Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 06:09 PM

15 posts, read 31,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Cities makeup a geographical minority of the United States.

More than 50% of residents in the US live in a suburb of a major city.

At least 72% of US residents are white. Most whites live in suburbs. Which isn't at all by accident. Most whites choose to live in suburban areas to get away from cities. They have the option of living in the city, and most choose not to, but if they did they would easily become the majority in many cities as they were in the past.

That is harder to accomplish for someone who is non-white than it is for someone who is white, especially based on economic factors. There are less middle class minorities than there are middle class whites, so 9 times out of 10, middle class minorities have to move in to predominately white areas if they are looking for a lifestyle that a middle class resident would want. In fact, for a non-white person, the more wealthy they are, the less likely they are to find neighborhoods of their own race. It is not equivalent the other way around.

The definition of privilege is what you are given without effort. The fact that your family immigrated here upon their own free will (regardless of reason) is already a privilege that most African Americans (who are most often descendants of slaves) never had. Even if you are not racist or support racism yourself, you have already benefited from racist institutions and practices.

By wanting to live in a 'white' neighborhood, you're essentially wanting something that is already freely accessible to you with minimal effort. Because of historical segregation, whites today can easily find the neighborhood they want with whites already living there. That's incredibly harder for a non-white.
But, that's not MY problem. I shouldn't live my life feeling guilty for being white and I won't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
This is a blatant lie. Spread misinformation much?
Even buckhead feels nasty and unsafe, compared to sub par areas of other cities. And that's a pretty pale area, Atlanta is just a hole...

Old 12-13-2014, 06:41 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkitalian1993 View Post
But, that's not MY problem. I shouldn't live my life feeling guilty for being white and I won't
Acknowledging you've inadvertantly have privileges from your skin color does not mean you should feel guilty — it's just a "this is how it is'. I do agree with most of you OP, though.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:51 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Even buckhead feels nasty and unsafe, compared to sub par areas of other cities. And that's a pretty pale area, Atlanta is just a hole...
And this is just another absolute LIE. Well traveled people know better, and you have an obvious agenda.

Anyone from Brooklyn calling Atlanta a 'hole' needs therapy.

And while you're making that appointment, please text all of your friends and ask them to stop moving here. We have quite enough Brooklyn folks now. Thank you.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Acknowledging you've inadvertantly have privileges from your skin color does not mean you should feel guilty — it's just a "this is how it is'.
See this is my problem. White people do not owe people of color anything and vice versa. Will Smiths black kids are more privileged than my future kids.

nobody owes anyone, anything except for common decency. no guilt or acknowledgement or anything. History gave me a better deal and i don't feel bad. perhaps people should stop asking for acknowledgement. of crap that happened decades/centuries ago and instead try to be so exceptional that it negates the bad history. but no, it's easier to complain that Rosa Parks couldn't ride the bus or that Cesar Chavez was treated badly by farmers. a better strategy would be to emulate the most successful group instead of demanding acknowledgement. i was born in the 90s, my parents were born in the seventies, and my grandparents were raised in worse conditions than you could imagine but instead of whining about unfairness they emulated the successful demographic and escaped poverty in one generation. people of color don't gve themselves enough credit. maybe try, instead of cry?

Old 12-13-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And this is just another absolute LIE. Well traveled people know better, and you have an obvious agenda.

Anyone from Brooklyn calling Atlanta a 'hole' needs therapy.
Do you work for the DeKalb county tourism dept?!
parts of the metro are beautiful, Cumming, Tucker, Marrieta etc. but so is Ann Arbor and Livonia in MI. Doesn't make the D any less god forsaken..

Old 12-13-2014, 07:02 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Do you work for the DeKalb county tourism dept?!
parts of the metro are beautiful, Cumming, Tucker, Marrieta etc. but so is Ann Arbor and Livonia in MI. Doesn't make the D any less god forsaken..
You are beyond clueless. Just stop...

Project your hatred and insanity elsewhere.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:47 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
Quote:
Well, you certainly don't feel guilty when you jog past an amputee in a wheelchair do you? No, you acknowledge what you have and if your feeling charitable, use the privilege you have to help someone without the same privileges. You're not obligated to, but you certainly should be aware of the reality of your circumstances.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:14 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
Quote:
See this is my problem. White people do not owe people of color anything and vice versa. Will Smiths black kids are more privileged than my future kids.
This is simply not true. Even if they have more money than you or your kids, they have had to go through more hoops to reach it. I can guarantee Will Smith has probably had to deal with more racism than you or your parents had.

Does that mean you should go watch all of his movies? No. But at the very least, you owe him and his family respect, like you would any other person. Because there are plenty of people out there who will disrespect him just for the color of his skin and that's what you have to keep in mind.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:48 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
This is simply not true. Even if they have more
money than you or your kids, they have had to go through more hoops to reach it.
I can guarantee Will Smith has probably had to deal with more racism than you or
your parents had.
I would go as far as to say that the President of the United States has endured, and still endures, more racism than this clueless individual, his parents, or his grandparents have.

Quote:
Does that mean you should go watch all of his movies? No. But at the very least,
you owe him and his family respect, like you would any other person. Because
there are plenty of people out there who will disrespect him just for the
color of his skin and that's what you have to keep in mind
Yes, we see this happening to the Obamas and other prominent African Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.