Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated southwestern city?
Las Vegas, NV 56 26.79%
Albuquerque, NM 6 2.87%
Sedona, AZ 8 3.83%
Santa Fe, NM 13 6.22%
Salt Lake City, UT 12 5.74%
Taos, NM 11 5.26%
Phoenix, AZ 90 43.06%
Las Cruces, NM 2 0.96%
Flagstaff, AZ 6 2.87%
Other, please list 5 2.39%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:05 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,109,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I voted "other" because I think Chicago is the most over-rated Southwestern city! With the "endless" Phoenix sprawl, we just decided to "annex" Chicago as it seems the southwest has more former Chicago residents than Chicago currently has residents...
Chicago's population isnt far off from the population of the entire state of AZ. Throw in our metro population and we've practically doubled AZ's entire population, then add the other 3 million people outside of Chicagoland and thats getting close to being triple AZ's population.

You can have all of our winter wussies and golf-pant-wearing retirees.... we dont need em or want em! We're too crowded here as it is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 12:02 AM

3,995 posts, read 9,979,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Chicago's population isnt far off from the population of the entire state of AZ. Throw in our metro population and we've practically doubled AZ's entire population, then add the other 3 million people outside of Chicagoland and thats getting close to being triple AZ's population.

You can have all of our winter wussies and golf-pant-wearing retirees.... we dont need em or want em! We're too crowded here as it is!
LOL, what you been smoking. The entire Illinois population is 12.9 million and Arizona's is 7 million (Chicago's population is 2.9 million so it IS far off from the population of the entire state of Arizona). Chicagoland's population triple Arizona's population, LOL!

This is why Chicago residents are leaving; they desire to be around those capable of math and the employment prospects (Phoenix' unemployment 7.8%, Chicago's 11.3%; Arizona's 8.6%, Illinois 10.9%) with new "green" energy corporations (solar research, engineering, manufacturing) from around the world headquartering in Phoenix, medical research centers (opening, expanding, relocating), and university research grants and endowments (ASU, UofA, Grand Canyon U, etc)! Send us your engineers, scientists, doctors, and huddled researchers...

Last edited by fcorrales80; 01-14-2010 at 01:10 AM..

Old 01-14-2010, 02:32 AM

23,068 posts, read 28,783,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'm tiring of Sunbelt residents sticking their tongues out at we Rust Belters and going "Nah nah nah nah nah, nah!" They laugh at us because we shovel snow but the joke will be on them in another decade or two if current growth rates continue and we Northerners RIGHTFULLY prevent them from tapping into our water supply. What good will Phoenix be when there's no potable water?
Let's never forget, water runs uphill to money.

What makes you think you're not immune to a severe, long-lasting drought in the Rust Belt?

We'll always have water here due to proximity to the ocean.

They're already at the design stage. Desalination plants long the California or Baja California coast, and pipe it up to the thirsty areas. Yes, expensive, but the fact remains: We'll always have water here! Always!

When that once every 100 year drought comes to the Rust Belt, get on your knees and beg, and maybe, we'll share some of our water with you.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:47 AM

23,068 posts, read 28,783,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I don't believe any of those citys are well rated at all so they can't be overrated. I certainly don't know anyone who has nice things to say about Phoenix or Las Vegas.
I live in Las Vegas and I don't say nice things about Las Vegas.

Did you ever stop to think that those not saying nice things about Phoenix or Las Vegas live there, love it there, don't want to see one more person moving to their cities or one more car on their roads?

I just love all the negative comments about my city, the more the better.

Would never, ever live anywhere else.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:34 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,864,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
But its much drier in appearance, with more red rocks, etc. The Flagstaff area is kinda, sorta lush, but head back East or West on I-40 and its definitely more southwestern looking than Northern New Mexico, especially up by Page, etc. Northern New Mexico is nothing different than what you find in most of Colorado, hence the reason it doesnt feel southwestern at all to me.
you don't know AZ very well. most of the pine forest extends east from Flag and is far from interstates and large towns. probably as much if not more forest than NM. and either way it just goes to show pine trees and snow are as much a part of the SW as desert.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:35 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,922,186 times
To fcorrales, why would you base Chicago's population figures on just the city alone? Everyone goes by metro numbers at this point and Chi-town's metro is nearly 9.8 million which puts it 2 million over Arizona's 7 mil. (Chicago being 3rd largest in the nation)

