Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 06:23 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,647 times

Advertisements

In Seattle where I live, there's a pretty small Chinatown on the fringe of downtown. More of such an ethnic enclave is seeming to develop throughout the suburbs, as in strip malls. This is the case in many California cities, although the Chinatowns in Los Angeles & San Fran continue to be packed with locals & tourists- same with the Chinatown in Honolulu. Up in Vancouver, its Chinatown seems to be dying, however there's lots of ethnic development in the suburbs too. I was not too impressed with the Boston & New York City Chinatowns in terms of variety of stores, good atmosphere, etc...although I remember Queens to have a thriving "ethnic enclave"

Do any of you have a favorite Chinatown in America, for whatever reasons?

Also, I'm going to Dallas & Houston late next year & was wondering if there's a Chinatown district in those areas or is it ethnic suburban strip malls that fill that void in those areas? As in, they are like Buford Highway outside Atlanta, in terms of how ethnic enclave developments go? How about Washington, DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 06:28 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
I'm most familiar with NYC's Chinatown, but generally seek them out in any large city I visit.

NY's is bustling, always getting bigger, has lots of good food, and more and more interesting shops. One whole strip has fresh produce, and the other end lots of good junk.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:57 PM

275 posts, read 1,471,617 times
In order:

NYC -- Manhattan
Toronto
Boston
NYC Flushing
SF
Vancouver
NYC Brooklyn (8th Ave)
Philly

Have not been to Chinese/Asian district in Chicago or Houston. Been to Seattle and Portland but do not remember well enough to comment.

Don't like the Chinatown in LA or DC. Monterey Park was OK for a suburban type area.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:04 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
In Seattle where I live, there's a pretty small Chinatown on the fringe of downtown. More of such an ethnic enclave is seeming to develop throughout the suburbs, as in strip malls. This is the case in many California cities, although the Chinatowns in Los Angeles & San Fran continue to be packed with locals & tourists- same with the Chinatown in Honolulu. Up in Vancouver, its Chinatown seems to be dying, however there's lots of ethnic development in the suburbs too. I was not too impressed with the Boston & New York City Chinatowns in terms of variety of stores, good atmosphere, etc...although I remember Queens to have a thriving "ethnic enclave"

Do any of you have a favorite Chinatown in America, for whatever reasons?

Also, I'm going to Dallas & Houston late next year & was wondering if there's a Chinatown district in those areas or is it ethnic suburban strip malls that fill that void in those areas? As in, they are like Buford Highway outside Atlanta, in terms of how ethnic enclave developments go? How about Washington, DC?

Dallas doesn't really have one. Houston does. It's just east of downtown.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:09 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,294 times
Thumbs up Boston's Chinatown is best

Boston for sure! It's bustling and vibrant.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:27 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,822 times
San Francisco hands down, although it's actual "Chinatown" is way more touristy than it should be. The place to be these days for the true experience - the inner Richmond, especially on Clement Street... if you could combine these 2 neighborhoods for the sake of this post, I think that there'd be no contest.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:36 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
It used to be San Francisco, but now the one in Manhattan is a top contender.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:26 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,929 times
Within a few years Houston's Chinatown should surpass in size and number San Francisco's and be on par with the one in LA. Just now another development has been anounced in Houston's Chinatown, "Located between Bellaire and Beechnut, the $300 million project will also include about 170,000 square feet of retail and office space, a hospital and a subterranean parking lot."
Check out this video on the project:

http://www.citymv.net/action/viewvideo/84/Houston_Park8_3D_Introduction/ (broken link)
http://www.chinatownconnection.com/h...wn_history.htm

Old 12-27-2007, 08:52 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyLL View Post
In order:

NYC -- Manhattan
Toronto
Boston
NYC Flushing
SF
Vancouver
NYC Brooklyn (8th Ave)
Philly
Good list here, though I haven't been to Vancouver. Chinatown/LES in Manhattan gets points for being HUGE and growing all the time. Flushing is THE place in metro NY to get awesome authentic Sichuan food and other things you won't find in the tourist-packed Manhattan Chinatown.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:33 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post

Dallas doesn't really have one. Houston does. It's just east of downtown.
Most Chinatowns in the US suck, the only really good one is San Fran, NYC is decent. DC's chinatown is pitiful, Houston's isn't that great.

Seattle doesn't have an actual Chinatown, they have an Asian district which is a mix of Japanese, Viet, and Chinese. The Chinese are struggling for their own district cause they don't like being clumped with the viets but i could care less.
Dallas does have a Chinatown, its all in eastern Dallas county.
They have a Chinatown in Garland, and a growing one in Plano. Dallas doesn't formally have a Chinatown which makes me angry because the Dallas Chinatown seems to be more then the little DC one.
According to Dallas, Chinese is the 2nd prominent Asian group after Indians, yet we seem to be one of the least organized groups.

The Indians are organized even worse though. The Indians have isolated strip malls, they have a huge presence. Irving is the place to go if you're Indian... Indian supermarkets although Irving, Las Colinas, Valley Ranch, Southern Irving...yup...
anyways, the funny thing is we have a pretty big Korean town, and they are the 4th largest Asian group. I live in such a Korean area I know how to read Korean now (and I'm half Chinese and Mexican XD) everyone here assumes you're Korean if you are oriental, not Chinese like everywhere else.
anyways, Dallas has one in Garland in Plano(which is predominantly Chinese out of the Asians)
We also have scattered little Saigon's, they are EVERYWHERE. Viets composer the 3rd largest Asian group.
this is sort of accurate: http://www.dallasasian.com/aboutus.php
the Japaneses number is at least 5000 not 500, its a typo. and They neglect the Khmer population which Dallas has one of the higher of.
ANYWAYS, back to Chinatowns.
Dallas doesn't have a real one, but if you like DC's then you should be fine with Dallas'. San Fran is undoubtedly the best though. NYC is decent...
the best Chinatown in the world though...
that would go to Shanghai, yes I Know its in China, but they have a Chinatown...
Manila has a crappy Chinatown, in the east a Chinatown is an area where the business owners are predominantly Chinese, not an actual ethnic enclave or neighborhood... its big though... LOL
I really wish the Chinese population would explode though(in DFW) we need a china town like SF, not a couple of blocks of Chinese strip malls with this cheap sign that says Chinatown...

Last edited by CMDallas; 12-28-2007 at 12:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.