Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2020, 11:55 AM

13,945 posts, read 14,839,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Its because its so close to NYC people have a better perspective on how much smaller and insignificant Philly is compared to NYC.

Up in Boston many New Englanders don't go to NYC much or know much about it (many do) but the distance creates this illogical disconnect where Bostonians think the city is bigger and more able to rival NYC. Its not. They just forget how tiny Boston is. They think because everyone in MA wants to be 'from Boston' and RI and NH rely on the Boston engine thats is actually the end all be all ..the holy grail. Big fish, little New England pond.

Harder to do that in Philly when NYC is only an hour and a half away.
I think it’s because the Red Sox are in the AL while the Phillies are in the NL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 01:36 PM

11,980 posts, read 7,742,806 times
Quote:
Its because its so close to NYC people have a better perspective on how much smaller and insignificant Philly is compared to NYC.

Up in Boston many New Englanders don't go to NYC much or know much about it (many do) but the distance creates this illogical disconnect where Bostonians think the city is bigger and more able to rival NYC. Its not. They just forget how tiny Boston is. They think because everyone in MA wants to be 'from Boston' and RI and NH rely on the Boston engine thats is actually the end all be all ..the holy grail. Big fish, little New England pond.

Harder to do that in Philly when NYC is only an hour and a half away.
One thing I noticed is Boston encompasses a more unified land area around its city limits than NYC. f you go to NJ or LI, people dont say they are from the NYC Area.. they say "NJ" or :"Long Island" or "Westchester". When you go to Boston, you can have people as far out as Falmouth, Westerly RI, Worcester, Fitchburg, Keene NH, Manchester NH and Ogunquit ME saying im "From Boston". Boston itself plays a vital role in the culture of many from Eastern New England whereas NYC Area feels more detached from unity. That alone could make Boston feel bigger to Bostonians and regional East New Englanders because a lot of people recognize "Boston" as more than just the city limits. Purely cultural, unique and interesting. That energy propels Boston up a few notches than it actually is. A lot of Bostonians put Boston in the same category as NYC, LA and Chitown.

Like growing up I was from Boston.. but in a different city I wouldnt say I was from my local city due to regional absorption. Boston is more than a city to 8+ million people.

Old 05-04-2020, 01:43 PM

21,432 posts, read 12,434,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
One thing I noticed is Boston encompasses a more unified land area around its city limits than NYC. f you go to NJ or LI, people dont say they are from the NYC Area.. they say "NJ" or :"Long Island" or "Westchester". When you go to Boston, you can have people as far out as Falmouth, Westerly RI, Worcester, Fitchburg, Keene NH, Manchester NH and Ogunquit ME saying im "From Boston". Boston itself plays a vital role in the culture of many from Eastern New England whereas NYC Area feels more detached from unity. That alone could make Boston feel bigger to Bostonians and regional East New Englanders because a lot of people recognize "Boston" as more than just the city limits. Purely cultural, unique and interesting. That energy propels Boston up a few notches than it actually is. A lot of Bostonians put Boston in the same category as NYC, LA and Chitown.

Like growing up I was from Boston.. but in a different city I wouldnt say I was from my local city due to regional absorption. Boston is more than a city to 8+ million people.
I think..

There’s a relative lack of culture/excitement/amenities and sophistication in most Boston area communities compared to NYC area communities. Thus people patch on to Boston more, unless they’re from a large principal/satellite city in the area

People from 40 miles outside of Boston will slap their own mother to justify being ‘from Boston’ no one is doing that in Westchester or Long Island or Newark.

The bride one and homogeneity of many Boston area communities leave their resident wanting a more identifiable identity even if they don’t culturally or economically have a ton in common with residents of Boston.

Old 05-04-2020, 01:54 PM

13,945 posts, read 14,839,722 times
Quote:
I think..

There’s a relative lack of culture/excitement/amenities and sophistication in most Boston area communities compared to NYC area communities. Thus people patch on to Boston more, unless they’re from a large principal/satellite city in the area

People from 40 miles outside of Boston will slap their own mother to justify being ‘from Boston’ no one is doing that in Westchester or Long Island or Newark.

The bride one and homogeneity of many Boston area communities leave their resident wanting a more identifiable identity even if they don’t culturally or economically have a ton in common with residents of Boston.
I think it’s more simple than that. Size and recognizability. Because New York is the cultural center of America people know a lot more about it than any other city. People in Kansas know what Brooklyn is. People know what New Jersey is.

Something like the Merrimack Valley or North Shore, a geographically an culturally distinct region of metro Boston does not have the same profile.

