Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Little Rock is more like ATLANTA or more like DALLAS?
Atlanta 33 45.21%
Dallas 40 54.79%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 07:28 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
All I'm saying is the comparison makes no sense at all
OP here. All of the responses make sense to me. Generally, it sounds like Dallas is more in Little Rock's sphere. The argument and evidence seems to build more in that direction. 18 pages in, and about 50 different posters gave a ton of evidence to support that.

I think there are only 2 or 3 posters who don't understand the concept. If we changed cities would it be easier? Dallas is more like Los Angeles or New York? Most would say LA...those comparisons are most commonplace. They would use references due to climate, sprawl, maybe even Mexican food, etc.

You are comparing places....when people 'COMPARE' things, there is no inference that it implies a replica of...

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 03-31-2015 at 07:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I will continue to assert that Little Rock is so unlike either Dallas OR Atlanta that the question is really quite ridiculous.
Another Texas poster that doesn't understand how comparisons work...is that a Texas thing? 2 out of 50 posters don't get it....as they always say, "There is always one." But, in this case there are two.

COMPARISON does not equal REPLICA OF.

The definition of COMPARISON means that you look at the what is being compared, and what is more similar to another one. Is your cousin Jeff more like your cousin John or your cousin Mark? It's not a hard concept to get.

You and your other Texas friend, seem to define 'comparison' as, "Which one is exact replica of Jeff?"...And then your mind explodes when neither is an exact replica.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 03-31-2015 at 07:44 AM..

Old 03-31-2015, 07:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
OP here. All of the responses make sense to me. Generally, it sounds like Dallas is more in Little Rock's sphere. The argument and evidence seems to build more in that direction.

I think there are only 2 or 3 posters who don't understand the concept. If we changed cities would it be easier? Dallas is more like Los Angeles or New York? Most would say LA...those comparisons are most commonplace. They would use references due to climate, sprawl, maybe even Mexican food, etc.

You are comparing places....when people 'COMPARE' things, there is no inference that it implies a replica of...
LOL YOU don't "get the concept." I understand perfectly what you're trying to say, but I'l reiterate that I simply don't agree with it. Big difference.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:17 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,803,645 times
Quote:
Another Texas poster that doesn't understand how comparisons work...is that a Texas thing? 2 out of 50 posters don't get it....as they always say, "There is always one." But, in this case there are two.

COMPARISON does not equal REPLICA OF.

The definition of COMPARISON means that you look at the what is being compared, and what is more similar to another one. Is your cousin Jeff more like your cousin John or your cousin Mark? It's not a hard concept to get.

You and your other Texas friend, seem to define 'comparison' as, "Which one is exact replica of Jeff?"...And then your mind explodes when neither is an exact replica.
The thing is, Little Rock doesn't look or feel anything like Dallas. I am not saying that it isn't a replica, I am saying its NOTHING like Dallas. It really isn't anything like Atlanta either aside from topographical similarities, but there are some similarities compared to rural Georgia. Augusta and Little Rock could be compared directly, both being around the same size and sharing some cultural similarities.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:23 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,917,960 times
Quote:
LOL YOU don't "get the concept." I understand perfectly what you're trying to say, but I'l reiterate that I simply don't agree with it. Big difference.
Exactly.

The pull & influence on Little Rock is greater from Dallas than Atlanta.

Any possible similarities with either begin and end there./

Old 04-01-2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The thing is, Little Rock doesn't look or feel anything like Dallas. I am not saying that it isn't a replica, I am saying its NOTHING like Dallas. It really isn't anything like Atlanta either aside from topographical similarities, but there are some similarities compared to rural Georgia. Augusta and Little Rock could be compared directly, both being around the same size and sharing some cultural similarities.
What are some of the cultural similarities that you'd compare Little Rock to Augusta, or rural Georgia?

Old 04-01-2015, 06:12 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,268 times
Little Rock and Dallas may not look much alike today, but its hard to deny the historical cultural ties that Little Rock and Arkansas have with North Texas in general.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Little Rock and Dallas may not look much alike today, but its hard to deny the historical cultural ties that Little Rock and Arkansas have with North Texas in general.

Northeast Texas, yes, to some extent, because northeast Texas was agrarian, much like southwest Arkansas and northeast Louisiana. Cities in NE Texas, such as Tyler, Longview, Marshall, Texarkana, and the smaller towns surrounding those have always had strong cultural and economic ties to Shreveport, El Dorado, Magnolia, Nachitoches, and to cities a bit further flung like Monroe LA, Memphis TN,and Little Rock AR.

But Dallas has culturally and historically been much more "western" in nature and economically. Yes, it's a hub of commerce, like Little Rock, Shreveport, Oklahoma City, Jackson MS, and Atlanta, so of course there are economic ties with LR, just like there are economic ties to all the cities above.

The following article about railroad history in Arkansas is pretty interesting. It shows the economic ties that Little Rock had to other cities in the region. Reading the article, you can actually envision the active trade between Little Rock and other Arkansas cities, with St Louis, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Texarkana, Nashville, Oklahoma City, and (mentioned over and over again - you guessed it) MEMPHIS. Though of course there were trains running to Dallas or Fort Worth via lines that went through Little Rock as well, the same could be said for Atlanta.

History of Arkansas Railroads

By the way, Dallas wasn't even declared a CITY till 1871. Little Rock and Atlanta had been cities for forty years by that time.

Railroads were what connected cities as our country grew. The Memphis/Little Rock railroad was the first railroad built in Arkansas.
Memphis and Little Rock Railroad (M&LR) - Encyclopedia of Arkansas

You can also see by reading various articles on the economic history of Arkansas that the strongest cultural and economic ties were with St Louis. In fact, Dallas is seldom mentioned - nor is Atlanta.

Just some interesting tidbits.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Northeast Texas, yes, to some extent, because northeast Texas was agrarian, much like southwest Arkansas and northeast Louisiana. Cities in NE Texas, such as Tyler, Longview, Marshall, Texarkana, and the smaller towns surrounding those have always had strong cultural and economic ties to Shreveport, El Dorado, Magnolia, Nachitoches, and to cities a bit further flung like Monroe LA, Memphis TN,and Little Rock AR.

But Dallas has culturally and historically been much more "western" in nature and economically. Yes, it's a hub of commerce, like Little Rock, Shreveport, Oklahoma City, Jackson MS, and Atlanta, so of course there are economic ties with LR, just like there are economic ties to all the cities above.
So, therefore...........NE Texas is kinda like Little Rock AR.......but DALLAS is so incredibly unique and western, it has no similarities whatsoever to NE Texas/Arkansas....is that basically what you are saying?

Old 04-01-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
So, therefore...........NE Texas is kinda like Little Rock AR.......but DALLAS is so incredibly unique and western, it has no similarities whatsoever to NE Texas/Arkansas....is that basically what you are saying?
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.