Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 07:47 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Yep. And so is "SoCal" and "NorCal". I think everybody should just start referring to whatever state they're from with the first syllable, followed by a "y" or an "ie". For example, Texas could be "Texy", and Washington could be "Washy". Illinois can be "Illy". Since I live in Eastern Washington, I'm from "EaWash".
New York, New Jersey, New Mexico, and New Hampshire can all be called "Newy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 08:38 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
New York, New Jersey, New Mexico, and New Hampshire can all be called "Newy".
Or to distinguish them from each other... "Yorky", (Jersey already works), "N'Mexi", and "Hampy".

Then with the states that share different geographical variations on the same names (the Carolinas, Dakotas, and Virginia/West Virginia)... it would be: "Norlina", "Solina", "Norkota", "Sokota", "Ginny", and my favorite... "WeVa".

And just think how relieved people will be to say "Missy" instead of the brutally syllable-rich Mississippi, or "Massy" instead of Massachussetts? Oh wait... they already call it "Mass".

Looking forward to calling Connecticut "Connie" and Louisiana "Louie". Still having difficulty figuring out what to do with Ohio though.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 12-14-2014 at 08:55 PM..

Old 12-16-2014, 03:15 AM

555 posts, read 804,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Do you think Colorado is similar to the interior of California? Tahoe reminds me quite a bit of the Rockies and Denver seems politically similar to the West Coast, and the rural parts of Colorado are pretty similar to rural areas in interior California and eastern/central Oregon.
I don't consider any place "Cali"-anything, especially California.

Gonna call Colorado "Coly" from now on.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:22 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,306 times
Nah. I'd say it's more an Idaho "south".

Old 12-16-2014, 10:43 AM

451 posts, read 562,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Its been 15 years since ive been to Colorado, and I sure hope it has not been ruined by Californians to the extent that it is now becoming "California east". Even here in TN we see Californians moving here to escape the mess out there. The western states must really be overrun with Californian inmigration. I hear AZ is full of them. Nothing wrong with people leaving the golden state, but they need to leave California in California. They should not forget that people in their new states don't want Californian politics, social values and attitudes transported to their states.
Who died and made you the voice of Tennessee? I'm sure you and your conservative friends sure don't like it but I'm sure the more liberal side of Tennessee would be pleased with more Californian's moving in. I saw the same thing when living in Utah. The majority, mostly conservatives, complain about Californians moving in and bringing their politics into the state and fear becoming more like Colorado (which would actually be an improvement to the state). While the other side, the more liberal bunch, either don't care or like it since it brings in more stability into the politics.

Anyways, I consider Colorado somewhat like California (and one of the only cold weather states I would live in) but not "Cali East".

Old 12-16-2014, 04:26 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
No.

Both have mountains, sure. CA spans a lot of different latitudes, so the climate differs dramatically across the state. CO is relatively large, but it's not the same. It's also landlocked.

Denver is nice, but it's still fairly conservative as far as big cities go (good). It's not like CA with all the crazy hippies. Most of the state is rural. Politically, it's a swing state.
Politically, Denver is by no means conservative. The city itself... no Republican could win any election in Denver. In the last two presidential elections, out of 7 counties in the metro area, only Douglas County (Denver's version of Orange County) didn't go to Obama.

Several mountain counties up where the resorts are are liberal, as well as Durango in the southwest. Of course the rural areas are very conservative, but they're very sparsely populated. The only reason Colorado isn't a solid blue state is due to El Paso County (Colorado Springs) with its heavy military presence combined with that whack job Christian extremist groups that set up HQs down there.

I moved from SoCal to Denver, and culturally, it was no shock for me. Just substitute surfer dudes with boarder dudes. Winter is definitely different, but summer weather, with the low humidity and lack of bugs, makes it feel quite similar to L.A. The mountain backdrop looks similar too.

I guess the music scene, craft beer culture and legal weed make it feel rather "California", but with a lot less people. Only around 3 million in the Denver metro area, probably 4 million at least along the Front Range.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:32 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post
Who died and made you the voice of Tennessee? I'm sure you and your conservative friends sure don't like it but I'm sure the more liberal side of Tennessee would be pleased with more Californian's moving in. I saw the same thing when living in Utah. The majority, mostly conservatives, complain about Californians moving in and bringing their politics into the state and fear becoming more like Colorado (which would actually be an improvement to the state). While the other side, the more liberal bunch, either don't care or like it since it brings in more stability into the politics.

Anyways, I consider Colorado somewhat like California (and one of the only cold weather states I would live in) but not "Cali East".
Yeah, I say bring more Californians and their liberal politics to Colorado. The legal weed is probably already doing that lol!

Old 12-16-2014, 04:55 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, I say bring more Californians and their liberal politics to Colorado. The legal weed is probably already doing that lol!
Except not all Californians are liberal. This is the great myth about CA. It's population is more politically divided than most people realize. CA isn't all just San Francisco, Berkeley, and West Hollywood. For example, many of the California transplants in Arizona and Vegas are very conservative, and only serve to make their new environs even more conservative. Californians are migrating all over the country. Some are liberal, others are conservative. I would imagine that the ones moving to Collie (intentional) are most likely more on the left side of the fence though.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:23 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Politically, Denver is by no means conservative. The city itself... no Republican could win any election in Denver. In the last two presidential elections, out of 7 counties in the metro area, only Douglas County (Denver's version of Orange County) didn't go to Obama.

Several mountain counties up where the resorts are are liberal, as well as Durango in the southwest. Of course the rural areas are very conservative, but they're very sparsely populated. The only reason Colorado isn't a solid blue state is due to El Paso County (Colorado Springs) with its heavy military presence combined with that whack job Christian extremist groups that set up HQs down there.

I moved from SoCal to Denver, and culturally, it was no shock for me. Just substitute surfer dudes with boarder dudes. Winter is definitely different, but summer weather, with the low humidity and lack of bugs, makes it feel quite similar to L.A. The mountain backdrop looks similar too.

I guess the music scene, craft beer culture and legal weed make it feel rather "California", but with a lot less people. Only around 3 million in the Denver metro area, probably 4 million at least along the Front Range.
Agreed 100% with everything here. (and I HAVE lived in both regions).

Old 12-16-2014, 10:35 PM

6,904 posts, read 8,271,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Do you think Colorado is similar to the interior of California? Tahoe reminds me quite a bit of the Rockies and Denver seems politically similar to the West Coast, and the rural parts of Colorado are pretty similar to rural areas in interior California and eastern/central Oregon.
The Northern Interior of California has four distinctly different mountain ranges that are as beautiful and in many cases more beautiful than anything in Colorado. The Coast Range, The Klamath Mtns., The Cascades, The Sierra Neveda Mtns.

California's Lake Tahoe is more beautiful and larger than any alpine lake in Colorado.

California's Cascades stretch down into Northern California from the Pacific Northwest - California's Mt. Shasta and Mt. Lassen are two volcanic mountains.

The Sierra Nevada Mtns. have Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, and Sequoia National Park.

No trees in Colorado are as big as California's Giant Sequoia Trees. No place in Colorado is as beautiful as California's Yosemite.

The Northern Coast Range Mtns. of California are more forested than any place in Colorado. Colorado does not have beautiful Redwoods, the tallest trees in the world.

Oh, and then there is the spectacular northern California coast, north of the Golden Gate to the Oregon Border. Endless secluded beaches and coves and crashing surf and waves next to Redwood forests -- nothing in Colorado even compares to this.

I wonder how attractive and polluted the "Front Range and Denver" will look when there are 6 plus million people.

Last edited by Chimérique; 12-16-2014 at 10:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.