Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 11:30 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,494,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Huh? Really? Not much of this makes sense.
Agreed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 12:00 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,209,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, to me, the West Coast is much less into nightlife. Closing time in LA and SF is 2 AM, and they are both early-to-bed cities.

On the East Coast, all the major cities have later closing time. NYC and Miami, in particular, crush anything on the West Coast in terms of clubbing and nightlife.

This! It's just the way the cities are but yes I have observed this first hand. Although Chicago (which was the most diverse club I have ever attended and loved it)can have a decent club scene and the cities in Texas. But by in large the east coast is more club oriented by far than the West. I was horrified when the club in Hollywood was closing at 2AM. I'm from North Carolina and even here 3AM is the going time. I was SO surprised.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:44 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,382,097 times
I know here in Boston (Worcester and Lowell to) Pubs are more common. If you want the Club Feel Providence is probably you best option, although Boylston Street in Boston has some clubs.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:14 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,758,968 times
Not with a 1:30 am last call for most west coast cities

Old 12-22-2014, 05:56 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,836,869 times
NY is a major nightlife state for sure. State law allows bars and clubs to stay open til 4:00 am. So, even smaller cities like Buffalo, Rochester and Albany have bars that stay open til 4:00 am!

Washington DC and Atlanta have pretty big nightlife, too.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:19 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,613,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Outside of Los Angeles and Vegas, the West Coast doesn't really have a clubbing scene. San Francisco has more of a lounge + bar scene, while San Diego has more of bar/gastropub thing going on...Portland is closer to San Diego. Can't speak for Seattle.
Scottsdale too.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:35 PM

696 posts, read 1,163,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Outside of Los Angeles and Vegas, the West Coast doesn't really have a clubbing scene. San Francisco has more of a lounge + bar scene, while San Diego has more of bar/gastropub thing going on...Portland is closer to San Diego. Can't speak for Seattle.
Are you forgetting Long Beach?

Long Beach has a good nightlife and is underrated IMO.

Los Angeles nightlife isn't too bad either.

Also I include Vegas with part of the West Coast (culturally) they are quality.

Don't forget San Diego, NOT bad, and Seattle is good.

The Bay area has good nightlife too.

---

As far as the East Coast is concerned they are quality too

Miami has great nightlife
NYC has great nightlife
Philly I would say is good.
Orlando I would say is good if you count that East Coast

So overall both are good.

I would say the Midwest (other than chicago) has probably the weakest nightlife

Southwest isn't all the greatest either (El Paso, Albuquerque, Denver, Phoenix)

Southern cities have some good nightlife: Dallas , Atlanta, Houston

Old 12-22-2014, 09:29 PM

2,690 posts, read 3,156,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbanks78 View Post
What about Chicago/Midwest?
Chicago's nightlife is a different ballgame compared to the rest of the Midwestern cities due to its size. For example, St. Louis is even more bar oriented than Chicago, and they typically close earlier (most at 1:30). There are some 3 am bars though, and you'll also find some people driving into Illinois as well in order to stay out later.

As for Chicago and how it's oriented, Chicago is going to have more bars (of various varieties) and cocktail lounges over clubs, but the city does have clubs. You'll also find plenty of mixed establishments that will breakup their feel through the use of various rooms or floors. For example, you might have a bar that has a first floor that has a main bar and a lot of seating so you can chill while you're eating and drinking, but upstairs might be a dance floor.

Chicago's bars are also open fairly late, as there are plenty of places that are typically open until 2 and then 3 on Saturdays. You'll also have the same with the late night bars during the week that are typically open until 4, and then they'll be open until 5 on Saturdays.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:52 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,386,394 times
I agree with this. Plus the population density of Manhattan surpasses that of any other places in America. With the fashion industry also located in the city (alongside the bankers & yuppies), it's just a perfect storm of "models & bottles" lol. But then again one can argue that bottle service killed the true club scene.

NYC also is a mandatory stop for any international or domestic artist or electronica DJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey joe-joe View Post
East Coast, quite easily.

Major stock exchanges on the East Coast = More high paying office jobs on East Coast = Yuppies = Willing to spend big money at clubs on Fridays and Saturdays.

Plus there's less to do during the day on the East Coast so the Eastern cities find other ways to get creative for their nightlife. Out West you can surf (in SoCal), go hiking, bike riding, skiing, etc, so there is less importance placed on night life, and therefore less of the clubbing scene.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:54 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,386,394 times
Chicago is the closest thing to NYC between the coasts. There are a lot of clubs located in the River North & Gold Coast areas of the city (near downtown). The rest of the neighborhoods are more known for a thriving bar / lounge scene (Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, etc.).

I think Detroit might rebound a bit and become a bit like the Berlin of the Midwest. Being the birthplace of techno & with massive investments taking place in Midtown & downtown Detroit, you just never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Chicago's nightlife is a different ballgame compared to the rest of the Midwestern cities due to its size. For example, St. Louis is even more bar oriented than Chicago, and they typically close earlier (most at 1:30). There are some 3 am bars though, and you'll also find some people driving into Illinois as well in order to stay out later.

As for Chicago and how it's oriented, Chicago is going to have more bars (of various varieties) and cocktail lounges over clubs, but the city does have clubs. You'll also find plenty of mixed establishments that will breakup their feel through the use of various rooms or floors. For example, you might have a bar that has a first floor that has a main bar and a lot of seating so you can chill while you're eating and drinking, but upstairs might be a dance floor.

Chicago's bars are also open fairly late, as there are plenty of places that are typically open until 2 and then 3 on Saturdays. You'll also have the same with the late night bars during the week that are typically open until 4, and then they'll be open until 5 on Saturdays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.