Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 07:38 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times

Advertisements

As much as people like to bash on FL, there are plenty of worse places to live.
I've been able to make a very nice and comfortable life for myself in FL.
Good job, nice home, nice neighbors, good schools, have a nice boat, I couldn't really ask for more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 08:18 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
I honestly do not understand the appeal of Florida. This is just me personally, but the big minuses.

1. Horrible weather except during the winter. When I was a kid, I liked the heat, but once I turned 20 or so something changed in terms of my body chemistry, and I started sweating profusely any time the temperature rose above 80 or so. I'm not talking like some pit sweat, I'm talking about profuse sweat first dripping down my scalp, and then eventually soaking my entire shirt. It feels as disgusting as it looks, and thus I find heat much, much more unpleasant than being cold, since you warm up very quickly upon getting indoors, but it can take half the day to wait for your clothing to dry out if you get sweaty.

2. Nearly everything in Florida is bland, characterless suburbia. Saint Augustine and Key West are the only two places I really felt like they had any real sense of place. And while they are walkable, they are more quaint and touristy than urban. If Florida had one real "classic" Southern city like New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, or even something like Richmond I'd find it more compelling.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:19 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Florida Passes New York to Become Nation's Third Most Populous State

It's official. Florida now has 19.9 million people living there, while New York has 19.7 million. This makes Florida the 3rd most populous state in the nation, after California and Texas. The main reason is because of numerous baby boomer retirees moving from NY to FL. The article even states that about 800 people move to Florida each DAY!

Personally, I would rather live in New York (other than the NYC metro area) for its far superior beauty, four seasons, educated populace and lack of sprawl, traffic and tourists galore.
Well young man, wait until you are about 60 and your bones start aching when the temperature goes below 40 and you start wanting more peace and quiet than all the noise of the city.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:03 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Well young man, wait until you are about 60 and your bones start aching when the temperature goes below 40 and you start wanting more peace and quiet than all the noise of the city.
That's stupid. My grandparents are 80 years old and live here in CT and experience no problems with the cold. They stay indoors most of the time anyway.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:59 AM

734 posts, read 920,814 times
I must be the only Florida resident who thinks this is a bad thing. I don't want more people down here. Hardly a badge of honor. We already have enough miserly NY transplants. Go back home.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:43 AM

623 posts, read 965,996 times
agree

Old 12-25-2014, 07:46 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
I must be the only Florida resident who thinks this is a bad thing. I don't want more people down here. Hardly a badge of honor. We already have enough miserly NY transplants. Go back home.
I agree. I'd actually like to see the population go down, and some of Florida's forested areas restored. It's a shame all of the environmental destruction that has taken place lately, especially in the central part of the state.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:35 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I honestly do not understand the appeal of Florida. This is just me personally, but the big minuses.

1. Horrible weather except during the winter. When I was a kid, I liked the heat, but once I turned 20 or so something changed in terms of my body chemistry, and I started sweating profusely any time the temperature rose above 80 or so. I'm not talking like some pit sweat, I'm talking about profuse sweat first dripping down my scalp, and then eventually soaking my entire shirt. It feels as disgusting as it looks, and thus I find heat much, much more unpleasant than being cold, since you warm up very quickly upon getting indoors, but it can take half the day to wait for your clothing to dry out if you get sweaty.

2. Nearly everything in Florida is bland, characterless suburbia. Saint Augustine and Key West are the only two places I really felt like they had any real sense of place. And while they are walkable, they are more quaint and touristy than urban. If Florida had one real "classic" Southern city like New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, or even something like Richmond I'd find it more compelling.
I lived in the Ft. Myers area. Soulless sprawl for as far as the eye could see. The only real natural beauty was right near the coast, and those places seemed to be pretty few and far between, and growing fewer by the day with the pace of construction of more sprawl. There didn't appear to be any thought put into any of the development.

Oh, and the bugs were awful. The ants were EVERYWHERE.

Yeah, I don't get the appeal either. I have family there and they think it's paradise, but I couldn't wait to leave.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:26 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I agree. I'd actually like to see the population go down, and some of Florida's forested areas restored. It's a shame all of the environmental destruction that has taken place lately, especially in the central part of the state.

It is only going to get worse. You can't have this kind of population growth without major problems and environmental destruction. But all that seems to matter is population growth. I much prefer stable growth or even gradual decline to restore forested areas here as well.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:00 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,366 times
I love how white people matter more than other people, according to some people in this thread. I've probably paid more in taxes than most people who complain about **** like that. I guess my money is still good, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.