Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2014, 12:20 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You don't explain why it's flawed, but fine, let's ignore where the rich choose to live, and let's take your advice and use the entire U.S. population.

Where are the poorest areas and cheapest prices in the U.S.? The Southeast. Where are the richest areas and highest prices in the U.S.? Everywhere else.

No matter how you slice it, the South is the poorest, least desirable part of the country. This isn't debatable.
Everywhere in the country is richer that the south. LMAO!!!! do you get out much???

What a dumb comment. Go get some education. Your hate for the south has warped your mind. Educated people see things differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 12:23 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
What a dumb comment. Go get some education. Your hate for the south has warped your mind. Educated people see things differently.
So using actual verified data from the Census is "dumb" according to Scotty011.

Please, oh wise one, since you are apparently much more "educated" than the hundreds of PhD statisticians at the Census Bureau, please show us a source that indicates that the Census is fabricating numbers. Not all of us are as smart as you. I only have two Ivy League degrees, and work with numbers for a living, but I'm sure you have much to teach us!

Old 12-28-2014, 12:25 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I'm not saying it's horrible, I'm just sharing the experiences of everyone I know who has chosen to move South - usually NC, but sometimes SC, Florida, VA outside DC area, and Texas. Number one reason was always cost. The South is notorious around here for being so cheap. Everyone knows you can get a large, usually new home, in a development often, for super cheap compared to what we're used to - list price and taxes. Many people know at least one family/person who have decided to make the move for that reason. Sometimes people don't even care about weather.

They can get houses even cheaper in states like Ohio and Indiana, so why aren't they going there?

Old 12-28-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
So using actual verified data from the Census is "dumb" according to Scotty011.

Please, oh wise one, since you are apparently much more "educated" than the hundreds of PhD statisticians at the Census Bureau, please show us a source that indicates that the Census is fabricating numbers. Not all of us are as smart as you. I only have two Ivy League degrees, and work with numbers for a living, but I'm sure you have much to teach us!

You have too much to learn oh unwise one. it would take eons to educate you. Yeah right, a person with an education would not be spouting the hate and ignorance you are displaying.

I gots me 2 ivy league degree, i's smart. LOL

Old 12-28-2014, 12:32 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
You don't explain why it's flawed, but fine, let's ignore where the rich choose to live, and let's take your advice and use the entire U.S. population.

Where are the poorest areas and cheapest prices in the U.S.? The Southeast. Where are the richest areas and highest prices in the U.S.? Everywhere else.

No matter how you slice it, the South is the poorest, least desirable part of the country. This isn't debatable.
That isn't true. I've seen real estate in the Midwest that is dirt cheap compared to my area of Alabama.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
That isn't true. I've seen real estate in the Midwest that is dirt cheap compared to my area of Alabama.

That guy has so much to learn about this country it is pitiful. He just hates the south so much he can't see the forest for the trees.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:41 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Growth rates typically slow as the baseline population increases. So, to use growth rates as some sort of validation that sunbelt states have their best days behind them is foolish.
It's also foolish to use region-wide or even statewide statistics about economic mobility, poverty rates, etc. as a similar presumed validation.
The reality is that sunbelt state growth is VERY targeted to key metropolitan areas and, as driven by our nation's politics, is the manifestation of our economic policies. The gap between the haves and have-nots is widening. Certain metropolitan areas in the sunbelt are growing economically while the non-metropolitan areas are suffering. Even in fast growing places like Florida, Georgia and North Carolina, most of the growth is centered around key metros (Miami/Tampa Bay/Orlando/Atlanta/Charlotte/Raleigh) while many counties in those states continue to lose population. Because the South (in particular) has had a much more rural populace in many decades past, this dynamic is playing out to a greater extent than it is in Rustbelt states where population is more urban and growth is much slower.
The areas that are growing are not the culturally deprived, economically depressed wastelands that many on this forum hope them to be and it's foolish to keep ones blinders on to their ascendence.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 12-28-2014 at 12:51 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
You have too much to learn oh unwise one. it would take eons to educate you. Yeah right, a person with an education would not be spouting the hate and ignorance you are displaying.

I gots me 2 ivy league degree, i's smart. LOL
I get that an MBA from Columbia is nothing compared to your backwoods coon-skinning smarts, but, again, please point us to a source that indicates the Census data on wealth is false. Put up or shut up.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
And I hope you don't have an occupation that requires logical reasoning.

"My home in Alabama is more expensive than a home I saw in in Ohio, therefore the South overall is more expensive than the North".

Old 12-28-2014, 12:46 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
They can get houses even cheaper in states like Ohio and Indiana, so why aren't they going there?
Probably due to weather and perception of those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.