about 10-15 years.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:51 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
LA. Downtown has gone from being a boring craphole to rapidly gentrifying, and they're even building a new skyscraper that will become the new tallest building in the US west of the MS River. I also know they're really improving mass transit, and this trend will likely continue. I can see LA having more walkable neighborhoods and good pubic transit after the next two decades.

Last edited by JMT; 12-01-2014 at 05:03 PM..

Old 11-30-2014, 11:15 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,862 times
Miami. Canal expansion/Port of Miami extension is happening, and All Aboard Florida train station will be built. To say nothing of a booming population and other construction projects.

Last edited by JMT; 12-01-2014 at 05:03 PM..

Old 12-01-2014, 06:21 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Miami. Canal expansion/Port of Miami extension is happening, and All Aboard Florida train station will be built. To say nothing of a booming population and other construction projects.
I agree. There's a thread on the Florida forum where some think Orlando, but it's so far behind the Miami metro in terms of infrastructure and economic development. Miami is a world city and with it's "gateway" status to the economic boom being seen in much of Latin America, I would expect the growth to only accelerate.

Last edited by JMT; 12-01-2014 at 05:04 PM..

Old 12-01-2014, 11:39 AM

779 posts, read 1,010,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyz06 View Post
Which sunbelt city/cities in your opinion do you see making the biggest transformations in the coming years? This includes urban projects, skyline, population growth. Doesn't have to necessarily be the biggest cities in the region either. A lot of mid sized cities could be included also.
Some may laugh at this but Birmingham, AL will be unrecognizable in the next few years. I have lived here for 3 years only and have never been more excited to see a city transform in front of my very eyes. Since I lived here, so many huge projects have gone up that have spawned so many additional projects. The numbers just keep growing and there are cranes up all across the skyline. While I have seen even more construction going on in bigger cities that I've lived in, it's very interesting to see it from a smaller perspective. There are thousands of housing units currently under construction and more being added all the time. You should definitely check out some of the articles about it if you're interested.

Here's a good start:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/07/re...j0bPNQ5RNg+bw&

Old 12-01-2014, 12:19 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Chattanooga. There is a lot of money embedded in that city and they seem to be determined to have the latest in technology and developments. It would be especially striking if you could go back 30 years and compare it to the smoggy backwater it used to be.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:55 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
The south is doing pretty well and I believe a lot of cities could be on this list. By default I would favor smaller MSAs cause it's easier to witness transformational change when the starting point is lower/smaller.

The above posts are valid. Chattanooga gets a lot of recognition for its downtown initiatives. I've spent a few weeks in Birmingham in the past couple years and am very impressed, if not downright jealous, of some of the stuff going on there. Jacksonville has changed a lot in the past decade (since the Super Bowl) and I'd expect more from the next decade. Perhaps not the BIGGEST transformation but quite good considering the lack of urban vibrancy in the early 2000s.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:33 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
There's a case to be made for Atlanta which is rapidly gentrifying with transformative projects like the Beltline and several TOD/TJD projects underway and planned.

I second the mention of Birmingham.

Charlotte is expanding its transit system and the amount of infill happening and planned in and around the core is dizzying.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:38 PM

93,334 posts, read 123,972,828 times
A sleeper is Augusta GA, which has seen some pretty good growth in recent years, since consolidating with Richmond County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.