Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 06:42 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,248,416 times

Advertisements

We have an opportunity to relocate and get out of South Florida.
We have lived here like 15 years.
We have the opportunity to start fresh someplace new.
So we have been trying to decide where that may be.

Here's our criteria:

*Suburban area (not rural)
*Bigger home 2700 sq. ft or so
*Price range for home: about $250k give or take
*Low property taxes (about 1% of cost of home)
*Good weather (no Hurricanes OR Tornadoes) - I don't mind snow - not over kill though
*NO earthquakes either
*Good job opportunities in the medical field (my husband is a Physician's Assistant)
*City close enough to drive...malls, retail, restaurants very close
*LOW crime
*Very good schools
*Lots of families
*We would like to stay on the East Coast, if possible

Is there a place like this? Seriously.

If so, tell me, please! We're looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 06:46 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,508,002 times
"East Coast" and "safe" and "cheap?" Not going to be easy.

Charlotte, NC maybe... Actually that seems to fit your criteria perfectly. Hurricanes shouldn't be a problem because it's further inland near the mountains.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
"East Coast" and "safe" and "cheap?" Not going to be easy.

I know, right. LOL
I'm originally from NY (Queens, and lived in Nassau a few years), but could never go back now and afford it...reasonably.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:33 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,934,354 times
Cary, NC. All criteria met but the home size (Your going closer to 2000). NC also has a state income tax to make up for low property taxes.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:44 PM

Awesome help so far, thank you.
Its funny, I have been researching NC like crazy, trying to decide between Raleigh and Charlotte.............and making sure there's not another place I would rather be before I decide on NC.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:01 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,508,002 times
Raleigh was good, but closer to the coast and more vulnerable to hurricanes. Charlotte has great medical jobs, a growing population, great suburbs, close-by mountains, snow in the winter but not regular, a clean good-sized downtown, and many families.

I know someone who moved from Raleigh to Indiana. They liked Raleigh and how green it was, but the city was too small, their neighborhood was mostly elderly, and they had to cut the trees in their yard down so a hurricane wouldn’t knock them over.

Both are great places to raise a family, enjoy the air, and play fetch with the dog. So either way I'm sure you’ll be happy.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Raleigh was good, but closer to the coast and more vulnerable to hurricanes. Charlotte has great medical jobs, a growing population, great suburbs, close-by mountains, snow in the winter but not regular, a clean good-sized downtown, and many families.

I know someone who moved from Raleigh to Indiana. They liked Raleigh and how green it was, but the city was too small, their neighborhood was mostly elderly, and they had to cut the trees in their yard down so a hurricane wouldn’t knock them over.

Both are great places to raise a family, enjoy the air, and play fetch with the dog. So either way I'm sure you’ll be happy.
...and play fetch with the dog. LOL Great answer. LOL
Yea, as I research I keep seeing Raleigh as more spread out and not really cozy (per say) feeling to it. Where Charlotte may have a more cityn feel to it, the towns are closer together.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:49 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,934,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
Awesome help so far, thank you.
Its funny, I have been researching NC like crazy, trying to decide between Raleigh and Charlotte.............and making sure there's not another place I would rather be before I decide on NC.
Around Nashville maybe? Franklin, TN is a really nice place. Overall crime as a metro is about the same as South FL, high side of moderate with plenty of safe spots. The tax situation in TN is way better than FL or NC, although the schools are actually better rated in FL (as a whole, which is now 29th out of 50) then they are in TN. I would definitely go with Nashville over Charlotte, but not Raleigh.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:46 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,294,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
]

Here's our criteria:

*Suburban area (not rural)
*Bigger home 2700 sq. ft or so
*Price range for home: about $250k give or take
*Low property taxes (about 1% of cost of home)
*Good weather (no Hurricanes OR Tornadoes) - I don't mind snow - not over kill though
*NO earthquakes either
*Good job opportunities in the medical field (my husband is a Physician's Assistant)
*City close enough to drive...malls, retail, restaurants very close
*LOW crime
*Very good schools
*Lots of families
*We would like to stay on the East Coast, if possible

Is there a place like this? Seriously.

If so, tell me, please! We're looking.
uhh, no... you killed the whole country... You Kill Texas, Cali, Missouri, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana, Kansas, Nebraska, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, All the Northern states which get overkill with snow (meaning like up to 10 feet some times), all of the North east and northern South with your price range, and all the wets coast with you price range, as well as the rest wanting to be on the east coast... I mean Raleigh or Charlotte maybe? but I hear the schools are the greatest... and I don't know about how medicine in those cities.

Many people FORGET that earthquakes are not only present in Cali but in Missouri and Tennessee too.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
uhh, no... you killed the whole country... You Kill Texas, Cali, Louisiana, Kansas, Nebraska, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, All the Northern states which get overkill with snow (meaning like up to 10 feet some times), all of the North east and northern South with your price range... I mean Raleigh maybe? but I hear the schools are the greatest...
Yea, quite the challenging question, eh? LOL
Can you imagine that I have actually driven my husband crazy with finding "my" perfect place to live. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.