Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 06:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
OMATIC FOR PRESIDENT.. lot of people here on this site are homers for their own city and cannot take it if you slightly even criticize anything about their fav city or home state and they hurl childish insults at all. I loved your post man, right on the money... best post I think I ever seen on here man. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS man, could not have said it anybody myself.
Isn't that the truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I've never been anywhere that didn't have something to appreciate. Something that I didn't take away from the place to remember fondly.
Agreed, but I wouldn't want to live in every place I've visited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 07:43 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,893 times
This site permeates a nauseating culture of hyperbole. Within this culture, well informed and balanced perspectives are scarce. Misnomers and cliches are cleaved to and embellished. Personal bias is conflated to the extent of warped delusion. Posters here spend several hours arguing as if there's a tangible benefit.

I say, do as much research as possible outside of these forums. Little Rock, since childhood has been one of my favorite small-towns in the country. But here, as you've noticed, you'll find very little real information and balanced thoughts about it. Look elsewhere.

Last edited by Chilly Gentilly; 12-25-2014 at 07:58 PM..

Old 12-26-2014, 09:52 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,642 times
No one should ever come to this site for real discussion

Old 12-27-2014, 04:30 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,064 times
I'm here almost entirely for the entertainment factor. Maybe once every six months or so, I'll stumble across some solid info and perhaps even learn something new... but overall these forums are a bit like going to the circus. I just revel in the absurdity of it all. Cheap entertainment.

It beats 95% of what's on TV. I'll just leave it at that.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:05 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I agree with the OP the city bashing is getting old, but come on, Atlanta?

The problem American cities like New York, Chicago and others have is that the downtowns are usually nice but everything around looks horrible for miles and only in the far out suburbs does it start to get nice again. So for every city there will always be something to bash about. Also, every city in the US has really dilapidated parts which increases the likelyhood to get bashed even more. All that in addition to the general decline the US finds itself in which will not have a positive effect on how cities look, just think of the whole rust belt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
There has to be some realistic expectations. If I had an offline friend that wanted to move here, then I would tell them the same things I post in the forum. Many many many people take what they read online and see on tv and believe it as the God's honest truth. They trust the media hype 100% and there are always cheerleaders to back it up. I would want someone to fill me in on the actual day to day living experiences of a city before I moved there. The good and the bad. I've also started to notice a lot of realtors posting on this site. Like they aren't going to inflate the truth.
^^^good points. Also, some who may bash a city whether visiting or living there for a short time
never went out of an area or different parts of it. I know when we would travel, outside from
the tourist attractions, we would wander throughout several neighborhoods/areas and discovered
some wonderful architecture, dining, little museums and got to talk to the locals about it's history
and suggestions of other out of the way places to see (and were never disappointed).

Old 12-28-2014, 05:18 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,893 times
Its funny how a couple of the posters on page 1 agreeing with the OP, epitomize the main complaint....quite ironic

Old 12-29-2014, 07:56 AM

657 posts, read 801,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I agree with the OP the city bashing is getting old, but come on, Atlanta?

The problem American cities like New York, Chicago and others have is that the downtowns are usually nice but everything around looks horrible for miles and only in the far out suburbs does it start to get nice again. So for every city there will always be something to bash about. Also, every city in the US has really dilapidated parts which increases the likelyhood to get bashed even more. All that in addition to the general decline the US finds itself in which will not have a positive effect on how cities look, just think of the whole rust belt.
Isn't this also true for a lot of cities outside the states?

Old 12-29-2014, 09:40 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

On the forums, there is also a tendency to go into sheep mode - people who don't know anything first-hand about a place will regurgitate what they've seen others say negative about it. And they will even argue with someone who actually lives there, and tell them they are wrong LOL! Has happened to me here.
The City Vs City forum is the worst with this. That forum is filled with people who sit in there all day arguing over cities they've never even been too. Just regurgitating what some half assed blogger wrote or something someone else wrote. So much misinformation that I worry it will effect people looking to move to areas of the country.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:56 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
Unfortunately this website is chalk full of San Francisco epitomizing liberal wackos. Learn to look past them for more untainted views.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I have to laugh at some of the people on the CD forum of my previous city from which I recently moved who, when I PM'D them I was leaving for my present city, told me I was out of my mind to leave such a "wonderful" place for such a "terrible" one. These are people I thought would be supportive but instead they tried to discourage me instead of wishing me well. Such narrow mindedness is just amazing to me. The funny and oh so typical thing is, none of them had ever been to my chosen new city but they sure had their snooty opinions about it.

I am so much more happier after relocating because I no longer have the problems I had in my former city which was mainly trying to keep up with the ever increasing COL on a fixed income. And my new city is just awesome with so many more things to offer that I can actually afford. I am also closer to family. Win-win all around.

The best cities are the ones that suit the individual the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.