Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 06:18 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydenmitchell View Post
The U.S.'s most dangorous areas are Detriot, Miami, Dallas, and St. Louis.
Where is Detriot? I've never heard of it.

I don't know the stats, but the DC area seems more dangerous than Detroit. I'm talking area, not city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 09:15 AM

572 posts, read 1,994,747 times
St. Louis has a high murder/ assault rate in the city but the metro area is very safe. The metro area is not on par with Miami or New Orleans.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:22 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
New Orleans is a very dangerous place. Just because it's not students and tourists being killed doesn't make a difference at all. Where in this country is it normal for tourists or students to be killed???

It's not like 50 tourists a year are being gunned down in St. Louis!! I can't even remember the last time a toursit has been murdered in Chicago. I've been here 7 years and don't remember it ever happening. I think it would be huge news anywhere since it would scare people away and be horrible for the cities image.

New Orleans is thug crime (like every other large city), but there's a LOT more per person than most other areas in the country. You can't deny that! I love NO, but come on, it's a very dangerous area.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:35 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Wow! When I consider Scranton (pop. 75,000) had 1 murder in 2005, 0 in 2006, and 2 in 2007 and then realize that people here do nothing but complain about the "high crime" I can truly realize that people here are just Chicken Little morons who don't know what they're talking about.
My hometown has a population of 39,000. In:

2003:
5 murders
26 rapes
168 robberies
523 assaults

2004:
5 murders
18 rapes
105 robberies
598 assaults

The murder rate isn't too bad but our assault rate is astronomical.

Funny thing is, nobody there complains about the crime. I bring up the high crime rate, and people act surprised.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:42 AM

I'm not sure if you were responding to me but I was saying that New Orleans is high on the list as the most dangerous metro. St. Louis is way down the list.

But...I think people on this forum are obsessed with crime stats. I live in the city of St. Louis and I have never been robbed nor have I been shot and killed. Most major crime happens in certain neighborhoods and is directed at specific people.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
But...I think people on this forum are obsessed with crime stats.
One thread constitutes an "obsession" to you?

Quote:
I live in the city of St. Louis and I have never been robbed nor have I been shot and killed.
No kidding, you've never been killed?
Perhaps that means you're "obsessed" with anecdotal evidence?

Old 02-14-2008, 10:21 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,460 times
new orleans. imho, n.o. is the most violent city in america. on and off the murder capitol for years. nopd estimate a third of all n.o. murders are retaliation.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:58 AM

Anonymous,
I believe there have been several threads regarding crime, murder and such or maybe this one won't die. But one is one too many in my opinion. And if you're slamming me for a little stupid humor, relax.
Crime and murder are real. Very few people on this forum have been affected by the "stats". And here we talk about "stats" far removed from reality. It's not a pleasant topic.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
Anonymous,
I believe there have been several threads regarding crime, murder and such or maybe this one won't die. But one is one too many in my opinion.
Oh? Why should we not talk about crime, murder, and such?

Quote:
Crime and murder are real. Very few people on this forum have been affected by the "stats".
Given that you know nearly nothing about the real lives of C-D posters, what are you basing this conclusion on?

Quote:
And here we talk about "stats" far removed from reality. It's not a pleasant topic.
Who is we? How do you know that the people you're talking to are far removed from crime? If it is an unpleasant topic, why are you participating in the thread?

Old 02-14-2008, 11:50 AM

Wow. Relax and Backoff.
I added a comment to the thread to state that the St. Louis metro area is not one the most dangerous.
I have an opinion that talking about murder is an unpleasant topic and I have an opinion that most people on this forum have not been directly affected by a murder and I bet I'm right. If you have been directly affected by a murder, then I'm sorry to hear that. If you have not then...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.