Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 10:09 AM

910 posts, read 2,983,499 times

Advertisements

I agree with some of these but I disagree with a lot of them aswell. What are your thoughts on these cities being considered, "The Worst Town."

Montgomery, Alabama: Never been there so can't say.

Lake Havasu City, Arizona: Never been there

Phoenix, Arizona: Never been there but I imagine it to be miserable

Little Rock, Arkansas: DISAGREE

Modesto, California: Never been there

Oxnard, California: Never been there

Visalia-Porterville, California: Never been there

Nederland, Colorado: Have to agree

Belle Glade, Florida: Agree

Sylvester, Georgia: Never been there

Markham, Illinois: Agree

Gary, Indiana: Agree

Des Moines, Iowa: DISAGREE

Ellsworth, Kansas: DISAGREE

Baton Rouge, Louisiana: Never been there

Aberdeen, Maryland: DISAGREE

Accident, Maryland: ????

Melrose, Massachusetts: Never been there

Springfield, Massachusetts: Agree

Detroit, Michigan: DISAGREE

Philadelphia, Mississippi: Never been there

Branson, Missouri: DISAGREE

Butte, Montana: Agree

Lincoln, Nebraska: DISAGREE

Battle Mountain, Nevada: Never been there

Kearny, New Jersey: DISAGREE

Penns Grove, New Jersey: Agree

Los Alamos, New Mexico: Never been there

Roswell, New Mexico: I heard that place was strange......... . . . . .

Truth or Consequence, New Mexico: same

Fleischmanns, New York: ?????

Niagra Falls, New York: Agree

Roosevelt Island, New York: Agree

Durham, North Carolina: DISAGREE

Cheshire, Ohio: Agree

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma: DISAGREE

Centralia, Pennsylvania: It's not their fault they got hit with a mine fire.

Intercourse, Pennsylvania: ????

Scranton, Pennsylvania: DISAGREE

Volga, South Dakota: Huh???

Knoxville, Tennessee: DISAGREE

Memphis, Tennessee: Agree

Dallas, Texas: DISAGREE

El Paso, Texas: Never been there

Houston, Texas: DISAGREE

Roby, Texas: ?????

Waco, Texas: DISAGREE

Hildale, Utah: AGREE

Virginia Beach, Virginia: DISAGREE

Casper, Wyoming: Never been there

This book has been rated very low and is poorly written. People are advised to not read this book because it gives false information. Does anybody else disagree with over half of this list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 10:14 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Though I agree with a few cities on that list, what criteria did this guy use? It looks like the person that wrote this just chose a bunch of cities at random and came up with a list.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:25 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
I don't know why they would choose Accident, MD. Its just a really small country town all about farming. Its nothing out of the ordinary at all. I will bet it was chosen because of it's name

at loss with Aberdeen too

Old 12-27-2008, 10:26 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,383 times
It looks like this dude threw darts at a map of the US...lol

Old 12-27-2008, 10:30 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
It is a strange list. There doesn't seem to be any kind of rhyme or reason to it. He puts small cowtowns on the same list next to large cities. What were his criteria? Who is the intended audience? Not every place is right for everyone, and some places are better than others for different things at different times in our lives. And most importantly, who is this Maurice Crow from Adam??

Old 12-27-2008, 10:45 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
I have to agree with Montgomery, Alabama. I had a client there that required me to spend two days weekly there. He asked me what it would require for me to move there and I said, "A gun to my head." I have lived in Chicago, Cleveland, San Diego, Baltimore, and now Birmingham, Alabama (By the way, a very nice gem of a town...forget your preconceptions), and Montgomery is easily one of the most awful mid-sized cities in America.

Seriously. I'm not a snob. I have seen a lot of small cities that had a lot going for them. But Montgomery is one of those towns that seems to be run by a bunch of willful know-nothings who are determined to keep their little burg in the 1950s, no matter what. The rundown:

1) Race relations. I live in Birmingham, which seems to have dealt with its past about as well as any city can be expected to. But in Montgomery, that town is as divided as possible.

2) Social Scene. Basically, in Montgomery, you get married and join a country club. That's it. Very little nightlife, unless you count the summer cotillion or church. What's more, it's a highly stratified social scene. I just don't want to work that hard to know somebody.