2nd is size since they don’t use counties in New England we have no recognizable units of community governance larger than 200,000 outiside of Boston. Westchester, Nassau etc have actual powers that bind a region together in terms of identity.

Long Island is generally split into two geographic regions (Suffolk and Nassau) compared to the North Shore which is like 17 towns and 1/5th of the population

Old 05-04-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I think..

Thats definitely not true. I dont think one lacks sophistication or culture by using "Boston" as a cultural regional point of reference to describe where they are from. Long Island and NJ suburbs pale in comparison to Boston's sophistication, but they dont use NYC as a reference point.. so that statement is invalid. Boston is more a city, and more of a cultural place of identity. Boston is more than a border to a lot of New Englanders too.

I know you don't like it but thats just the attitude of many people in the region. It has nothing to do with educational attainment, amenities, sophistication or even lack of culture (?). Its city pride mixed in with "Why the hell am I going to tell you im from Bridgewater MA when you most likely have no idea where that is".

Old 05-04-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Thats definitely not true. I dont think one lacks sophistication or culture by using "Boston" as a cultural regional point of reference to describe where they are from. Long Island and NJ suburbs pale in comparison to Boston's sophistication, but they dont use NYC as a reference point.. so that statement is invalid. Boston is more a city, and more of a cultural place of identity. Boston is more than a border to a lot of New Englanders too.

I know you don't like it but thats just the attitude of many people in the region. It has nothing to do with educational attainment, amenities, sophistication or even lack of culture (?). Its city pride mixed in with "Why the hell am I going to tell you im from Bridgewater MA when you most likely have no idea where that is".
You tell me you’re from Bridgewater because your from Bridgewater the same way people tell me they’re from Westchester when they’re form Westchester lol. Why do you always say this like it’s a stumper... many ways you literally just and Enes your argument. No one knows Bridgewater because it’s boring bland and nothing and literally has haystacks and barns and is 25 miles from Boston. Because they feel and their town is boring and unknown they substitute Boston even though The two share nothing in common.

This isn’t Phoenix to Tempe or East LA to LA. The demographic, infrastructural, and economic differences from the core City/urbanized area are too vast.

Is one thing to be from Somerville or Cambridge and be out of town and be like I’m from Boston, I get that it’s not BOSTON. But I get it. But Bridgewater?? No.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
You tell me you’re from Bridgewater because your from Bridgewater the same way people tell me they’re from Westchester when they’re form Westchester lol. Why do you always say this like it’s a stumper...
Westchester is a county. And thats a different metropolitan area with a whole different identity/culture/etc. Brdgewater is a small town south of Brockton.

Why does Bostonians saying the region they are from/associated with bother you so much? This is the first im hearing of someone getting triggered by this.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Westchester is a county. And thats a different metropolitan area with a whole different identity/culture/etc. Brdgewater is a small town south of Brockton.

Why does Bostonians saying the region they are from/associated with bother you so much? This is the first im hearing of someone getting triggered by this.
Even still no one from Poughkeepsie says theyre from NYC, not do people from Yonkers not do people from Greenwich or Newark.

Bridgewater is a town. With its own governance, in a different county than Boston. Full stop.

It triggers me because it’s so corny and such a wannabe move. Yuck.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:21 PM

37,796 posts, read 41,526,758 times
Quote:
You tell me you’re from Bridgewater because your from Bridgewater the same way people tell me they’re from Westchester when they’re form Westchester lol. Why do you always say this like it’s a stumper... many ways you literally just and Enes your argument. No one knows Bridgewater because it’s boring bland and nothing and literally has haystacks and barns and is 25 miles from Boston. Because they feel and their town is boring and unknown they substitute Boston even though The two share nothing in common.

This isn’t Phoenix to Tempe or East LA to LA. The demographic, infrastructural, and economic differences from the core City/urbanized area are too vast.

Is one thing to be from Somerville or Cambridge and be out of town and be like I’m from Boston, I get that it’s not BOSTON. But I get it. But Bridgewater?? No.
What if they say they are from the Boston area?

Old 05-04-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What if they say they are from the Boston area?
Yea that’s what I’d expect you to say. That’s where you’re from.

It takes zero effort to not sound like a cornball lol. People just get mad when they tell you they’re form Boston in another state but they find out your ACTUALLY from Boston. When you ask what neighborhood they’re face looks like you caught a kid with his hand in the cookie jar.

Regardless of what I say here suburbanites are gonna eschew it for the cool points and recognizability-I get it. When my mom lived in Bridgewater the second half of my senior year in HS never did I stay out there because I went to school in BOSTON. Bridgewater was too far. I’m not tryna go back down this path..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.