Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 02:23 PM

854 posts, read 1,701,500 times

Advertisements

We are looking into possible places to move for retirement, and don't want to be among religious nuts. A couple towns we are interested in are

Guntersville, AL

Clemson, SC

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 03:41 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Bible Belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good luck.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:16 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,341 times
Walk around and see if you can find a planned parenthood... None in sight? You're in the Bible Belt.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:24 PM

854 posts, read 1,701,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Thanks. That is one scary article.

So I guess Clemson and Guntersville are bad choices?

Old 12-20-2014, 05:55 PM

448 posts, read 812,579 times
Quote:
So I guess Clemson and Guntersville are bad choices?
Yep. You generally want to avoid anything south of the Mason-Dixon line (with the exception of DE, MD, and Northern VA) and probably the southern parts of IL, IN, and OH as well. As a general rule (to which, of course, there are exceptions - notably the Mormon belt) the US is less religious as you move west or north.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:24 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Yes, don't move anywhere in the South.

Just going about your business you will constantly be stopped throughout the day with complete strangers continually trying to 'convert' you. At your mailbox, in traffic at red lights, walking in your own neighborhood or the mall, at work, practically anywhere you go.

There is no escaping this, outside of your home. Even in your own yard there will be attempts at conversion to 'the other side.'

In other words, PLEASE don't move here with that outlook.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:29 PM

562 posts, read 1,125,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yes, don't move anywhere in the South.

Just going about your business you will constantly be stopped throughout the day with complete strangers continually trying to 'convert' you. At your mailbox, in traffic at red lights, walking in your own neighborhood or the mall, at work, practically anywhere you go.

There is no escaping this, outside of your home. Even in your own yard there will be attempts at conversion to 'the other side.'

In other words, PLEASE don't move here with that outlook.
If you are in some of the larger metros of the South, this isn't the case at all. I have lived in Metro Atlanta for almost 30 years, and I have not experienced anything like what the above poster has stated.

Now, the small town South is a different matter!!!

Old 12-20-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
If you are in some of the larger metros of the South, this isn't the case at all. I have lived in Metro Atlanta for almost 30 years, and I have not experienced anything like what the above poster has stated.

Now, the small town South is a different matter!!!
I also live in Atlanta.

My post is dripping in sarcasm. I honestly can't believe people think they can't move to the South without having to deal with the 'Bible Belt' dominating life in this day and age. It seems as if ignorance has indeed won.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:38 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Clemson is a college town. I think you'll be ok there, although it is probably one of the more conservative college towns in the country.

I don't know anything about Guntersville.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Clemson is a college town. I think you'll be ok there, although it is probably one of the more conservative college towns in the country.

I don't know anything about Guntersville.
Guntersville is a very pleasant lakeside retirement/suburban area outside of Huntsville.

It's very nice actually, and they don't try to convert you inline at Publix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.