3) Restaurants/Diversions. In my three-year relationship with client, I never found a decent restaurant that wasn't part of a chain. And that's pretty remarkable, given that even the smallest of towns will often have a good little bistro somewhere. Now, as far as culture, there is the Alabama Shakespeare Festival, which is of very good quality. But that's it. Nothing else.

4) Economy. If it weren't for the parasitic state government and an Air Force base, Montgomery would be a wide spot in the road. A few years back a Hyundai plant opened there. Otherwise, the economy there is non-existent.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:12 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
I agree with some of these but I disagree with a lot of them aswell. What are your thoughts on these cities being considered, "The Worst Town."

Montgomery, Alabama: Never been there so can't say.

Lake Havasu City, Arizona: Never been there

Phoenix, Arizona: Never been there but I imagine it to be miserable

Little Rock, Arkansas: DISAGREE

Modesto, California: Never been there

Oxnard, California: Never been there

Visalia-Porterville, California: Never been there

Nederland, Colorado: Have to agree

Belle Glade, Florida: Agree

Sylvester, Georgia: Never been there

Markham, Illinois: Agree

Gary, Indiana: Agree

Des Moines, Iowa: DISAGREE

Ellsworth, Kansas: DISAGREE

Baton Rouge, Louisiana: Never been there

Aberdeen, Maryland: DISAGREE

Accident, Maryland: ????

Melrose, Massachusetts: Never been there

Springfield, Massachusetts: Agree

Detroit, Michigan: DISAGREE

Philadelphia, Mississippi: Never been there

Branson, Missouri: DISAGREE

Butte, Montana: Agree

Lincoln, Nebraska: DISAGREE

Battle Mountain, Nevada: Never been there

Kearny, New Jersey: DISAGREE

Penns Grove, New Jersey: Agree

Los Alamos, New Mexico: Never been there

Roswell, New Mexico: I heard that place was strange......... . . . . .

Truth or Consequence, New Mexico: same

Fleischmanns, New York: ?????

Niagra Falls, New York: Agree

Roosevelt Island, New York: Agree

Durham, North Carolina: DISAGREE

Cheshire, Ohio: Agree

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma: DISAGREE

Centralia, Pennsylvania: It's not their fault they got hit with a mine fire.

Intercourse, Pennsylvania: ????

Scranton, Pennsylvania: DISAGREE

Volga, South Dakota: Huh???

Knoxville, Tennessee: DISAGREE

Memphis, Tennessee: Agree

Dallas, Texas: DISAGREE

El Paso, Texas: Never been there

Houston, Texas: DISAGREE

Roby, Texas: ?????

Waco, Texas: DISAGREE

Hildale, Utah: AGREE

Virginia Beach, Virginia: DISAGREE

Casper, Wyoming: Never been there

This book has been rated very low and is poorly written. People are advised to not read this book because it gives false information. Does anybody else disagree with over half of this list?
Wtf!?!?! Waco.....that's my hometown Wtf is Roby,Tx???

I don't even know what to say about this list because it's so random and weird. He picked the two biggest cities in Texas, like seriously did this dude even visit these cities???Has anyone read it?

Old 12-27-2008, 12:38 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
Unbelievably random.

Melrose MA??? I mean.....what the hell

also, how can they include Roswell and not it's neighbor to the south- Artesia, NM which actually deserves to be on this list

Old 12-27-2008, 12:49 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Gotta wonder what the criteria was. How on earth can you compare Branson, MO to Detroit or Montgomery or Phoenix or Baton Rouge? I'd love to know how he came up with these.

I've been to many of these places and just like I have said many times on here, every place on earth has it's good points and it's bad points. Lots of it is subjective too. Obviously a lot of people are willing to put up with the bad points in order to enjoy the good things. Books like this are silly because everybody has their own standards about what is "good" and what is "bad" for them specifically.

Branson, is a great place to live. On the other hand, Durango, Colorado, which is generally considered a great place, sucks eggs, IMHO. But there are people who would fight to the last breath to disagree with me. Who is right and who is wrong? Neither, it's all about what YOU like.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-27-2008, 01:27 PM

88 posts, read 269,270 times
I don't understand why large cities like Dallas and Houston are on the list. Even if you don't care for the particular cities you can still find great shopping, restaurants, and museums to keep you occupied. These two cities have so many amenities and advantage that isolated and impoversihed cities don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.