Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 11:50 PM

26 posts, read 42,283 times

Advertisements

I'm a 28 year old EMT from Boston (Southie). Also served in the Armed Forces and got my honorable discharge (US Army). Looking to get the hell out of Boston.

Not a fan of crazy taxes, insane prices for housing (I will never be able to buy a home here), and the multi-culti nightmare (there should be nowhere in Americas birthplace where English isn't the dominant language on the streets) etc. not trying to get into a debate but I just want a good place for me.

I lean right politically, but I'm not an ideologue and I don't care about peoples political views as long as it isn't shoved down your throats like it is in a lot of places (here in Boston and when I was in SF are great examples of what I don't want) however there are some places in this country where if you even utter that you're a republican people will treat you like you told them you eat babies for lunch. I don't care about social issues really (not a homophobe or religious particularly) however I would like somewhere that I would be able to get a firearms permit for concealed carry.

I know I probably wouldn't like inner city Portland or Seattle, but are there other places in the states? My research has shown me that off of the coasts both states are a little bit more red (less populate than Portland or Seattle though).

A few places on my radar are Spokane, WA, Medford, OR..or living in the suburbs of Portland (especially on the WA side but open to suggestions) or in the suburbs of Seattle (Aberdeen looks nice but tbh I only researched it because I am a big Nirvana fan lol so I am open to others). Or alternatively I could live in Coeur D'Alene Idaho and commute into Spokane but that seems like a crappy commute (35 miles one way).

Looking to go somewhere moderate politically, mild weather (not crazy hot or crazy cold like the Northeast) with decent urban infrastructure (don't wanna be in the boonies) and also jobs most importantly!

Does anywhere in the NW sound right? If so where?

If you have suggestions for other regions I would love to know as well.

Also, I know how these threads can turn into off topic arguments about politics and race just like every where else on the internet but please let's try not too. I just want to find the place for me in this beautiful country.

Thanks and hope to hear from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 07:54 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Check out Tacoma which doesn't have Seattle's vibe, but is obviously right smack in the middle of the metro area and offers plenty to do with a lot of employment options. Pierce County actually votes "red" overall in general elections.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:39 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times
Aberdeen... isn't and will never be considered a Seattle suburb. That place is a dump.

Tacoma and Olympia are good options to consider. People tend to think they're more left than they actually are, especially Olympia. But they've got a good balance in idealogies, especially when you compare to Seattle (which quite frankly will mirror your Boston experience).

Vancouver, Wa is sleepy, but you got Portland down the road.

How does CDA come up, but not Boise?

Old 12-15-2014, 01:54 PM

26 posts, read 42,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Aberdeen... isn't and will never be considered a Seattle suburb. That place is a dump.

Tacoma and Olympia are good options to consider. People tend to think they're more left than they actually are, especially Olympia. But they've got a good balance in idealogies, especially when you compare to Seattle (which quite frankly will mirror your Boston experience).

Vancouver, Wa is sleepy, but you got Portland down the road.

How does CDA come up, but not Boise?
Hm, I am just really scared that I won't fit in the Seattle Metro....I have a very low tolerance for hippy-ness not from people but if the government is one of those really "progressive" high tax/environmentalist policies and SF style politicians. Also is the area somewhere with lots of people from other countries? I ask because it is incredibly bothersome for me (to the point of anger) when I walk a around somewhere and hear a lot of languages that aren't english.

CDA came up because of it's proximity to Spokane.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:02 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Jack View Post
Hm, I am just really scared that I won't fit in the Seattle Metro....I have a very low tolerance for hippy-ness not from people but if the government is one of those really "progressive" high tax/environmentalist policies and SF style politicians. Also is the area somewhere with lots of people from other countries? I ask because it is incredibly bothersome for me (to the point of anger) when I walk a around somewhere and hear a lot of languages that aren't english. CDA came up because of it's proximity to Spokane.

In that case I'm thinking Northern Idaho would be a perfect place for you.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:13 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In that case I'm thinking Northern Idaho would be a perfect place for you.
North Idaho is amazing, easily one of the most beautiful places in all of the USA.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:48 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times
Quote:
Hm, I am just really scared that I won't fit in the Seattle Metro....I have a very low tolerance for hippy-ness not from people but if the government is one of those really "progressive" high tax/environmentalist policies and SF style politicians. Also is the area somewhere with lots of people from other countries? I ask because it is incredibly bothersome for me (to the point of anger) when I walk a around somewhere and hear a lot of languages that aren't english.

CDA came up because of it's proximity to Spokane.
Olympia is an hour away from Seattle, non-traffic. You're more likely to get annoyed by one of those progressive Evergreen State College students than a foreigner. I generally don't count it as a part of Seattle metro.

However, you want to talk about the government? Seattle wields a huge political hammer to the entire state and it can do that just by sheer population numbers. There are actually signs around in the state that say "Don't let Seattle steal this election". As a WA citizen, you are going to deal with and hear of these "progressive" high tax/environmentalist policy/SF style politicians. The further away you're from Seattle, the more muted the Liberal in-your-face attitude becomes. For a lot of people, the Seattle suburbs provides that centrist, normal feel. Personally, I think Tacoma has the right balance. Plus the military bases nearby does extend influence on Tacoma as well. But I don't know if it will be enough to satisfy you... Given the extent of your feelings, why would you look at the 2 states that are known for their liberalism (even if you're looking in the more Conservative section)?

Old 12-15-2014, 04:06 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
North Idaho is amazing, easily one of the most beautiful places in all of the USA.
Beautiful lakes in the area, highest concentration of freshwater lakes in the West. And definitely a better fit for the OP than OR and WA.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:24 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
Quote:
Looking to go somewhere moderate politically, mild weather (not crazy hot or crazy cold like the Northeast) with decent urban infrastructure (don't wanna be in the boonies) and also jobs most importantly!
Not entirely sure how "urban" you are looking, but you mention Medford, so here goes: Medford is a small city, population about 72,000, the largest city in a roughly 200,000 pop metro area. It has a definite downtown area, a small satellite airport (direct flights daily to Portland, San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, multiple times a week to LA and Phoenix), minimal public transit. There are two main hospitals in Medford, Providence and Asante/Rogue Valley, plus smaller medical complexes in Ashland and Grants Pass. While the unemployment rate is relatively high, I'd guess an experienced EMT can find a job (barring certification issues that I know nothing about).

Middle-of-the-road politically, pretty close to 50-50, more red in the outlying areas, more blue in the city areas, particularly the city of Ashland, which is new-age, artsy, etc and probably not on your list.

Hot summers (avg July temp is 90°, every summer it hits 100° plus 10-13 days), cool, mild, rainy winters with maybe a dusting of snow. Long spring, fairly short fall. For the Pacific Northwest, a short winter (Nov to mid-March). Big emphasis on the outdoors, camping, hiking, fishing, hunting. There is also a thriving winery/microbrewery culture - the wineries have a lot of music in the summer.

Keep in mind that while the smaller cities in the NW are not Boston-expensive, none of them are cheap, either. There is also a fairly big cultural difference between the east and west coasts - the general view is that the west coast is more laid back, less interested in "live to work", less in-your-face but more passive-aggressive. Conflict, and sometimes directness, is not valued as a way of communication.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:28 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
OP, I can't think of anywhere in the NW to recommend you, and that includes not recommending Spokane, Medford, and even Coeur d'Alene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.