Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many of you have a basement?
Yes 54 68.35%
No 25 31.65%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 12:14 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Here you go:

Why no basements in California? - Fine Homebuilding Question & Answer

Board Question #53883 | The 100 Hour Board

As you can see, the weather in the Western states don't make basements necessary, though I'm sure it varies. There are other factors as to why we don't have basements.

If you noticed, there were other posters in the thread from Nevada and Arizona (both Western states) who stated there were no basements there. We need to hear from people from the other Western states to see if my assumption is correct.
The weather in the Northeast doesn't make basements "necessary" either, it just makes sense to build them. "Weather in the Western states don't make basements necessary" is an odd way to word it but after reading your links I see what you are trying to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 12:51 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:
Here you go:

Why no basements in California? - Fine Homebuilding Question & Answer

Board Question #53883 | The 100 Hour Board

As you can see, the weather in the Western states don't make basements necessary, though I'm sure it varies. There are other factors as to why we don't have basements.

If you noticed, there were other posters in the thread from Nevada and Arizona (both Western states) who stated there were no basements there. We need to hear from people from the other Western states to see if my assumption is correct.
Basements aren't at all "necessary" here, as plenty of places have slabs or crawlspaces and no basements. In fact, basements are never "necessary."

However, they are a huge expected bonus for those living in areas where basements are common. Who wouldn't want an additional 1,500 square feet of floor space? The entire country would see this as a bonus. However, in some parts of the country, they are uncommon or don't exist at all.

Originally, the OP was trying to find out where these were common or uncommon, and surprisingly (that's sarcasm) people in areas where they are uncommon are trying to spin not having a basement as a positive, when it clearly is not.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:56 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Basements aren't at all "necessary" here, as plenty of places have slabs or crawlspaces and no basements. In fact, basements are never "necessary."

However, they are a huge expected bonus for those living in areas where basements are common. Who wouldn't want an additional 1,500 square feet of floor space? The entire country would see this as a bonus. However, in some parts of the country, they are uncommon or don't exist at all.

Originally, the OP was trying to find out where these were common or uncommon, and surprisingly (that's sarcasm) people in areas where they are uncommon are trying to spin not having a basement as a positive, when it clearly is not.
I hope you're not referring to me? I have yet to see people here stating not having a basement is a positive. That is ridiculous. Maybe you can point me to these posts.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:38 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
I think most houses in Colorado have them

Old 01-03-2015, 08:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:

A basement would NOT be a positive here - in fact, they're considered a negative when it comes to resale. We have a different sort of housing here that better fits our soil type.

Do you have a three car garage? Do most people up where you live have a three car garage? I don't see why EVERYONE doesn't have one - clearly they're an advantage! Who wouldn't have one? What about a big, walk in attic - why doesn't everyone have one of those? They're clearly an advantage! What about a butler's pantry? Those are CLEARLY an advantage - why doesn't everyone have one? Why do some people have stairs in their house? Clearly having all rooms on one level is an advantage - why doesn't everyone have a single level house?

Of course I'm being facetious. I wish everyone on this thread was!

Old 01-03-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I hope you're not referring to me? I have yet to see people here stating not having a basement is a positive. That is ridiculous. Maybe you can point me to these posts.
\\

Not having a basement in an area where they cause problems is definitely an advantage.

Different areas have different norms and people expect different things in houses. For instance, some homes have heated flooring. Advantage, right? Well, not in the Gulf states.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
A basement would NOT be a positive here - in fact, they're considered a negative when it comes to resale. We have a different sort of housing here that better fits our soil type.

Do you have a three car garage? Do most people up where you live have a three car garage? I don't see why EVERYONE doesn't have one - clearly they're an advantage! Who wouldn't have one? What about a big, walk in attic - why doesn't everyone have one of those? They're clearly an advantage! What about a butler's pantry? Those are CLEARLY an advantage - why doesn't everyone have one? Why do some people have stairs in their house? Clearly having all rooms on one level is an advantage - why doesn't everyone have a single level house?

Of course I'm being facetious. I wish everyone on this thread was!
The difference is when everyone has a basement, it's part of the base-line pricing. You pay more for a 3-car garage (yes, people have 3 car garages here) than a 1-car garage or a 2-car garage; you don't pay any more for a basement, because it's expected that there will be one.

Also, to continue on your poor line of reasoning, an additional slot in a garage is what, 120 square feet? This, versus an average basement of around 1,400 feet, making your additional slot of non-residential space outside the home on an oil-stained concrete slab a paltry addition, proportionately.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
The difference is when everyone has a basement, it's part of the base-line pricing. You pay more for a 3-car garage (yes, people have 3 car garages here) than a 1-car garage or a 2-car garage; you don't pay any more for a basement, because it's expected that there will be one.

Also, to continue on your poor line of reasoning, an additional slot in a garage is what, 120 square feet? This, versus an average basement of around 1,400 feet, making your additional slot of non-residential space outside the home on an oil-stained concrete slab a paltry addition, proportionately.
If everyone in a neighborhood has a three car garage, but your house doesn't - then your house is devalued by the absence of a three car garage. So in effect, you're paying for a three car garage. That's my point.

Same with basements - if a basement is an expected feature, and a home doesn't have a basement, the home will generally be less expensive. That means that yes, you ARE paying for basements. Also, please don't even try to tell me that an unfinished basement is worth the same as a finished out basement.

Here's the litmus test - if you have two identical homes, but one has a basement and one doesn't - then the one WITH the basement (in your area) will probably be more expensive. (In this area, it would probably be less expensive, since basements aren't generally considered an asset around here.) If, in your area, you have two identical homes, but one has an unfinished basement and one has a finished basement, the one that's finished out will be the more valuable. So, yes, you ARE paying for your basements - and that's OK.

So - speaking of a "poor line of reasoning," well, you totally missed my original point but hopefully I've been able to clarify it for you.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:05 AM

325 posts, read 486,578 times
I am a proud owner of a basement.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
If everyone in a neighborhood has a three car garage, but your house doesn't - then your house is devalued by the absence of a three car garage. So in effect, you're paying for a three car garage. That's my point.

Same with basements - if a basement is an expected feature, and a home doesn't have a basement, the home will generally be less expensive. That means that yes, you ARE paying for basements. Also, please don't even try to tell me that an unfinished basement is worth the same as a finished out basement.

Here's the litmus test - if you have two identical homes, but one has a basement and one doesn't - then the one WITH the basement (in your area) will probably be more expensive. (In this area, it would probably be less expensive, since basements aren't generally considered an asset around here.) If, in your area, you have two identical homes, but one has an unfinished basement and one has a finished basement, the one that's finished out will be the more valuable. So, yes, you ARE paying for your basements - and that's OK.

So - speaking of a "poor line of reasoning," well, you totally missed my original point but hopefully I've been able to clarify it for you.
You win. An additional 1,400 square feet for no extra money is, in reality, far worse than not having that free extra space. Yay Texas!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.