Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 10:53 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

Just beware that the gay community in the LA metro area is extremely superficial and judgmental. You had better be ripped, tanned and beautiful if you want attention. At least that's what I've heard from gay friends of mine who tried living there. It's a vicious gay community with very high standards and expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 12:09 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,063,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Not really. Not in the 20 something bars in Boystown anyway. Lots of twinks and gay bros in tanks, maybe with a little scruff, but not really a bearded hipster haven.
Well in all fairness I was exploiting stereotypes and being silly, but every time i'm in Chicago it seems like the muscle guys with the trendy beards and man capris have started taking over the north side.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:17 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Well in all fairness I was exploiting stereotypes and being silly, but every time i'm in Chicago it seems like the muscle guys with the trendy beards and man capris have started taking over the north side.
Gross.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:09 PM

113 posts, read 133,567 times
Default Skip Dallas, Houston & Much of the South

I'm so sick of hearing about the "New South" and how these metros are changing... this may be true to some extent, but they're not changing fast enough for me to EVER want to live there. I worked for a company based in Dallas & let me tell you, they may share similarities with other "Sunbelt" cities (new residence, warm, etc.), but the dominant culture is still extremely homophobic, racist, misogynistic, backwards, etc. Think Bible thumping cowboys.

The cowboy culture is annoying. Think guns, religion, "values," anti-Hispanic, anti-gay, anti-female, etc. That recent scene at a Dallas airport where a gay guy was attacked? Do you think that would happen in Seattle or Minneapolis' international airport? Austin and Dallas are cool cities to visit, but the conservative nut jobs from rural Texas are a very vocal majority. In every area, rural folk move into the city for opportunity. Fortunately, the rural people in Minnesota or New York or Cali or Washington are not completely backwards.

The GOP is Texas' dominant political party. They promote gay conversion therapy as part of their political platform. GAY CONVERSION THERAPY. REALLY? Something with absolutely no scientific proof (besides the proof that if completely ruins humans who have to endure it). Gay marriage is still not legal in TX. It will probably eventually be legalized by the judicial branch... but there is no support at the legislative level or by the majority population in TX.

As much as I have issues with Minnesota (and other progressive areas), their majority populations support equality and don't go out of their way to make minorities lives a living hell. In Minnesota, 52.6% of state voters rejected a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage in November 2012. Minnesota's LEGISLATURE passed a marriage equality law. You NEVER WILL see that kind of support in Texas (maybe in 50 years, but why wait when you can just move?).

The reason many gays move to San Francisco, Minneapolis, Seattle, LA/New York, etc. is because these areas don't make living life a daily struggle. It's similar to the Great Migration of Africans out of the southern United States up North (away from backwardness and bigotry).

Who wants to live in a progressive bubble like Austin or Dallas? The moment you step out (into the suburbs or worse... the rural areas) you're dealing with extremely irrational and ignorant people. Not all, of course, but the majority (as seen with ass-backwards laws passed). You also have to remember that even in these "progressive bubbles" you still have these nut jobs. Yeah - you have them everywhere - but I have never heard n***** or f***** yelled at someone in San Francisco or Minneapolis. I never heard people talking about their "churches" and the "Book of Genesis" at business meetings in Seattle. I never got asked 5 million times about "what church do you go to?" in London.

So please - save us all some time, and stop pushing so hardcore for everyone to move to Dallas or wherever in the South because it's "changing" and "we need progressive people to change the culture." We all have limited time and energy, and it's so much easier living somewhere where you don't have to deal with such adversity.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:16 PM

522 posts, read 695,049 times
Which one is better for gay people: Houston or Dallas?

Old 12-24-2014, 02:22 PM

522 posts, read 695,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasTraveler View Post
I'm so sick of hearing about the "New South" and how these metros are changing... this may be true to some extent, but they're not changing fast enough for me to EVER want to live there. I worked for a company based in Dallas & let me tell you, they may share similarities with other "Sunbelt" cities (new residence, warm, etc.), but the dominant culture is still extremely homophobic, racist, misogynistic, backwards, etc. Think Bible thumping cowboys.

The cowboy culture is annoying. Think guns, religion, "values," anti-Hispanic, anti-gay, anti-female, etc. That recent scene at a Dallas airport where a gay guy was attacked? Do you think that would happen in Seattle or Minneapolis' international airport? Austin and Dallas are cool cities to visit, but the conservative nut jobs from rural Texas are a very vocal majority. In every area, rural folk move into the city for opportunity. Fortunately, the rural people in Minnesota or New York or Cali or Washington are not completely backwards.

