Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 06:14 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,956,053 times

Advertisements

Over the past 10-20 years, the South has been seeing massive influx of transplants, job creation, rapid neighborhood development and all sorts of growth. Is there any evidence or reason to believe that this growth will taper off and stabilize?

Likewise, is there any evidence or reason to believe that places in the Midwest and Northeast will see gains in population growth, job creation, infrastructure expansion and the like?

I mean, certain areas are out of control, like Phoenix, Atlanta, Charlotte, and still Florida and Texas.

It seems like rapid growth is over with in California and the Northeast, however.

What do you think will happen in the future to the various metro areas and regions of the nation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 06:44 PM

375 posts, read 800,774 times
I think that certain Sun Belt states will continue to boom. Texas will because of its oil, as well as having two World Class cities and a few more well known cities with good economies. Georgia should do okay too. However, I think Florida and maybe even Arizona will stagnate. The housing market crash hit Florida, Arizona and Nevada pretty damn hard, and while they are still growing, it won't be as impressive, say in 20 years.

I think though that overall the growth will still be southern oriented. People want to live where it's warm. The only exceptions will be places that are booming because of mineral wealth (North Dakota) or are more like sunbelt cities (Like Columbus OH, or Indianapolis. Even KC is booming as far as the metro grows.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:48 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

It seems like rapid growth is over with in California and the Northeast, however.
California is growing nearly at the same rate as Georgia and is actually growing faster than Maryland, Tennessee, Oklahoma and many other states that one might think is beating CA in this regard.

List of U.S. states by population growth rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-10-2014, 07:24 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,956,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
I think that certain Sun Belt states will continue to boom. Texas will because of its oil, as well as having two World Class cities and a few more well known cities with good economies. Georgia should do okay too. However, I think Florida and maybe even Arizona will stagnate. The housing market crash hit Florida, Arizona and Nevada pretty damn hard, and while they are still growing, it won't be as impressive, say in 20 years.

I think though that overall the growth will still be southern oriented. People want to live where it's warm. The only exceptions will be places that are booming because of mineral wealth (North Dakota) or are more like sunbelt cities (Like Columbus OH, or Indianapolis. Even KC is booming as far as the metro grows.
Texas has no world class cities.
Dallas and Houston are bland and boring. I've been to both. Neither of them compare to NYC, LA, SF, DC, Paris, London, Tokyo, Rome, Berlin, etc.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:28 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Texas has no world class cities.
Dallas and Houston are bland and boring. I've been to both. Neither of them compare to NYC, LA, SF, DC, Paris, London, Tokyo, Rome, Berlin, etc.
Dismissive, uninformed and condescending.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:37 PM

87 posts, read 180,990 times
[quote=greenbay33;32966295]I think that certain Sun Belt states will continue to boom. Texas will because of its oil, as well as having two World Class cities and a few more well known cities with good economies. Georgia should do okay too. However, I think Florida and maybe even Arizona will stagnate. The housing market crash hit Florida, Arizona and Nevada pretty damn hard, and while they are still growing, it won't be as impressive, say in 20 years.

I think though that overall the growth will still be southern oriented. People want to live where it's warm. The only exceptions will be places that are booming because of mineral wealth (North Dakota) or are more like sunbelt cities (Like Columbus OH, or Indianapolis. Even KC is booming as far as the metro grows.[/quote.]

columbus is a sunbelt town now. learn something new everyday.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:48 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,366,063 times
Many places in the SE and SW are booming because these are the years in which Sunbelt cities took their turn to grow. At one time, California was booming and places in the Midwest were booming. What used to be small Southern towns or metros back then, are now turning into significant and large metros. For all we know, once the Sunbelt finishes its turn, there might be expansion in the Northern Great Plain states (The Dakotas, Montana, Nebraska, Wyoming, and perhaps Idaho and Iowa).

Old 01-10-2014, 08:06 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,196,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post

When people move from one place to another they supposedly rarely do it just because of the weather. My guess is that economics will always be the determining factor.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:27 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,820,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
When people move from one place to another they supposedly rarely do it just because of the weather. My guess is that economics will always be the determining factor.
Phoenix, for an example, gets pretty hot. I think this limits a lot of people coming over here. Surely, not a lot because of Phoenix's massive growth, but I'm sure it limits a few. If Phoenix was not as hot as it is, this place could probably be LA size. Or maybe on par with Chicago and Philly. We are already #5 after all, behind NYC, LA, Chicago, Philly, and Houston.

But economics is most important. They need to secure a job. However, if the person has limitations (hates the sun, wants four seasons, needs to be near family, etc.) they won't apply to Phoenix, unless they have reached desperation.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:28 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
In the Sunbelt, growth will eventually level off at some point. I don't see the North booming again as it did in the pre-war era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.