Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 07:48 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
Quite a lot of them in NYC, Boston and NJ
And a lot of them are stuck in the urban ghettos. Their southern/western counterparts are most likely making a lot more money. The Koreans in Northern Atlanta are making really good money and live in the nice well-off educated suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 07:54 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
At least minorities have a chance in the southern metros. Blacks aren't really doing well in any NE or Western cities like they are in D.C., Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas. Latinos aren't either except in the Southwest areas and maybe the West Coast. Asians are really only concentrated in the West Coast or Texas anyway.
Not necessarily true.....Ironically, Buffalo and Detroit in terms of per capita income gaps between Blacks and Whites, are in the same range as DC and Atlanta. You can view that here: Study finds broad income inequality - Buffalo Business First

Like others have been saying about mobility, you can find middle class Black areas in the Northeast and Midwest. Look up SE Queens or neighborhoods in northern Detroit like Palmer Woods, the University District and Sherwood Forest for a couple of examples. You can find Hispanics and Asians that are middle class and up in those regions as well.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:54 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You could call it warm weather or you could call it stifling feel like you can't breathe sticky muggy buggy summer humidity.

I'm fine where I am. A little snow doesn't bother me.

You can achieve the American dream anywhere if you try, know what you're doing, and have a little help and support along the way.
Amen, and consider yourself repped. My wand needs recharging.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:58 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
And a lot of them are stuck in the urban ghettos. Their southern/western counterparts are most likely making a lot more money. The Koreans in Northern Atlanta are making really good money and live in the nice well-off educated suburbs.
You must really be out of touch, if you think Asians in those areas are just stuck in ghettos in those areas or regions and that there aren't any stuck in ghettos/rough neighborhoods out West or in the South. Many times, some of the most affluent suburbs/communities in those areas/regions have high Asian populations/percentages.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:01 PM

657 posts, read 801,812 times
Quote:
No. Asian Americans do very well in the northeast, especially Indians and Chinese.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:42 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The South Jersey counties that border Philly are pretty expensive and they also represent the bulk of South Jersey's overall population.
I know towns like Collingswood are, but others like Woodbury and Deptford appear to be more affordable.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:57 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I know towns like Collingswood are, but others like Woodbury and Deptford appear to be more affordable.
All I'm saying is that South Jersey as a whole isn't dirt cheap.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:23 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The new economic reality is not great for Gen Y. Most of us, even with college degrees, make as much or even less than our parents did decades ago, but most things cost more due to inflation. If you're making $13 an hour would you rather be in NYC and have 3 roommates or a mid sized metro in the South or Midwest and be able to buy a 3 br house?

The rural South is still bad off and those areas get almost no in migration. The areas attracting non Southerners are the metro areas. The affluent parts of most metros in the South have a quality of life (income, schools, health care) that is typical of the North.
Well to be fair, people aren't exactly flocking to the rural and/or depressed areas of the Midwest and Northeast either. There are plenty of stagnant areas with little migration scattered throughout the northern states too.

Just like in the South, the more affluent areas offer better quality of life as well. But the rural areas of the South tend to be worse off overall.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:42 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

But I am still befuddled over the mania over "cheap homes". I am always hearing "Gee, I can move to Little Rock and get a 3,000 square foot house; ya wanna know what that would cost in Connecticut or Southern CA?". I really don't get this line of reasoning.

!
Homes values are like a see saw with good / bad on either extreme. If you're wealthy and can afford a huge down payment you want your home to be worth a ton so you can make money reselling it. But what if you're low income and can't save enough for a large down payment and in the long run can't afford higher property taxes? But you still don't want to through money away paying rent every year? Cheap houses appeal most to first time low / middle income home buyers and in the new economy this is a larger chunk than ever

Also remember that a cheap house in a decent / mid sized metro area is different than a cheap house in a remote small town with no good jobs within an hour drive. In the later case I'd agree it's foolish to move just for the cheap house. But in some nice metros you can still buy cheap and have good amenities nearby.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The South is, without question, the least desirable part of the U.S., not the most desirable. The most desirable parts of the U.S. are the Northeast Corridor and Coastal California.

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

People do NOT move to the South simply because housing is less expensive. That is an incredibly simplistic way of looking at it. People move here for MANY reasons that include, but are not limited to:

Jobs
Lower cost of living overall
Lower taxes
Friendly people
Better winters
Lots of outdoor activities/recreation
Southern ambiance (slower pace of life, traditional values, rich cultural history, friendly people, great food, etc)

The South isn't a fit for everyone - but neither is any other region. And that's OK - we have lots of regions to choose from. If you don't appreciate what the South offers, please live elsewhere. We're fine with that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.