The GOP is Texas' dominant political party. They promote gay conversion therapy as part of their political platform. GAY CONVERSION THERAPY. REALLY? Something with absolutely no scientific proof (besides the proof that if completely ruins humans who have to endure it). Gay marriage is still not legal in TX. It will probably eventually be legalized by the judicial branch... but there is no support at the legislative level or by the majority population in TX.

As much as I have issues with Minnesota (and other progressive areas), their majority populations support equality and don't go out of their way to make minorities lives a living hell. In Minnesota, 52.6% of state voters rejected a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage in November 2012. Minnesota's LEGISLATURE passed a marriage equality law. You NEVER WILL see that kind of support in Texas (maybe in 50 years, but why wait when you can just move?).

The reason many gays move to San Francisco, Minneapolis, Seattle, LA/New York, etc. is because these areas don't make living life a daily struggle. It's similar to the Great Migration of Africans out of the southern United States up North (away from backwardness and bigotry).

Who wants to live in a progressive bubble like Austin or Dallas? The moment you step out (into the suburbs or worse... the rural areas) you're dealing with extremely irrational and ignorant people. Not all, of course, but the majority (as seen with ass-backwards laws passed). You also have to remember that even in these "progressive bubbles" you still have these nut jobs. Yeah - you have them everywhere - but I have never heard n***** or f***** yelled at someone in San Francisco or Minneapolis. I never heard people talking about their "churches" and the "Book of Genesis" at business meetings in Seattle. I never got asked 5 million times about "what church do you go to?" in London.

So please - save us all some time, and stop pushing so hardcore for everyone to move to Dallas or wherever in the South because it's "changing" and "we need progressive people to change the culture." We all have limited time and energy, and it's so much easier living somewhere where you don't have to deal with such adversity.
In your opinion is Arizona like that too? Phoenix and Flagstaff being progressive "bubbles" surrounded by conservative-type areas?

Old 12-24-2014, 05:23 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasTraveler View Post

Well bless your heart.

Many of us in the South are gay and quite happy and content. I wouldn't live anywhere else.

To each his own, honey.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:01 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Just beware that the gay community in the LA metro area is extremely superficial and judgmental. You had better be ripped, tanned and beautiful if you want attention. At least that's what I've heard from gay friends of mine who tried living there. It's a vicious gay community with very high standards and expectations.
What an absolutely ridiculous assertion. Metro L.A. is massive, and it can no more be painted with this delusional brush than the NY Tri-State can.

This honestly sounds as if you have only read about L.A., but have never actually been there.

Edit: Oh, wait - you admit as much. You 'heard' from a friend, lol!

Last edited by JMatl; 12-24-2014 at 06:42 PM..

Old 12-24-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
In your opinion is Arizona like that too? Phoenix and Flagstaff being progressive "bubbles" surrounded by conservative-type areas?
I've never been there, so I can't comment (I've only driven through the very tip of AZ). From what I've heard, I'd say yes. But I'd have to live there.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Well bless your heart.

Many of us in the South are gay and quite happy and content. I wouldn't live anywhere else.

To each his own, honey.
Bless your heart, too. (Oh, high context communication style, such a prize of the South).

I'm not saying I don't value the South. I find it fascinating and fun to visit, especially for the warm climate. I just prefer not to live in a bubble. The moment you drive out of the cities (Dallas, Houston, Austin, Atlanta) you're in a completely different World... it's like some 3rd World satire of the worst of American culture.

I should mention... the "bubbles" (once again, I WOULD NOT say these cities are anywhere near San Fran, Seattle, Minneapolis, etc.... but in general are much more ~tolerating, notice I don't say accepting) include Atlanta (pockets downtown), Dallas (city limits), Houston (city limits), Austin, San Antonio (city limits), Nashville (city limits), Savannah (city), Asheville (city), Chapel Hill (college).

I don't count New Orleans and Miami/S. Florida as truly "southern" - more tropical.. both are great places; both very different than the surrounding area... party cities w/ socially liberal attitudes similar to Brazil, etc. (but not "progressive").

....forget Oklahoma City (most of Oklahoma, in fact), any city in Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi (oh my...), as they make Dallas, Houston & Atlanta look like liberal bastions. If you want to see African Americans living in 3rd world conditions (think no bathrooms...) go to the delta areas of Mississippi/Alabama... you'll never see ANYTHING like that in the "ghetto" areas of Chicago, Gary, Detroit.

Now in 20 or so years I can definitely see many areas in the South being much more hospitable places to live, as they have many new residence moving there. But who knows. There are places to LIVE and there are places to VISIT... one second of that "I"m a proud southerner; the ground is red from Yankee blood; God, gays, guns, and oil, blah, blah, blah, hallelujah, bless your heart, lets go to church every day, NASCAR, etc." and I guarantee you'll be driving quickly back to San Fran/Seattle/NYC/DC/Minneapolis/Boston/Portland/Madison
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.