Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 05:49 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You're right, but the narrative on this thread is about working class folks supposedly having a better shot at the American dream in the Sunbelt. The Census data indicates otherwise. And obviously, individual results vary. There are people that would be successful anywhere and others who will never find success. It's more personal than locational.

But I am still befuddled over the mania over "cheap homes". I am always hearing "Gee, I can move to Little Rock and get a 3,000 square foot house; ya wanna know what that would cost in Connecticut or Southern CA?". I really don't get this line of reasoning.

Little Rock (not to pick on a city, but just giving an example) is cheap because it isn't in high demand, and the housing doesn't generate a good rate of return. Obviously housing will cost more in Newport Beach, CA or Greenwich, CT. People want to live in these places; they have amenities that are world-class, and real estate is a fantastic investment.

I mean, if you really wanna go cheap, and care about nothing else, move to Honduras, or Afghanistan, or Darfur. Compared even to rural Mississippi, you'll really be getting some dirt-cheap real estate. If safety is an issue, what about rural Moldova or something? Maybe Namibia, which is quiet and safe in the old German colonies. Much safer than the U.S. I mean, who cares, as long as real estate is cheap!
Exactly. You may get that cheap house, coming from metro New York, but get there and be like... now what? Life is different. Amenities are different (fewer) than what I am used to. People are different, politics are on a whole different... I miss home. I know many who have moved South and had the dilemma of "... well now what?" after moving primarily because it's cheaper there. Well yeah it's cheaper for a reason...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 05:59 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Exactly. You may get that cheap house, coming from metro New York, but get there and be like... now what? Life is different. Amenities are different (fewer) than what I am used to. People are different, politics are on a whole different... I miss home. I know many who have moved South and had the dilemma of "... well now what?" after moving primarily because it's cheaper there. Well yeah it's cheaper for a reason...

And I know many who have moved to the Southeast and you could not pay them to go back. So what is your point. I know one person that moved to Charleston, SC and after living here for awhile went back to New York and moved his parents and three Aunts and a uncle there. All love it. He said went he crossed the bridge leaving NYC he said his goodbyes and he would not be back. Oh well.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:05 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
And I know many who have moved to the Southeast and you could not pay them to go back. So what is your point. I know one person that moved to Charleston, SC and after living here for awhile went back to New York and moved his parents and three Aunts and a uncle there. All love it. He said went he crossed the bridge leaving NYC he said his goodbyes and he would not be back. Oh well.
Probably because they don't care about big city amenities, or all the cosmopolitan-type stuff.

If you just want a cheap house and don't care anything about location, then there is no reason to live somewhere like NYC or CA. I would just find the cheapest place possible, I guess (but I would probably rent rather than buy, as the cheap parts of the Sunbelt tend to be the worst real estate investments in the country).

I can't imagine living like that. If it makes no difference to you if you're in Beverly Hills or the surface of the Moon, then yeah, just find the cheapest place possible. Do these people never leave their house, though? They don't "get" why rural Kentucky is cheaper than Long Island or wherever? I don't get it.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
My point is I was agreeing with NOLA regarding why houses in certain regions are so cheap and why it can actually be misleading.

It's great that you know people who moved South and would never go back but cheaper isn't always better; I know it wouldn't be for me. I would miss life and opportunities around here way too much. It's partially why where I live is so expensive and I wouldn't change it.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:14 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times
I would love for more people to move out of California.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:16 PM

3,507 posts, read 764,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I would love for more people to move out of California.
fine ..as long as the move to jersey .

Old 12-26-2014, 06:21 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,191 times
We tried to move to the south. My hubby was born in raised in NC. After the three years we were required to be there (NWF) I'd had enough. Hurricanes, Flora and Fauna, snakes, bears, oh my. No thanks, I'm definitely a west coast girl. Hubby was more eager to get back to the west coast than I was. I hope people have a Plan B.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
fine ..as long as the move to jersey .
?

Old 12-26-2014, 07:00 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
People have been voting with their feet since the end of WWII, and the trend isn't going away.

The population of the Census designated South is around 120,00,000 now, by far the most populated region of the country.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:05 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post

The population of the Census designated South is around 120,00,000 now, by far the most populated region of the country.
It's actually generally the least populated region, not the most populated.

The Census designation for "South" is massive and like 20-30 times the size of the Northeast, and even includes the southern half of the Northeast corridor, South Florida, West Texas and other areas no one considers "South".

The actual South didn't start growing rapidly in population until the 1960's, and has never really caught up in terms of economy. It's still the poorest, least educated, most violent, least healthy part of the country.

The South is, without question, the least desirable part of the U.S., not the most desirable. The most desirable parts of the U.S. are the Northeast Corridor and Coastal California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.