Anyway, back to the subject at hand... I'll say Phoenix is, by far, the most over-rated southwestern city.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:06 PM

3,995 posts, read 9,979,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
To fcorrales, why would you base Chicago's population figures on just the city alone? Everyone goes by metro numbers at this point and Chi-town's metro is nearly 9.8 million which puts it 2 million over Arizona's 7 mil. (Chicago being 3rd largest in the nation)

Anyway, back to the subject at hand... I'll say Phoenix is, by far, the most over-rated southwestern city.
Steve-o compared THE CITY of Chicago to Arizona's population and said it was close...he then compared "Chicagoland" to the state population; why don't you read the post in which I commented on.

I'm just interesting in knowing; why is Phoenix the "most over-rated southwestern city." This should be funny.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
LOL, what you been smoking. The entire Illinois population is 12.9 million and Arizona's is 7 million (Chicago's population is 2.9 million so it IS far off from the population of the entire state of Arizona). Chicagoland's population triple Arizona's population, LOL!

This is why Chicago residents are leaving; they desire to be around those capable of math and the employment prospects (Phoenix' unemployment 7.8%, Chicago's 11.3%; Arizona's 8.6%, Illinois 10.9%) with new "green" energy corporations (solar research, engineering, manufacturing) from around the world headquartering in Phoenix, medical research centers (opening, expanding, relocating), and university research grants and endowments (ASU, UofA, Grand Canyon U, etc)! Send us your engineers, scientists, doctors, and huddled researchers...
They go to AZ to get your Dollar General-priced homes, which areas of AZ lost 50% of their home values. AZ is 2nd in the nation in foreclosures according to what I saw on CNNMoney.com yesterday morning. That will look super attractive to all those looking to retire in AZ. Hundreds of homes all lined up in a row for 1/2 the price they were 5 years ago? Look out, the Buick-drivin fogies are comin!!!

And if Chicagoans are leaving AZ to "be around those capable of math", then I can tell them that theyre heading in the wrong direction!!! According to studies and AZ's 50th place ranking (that would be dead last to you graduates of AZ schools) for public schools, then I say let the blind lead the blind!

And Im glad AZ is growing. Its about time you guys caught up with what the rest of the states experienced a 100 years ago. Feels good, doesnt it? Well, it will feel good for awhile until your crime skyrockets, home values skyrocket out of control (how much did you pay for that pseudo-adobe piece of crap!?!?!?!), pollution gets worse, natural resources are strained, etc. I wouldnt be too boastful with how fast AZ is growing... its not a good thing. Theyll have to open up another spiffy Tent City to keep up with all the criminals. And seeing that most of the transplants are coming from LA, you better say your prayers. Wont be long until MS13 is terrorizing PHX.

And regarding the whole green thing... AZ isnt any different than most states nowadays. EVERYONE is going green it seems. I guess AZ really wants to go green badly, thats the only "green" youll have in that dustbowl. j/k

Old 01-14-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
you don't know AZ very well. most of the pine forest extends east from Flag and is far from interstates and large towns. probably as much if not more forest than NM. and either way it just goes to show pine trees and snow are as much a part of the SW as desert.
Im well aware of that, thank you. Ive spent time up at the GC, Mogollon Rim, etc, I know how far the pine forest reaches. But most of the SW is barren, treeless, wide open, hence its gigantic swaths of scrub-steppe designation.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:47 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,922,186 times
Quote:
Steve-o compared THE CITY of Chicago to Arizona's population and said it was close...he then compared "Chicagoland" to the state population; why don't you read the post in which I commented on.

I'm just interesting in knowing; why is Phoenix the "most over-rated southwestern city." This should be funny.
Wow, can you check that attitude at the door please?

Simple mistake, though I did read his post. Geez.

As far as Phoenix is concerned, I believe it is over rated because most of the metro is strip malls and not a lot of high density areas. Everyone talks about Phoenix and how it's growing and has so many people, but is that growth quality growth? I could say the same for Atlanta and even Las Vegas, but my vote was for Phoenix.

..and before you go assuming that I've never been to Phoenix, I do happen to have friends that live in Peoria and yes I've been. I may not have a local's knowledge, but I know people that do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.