Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 10:33 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
There are quite a number of places in the Midwest that would offer the college experience you wanted, but miss out on some of the other criteria. Penn State and Michigan State are fairly isolated, have a great history department, and lots of school spirit, but I guess misses out on your too many international student criteria. I'm not sure if either are on your list. Ohio State has too many international students and is in a city that's too large for your criteria, but despite the largeness of Columbus, most of the city is in scarlet and gray on Saturdays in the fall and many restaurants close during Buckeye games or have the game on a TV screen. I think that your criterion about 5% or lower international students may be a little misguided as many of the international students are from southern or eastern Asia and like to congregate on their own, and you wouldn't regularly meet them if you didn't have to. Also, most international students are graduate students, and if you are an undergraduate student, you would be primarily in classes with Americans.
Yes, but Penn State is NOT located in the Midwest. Pennsylvania is a Northeastern state. For the sake of the OP rather than simply correcting you. OP does not seem to be looking for a Northeastern school, though oddly added URI to the list afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 08:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
St. Olaf College is an excellent school academically. Northfield is a nice, typical US college town. Most of the international students at Olaf are (or were when my daughter went there anyway) Asian. You'd be closer to Canada than at any of the other colleges, but it's still about a 5 hr drive up there, and there's no city nearby in Canada. It looks like the closest city is Winnipeg, Manitoba, 7 1/2 hours.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:02 AM

7 posts, read 6,591 times
Thanks all

Old 12-27-2014, 07:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beingbeige View Post
Thanks all
A pleasure.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:41 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beingbeige View Post
Thanks all
Good luck! Let us know what you pick if you can.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:36 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
I think that Missouri may be more isolated than Ole Miss. It's slightly less than an hour and a half from Oxford to Memphis, while it's 2.5 hours from Columbia to either Kansas City or St. Louis.
Columbia is less than 2 hours from St. Louis (quite a bit less than this actually if you're going by the region as it sprawls a bit down 70), not 2.5. The region's airport (for a population of almost 3 mil) is also along 70 and closer.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:43 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by north2south. View Post
Missouri would be the most conservative in terms of culture and atmosphere.

Mississippi/Louisiana state would be the most "different" in terms of culture

All are huge into football.

Mississippi is the most isolated out of them all in terms of access to other cities or travel.

I don't really think you can go wrong with any of them, all would be unique experiences and offer their own traditions. Southern schools tend to be way more into their colleges (LsU-Mississippi-Oklahoma).
Curious why you say this, can you elaborate?

Old 12-28-2014, 08:04 AM

7 posts, read 6,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Good luck! Let us know what you pick if you can.
I have decided on:

1. University of Missouri (Columbia, MO)
2. University of Kansas (Lawrence, KS)
3. University of Oklahoma (Norman, OK)
4. Louisiana State University (Baton Rouge, LA)
5. University of Mississippi (Oxford, MS)

I haven't submitted it yet as I am not back at university yet but this is my current list Again, thanks for all the help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.