Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 10:56 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,539,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Couldn't agree with you more. As someone who grew up in one of the largest and most diverse North American cities, I've always said that immigrants (and 1st gens) of any race or ethnicity are the worst bigots I've ever known, and I say that as a child of European immigrants.

Having said that, I now realize after over 8 years in TN that when people talk about racism in the South, they're often talking about black on white racism. Yes, it exists, and in my experience, it's worse here than it is up north. I can understand why that would be the case, but it's hard not to notice it.
Hold on, what? Partiality or bigotry would probably hurt feelings but it doesn't faze the life of a so-called black person... The numbers aren't in the favor of a "black" person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 12:05 AM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Having said that, I now realize after over 8 years in TN that when people talk about racism in the South, they're often talking about black on white racism.
Ok I'll bite. Who exactly is "people"?

Quote:
Yes, it exists, and in my experience, it's worse here than it is up north. I can understand why that would be the case, but it's hard not to notice it.
I'd ask for examples of this pervasive black on white racism that "people" are talking about, but I don't think I should. But I'll say that Black homeowners in Nashville having a few choice words for persistent White folks calling and knocking on their doors offering to buy their homes for pennies on the dollar doesn't count.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:35 AM

1,045 posts, read 749,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
A middle-class or working-class person from Massachusetts or Rhode Island is going to be, on average, much more overtly racist than any person you will ever meet in the South. Remember, most people from the American South are Protestant, and as a general rule, Protestant people tend to be more demure than Catholic people, even accounting for the implications of Scotch-Irish ancestry and Southern hospitality. You have got to be kidding me if you think white Southerners are more than racist than Italian-Americans and other “white ethnics” from the Northeast.

Several years ago, an Italian-American woman in Cheektowaga, NY was caught cursing and hollering at a black man outside of a Dollar General store on videotape. Sadly, the woman kept using the “N-word” over and over again. Of course, the video recording was posted to YouTube and blasted all over social media. That woman is a good example of the type of person I unfortunately grew up around in working class areas of Rhode Island.
I agree, I've met plenty of Northeast transplants here with Irish, Italian and Jewish ancestry and the first two types were the worst for racism. The Jewish people were nice, at least to me. The Italian types were more horrible than the Irish, as far as intolerance is concerned.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:44 AM

1,045 posts, read 749,095 times
I was born and raised in the South and yes, there is still racism, segregation, and division along ethnic lines here. It's not limited to the older generations either. My fiance is White, and his entire family is bigoted, even Gen Z, and I fear that his little nephew will grow up the same way unfortunately. I'm not going to lie and state that some members of my family are free of prejudices because they're not. However, I never hear them call other races & ethnic groups by slurs the way I have heard my fiance's mom, stepdad & half sister refer to minorities when they thought I didn't hear them.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:47 AM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
I was born and raised in the South and yes, there is still racism, segregation, and division along ethnic lines here. It's not limited to the older generations either. My fiance is White, and his entire family is bigoted, even Gen Z, and I fear that his little nephew will grow up the same way unfortunately. I'm not going to lie and state that some members of my family are free of prejudices because they're not. However, I never hear them call other races & ethnic groups by slurs the way I have heard my fiance's mom, stepdad & half sister refer to minorities when they thought I didn't hear them.
Sounds like quite the family you'll be marrying into.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:57 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
I grew up in Texas and had some classmates who's grandparents had KKK robes. I mean, they weren't racist, but just pointing out we aren't that far removed from racism. In some ways, it is worse now, in others, better.

All that being said, some of the most racist people I've met happen to be Asian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.