Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 06:57 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I know I never said anything about being "bothered" by trailer parks, even though if you were to ask me what my opinion of them is, I'd tell you I'm not particularly fond of them. I only brought it up to illustrate a point, which is that Mesa really isn't a dense or urban city. Call me crazy, but I don't equate RV parks with urbanity.
All good my friend, all good.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:22 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Waco or Beaumont. Beaumont might be deserving of that title but Waco isn't so bad.
I dunno. They both deserve it, IMO. Waco smells better than Beaumont though.

Texas is so vast, that different parts of the state have different "punching bags". Beaumont is generally reviled by the entire Eastern half of the state. Especially by Houstonians. Waco is more of a central and North Texas thing. In South TX they seem to hate Brownsville the most (with Laredo coming in at a close 2nd), and in West Texas it's Odessa.

Not sure about the panhandle. Amarillo, maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 07:46 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
I would say Bridgeport has the worst reputation in CT. It just has a more negative ring to it than Hartford. At least Hartford has much more high paying jobs and even a few nightlife spots. Bridgeport has very few high paying jobs and I don't even know of any nightlife existing there at all. Hartford is also the capital city and the skyline looks much more attractive.

Bridgeport was even made fun of on the show Family Guy.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:21 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I would say Bridgeport has the worst reputation in CT. It just has a more negative ring to it than Hartford. At least Hartford has much more high paying jobs and even a few nightlife spots. Bridgeport has very few high paying jobs and I don't even know of any nightlife existing there at all. Hartford is also the capital city and the skyline looks much more attractive.

Bridgeport was even made fun of on the show Family Guy.

Bridgeport is bedroom community for people who can't afford to live in Norwalk/Stamford/NYC and struggling low income families. There barley any jobs and it boring, ghetto, failing school system etc.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:31 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I know I never said anything about being "bothered" by trailer parks, even though if you were to ask me what my opinion of them is, I'd tell you I'm not particularly fond of them.
I was surprised to learn not-so-early-on that trailer parks didn't carry much of a stigma throughout most of the country...whereas in Wisconsin, it carries a large one. Trailer parks = ghettos here, at least in perception (and, in my experiences, in reality as well). Someone posted states ranked by % of trailer parks or something like that some time back on C-D, and WI/MN were at or near the bottom, likely due to this stigma.

Wisconsin is a tough call. Milwaukee ghetto is where most of the rural folks go to. For individual cities & towns, Superior, Racine and Beloit come to mind. For me & my friends in NE WI for years it was 1) Fondy and 2) Manty (Fond du Lac and Manitowoc), two decaying blue collar towns that contributed 1) skinheads, a rarity in the WI punk/music scene and 2) weird and shady violent criminals (everyone seemed to end up in jail).

Old 12-30-2014, 04:01 PM

434 posts, read 1,164,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
Toledo and Youngstown
Perhaps Dayton, too.....and Lorain

Old 12-30-2014, 11:13 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Fayetteville and Durham....but mostly Fayetteville.
Scratch Durham and replace with Rocky Mount.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:48 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Scratch Durham and replace with Rocky Mount.
I don't even consider Rocky Mount big enough of a "city" to qualify. But if we were going down that road you would have to include Kinston right up there with Rocky Mount.

For the record I also think Durham's reputation is very unfair as it's actually a very vibrant city with an educated population that has come a long way in the last 10 years.

I'm afraid I can't say the same thing for Fayetteville, Rocky Mount, or Kinston

Old 12-31-2014, 07:51 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd33 View Post
South Georgia, excluding the coastal region.
Particularly Albany.
Macon takes a lot of heat, too.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:41 AM

448 posts, read 812,579 times
Quote:
Texas is so vast, that different parts of the state have different "punching bags". Beaumont is generally reviled by the entire Eastern half of the state. Especially by Houstonians. Waco is more of a central and North Texas thing. In South TX they seem to hate Brownsville the most (with Laredo coming in at a close 2nd), and in West Texas it's Odessa.

Not sure about the panhandle. Amarillo, maybe?
I'd agree about most of that. In San Antonio, I've never heard people mention Beaumont - I barely know where it is. Punching bag material is usually left for the (Rio Grande) Valley or Corpus Christi. I honestly don't know why people 'hate' Waco. I've never stayed there or anything, but driving through it hundreds of times, stopping and eating, etc. it has never struck me as being any different than any other town on the 35 corridor.

My most reviled location in the state so far is Dumas, in the panhandle. Godawful place - way worse than Amarillo. It's also not very large though so I'm not sure how big you have to be to earn status as someone else's punching bag...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.