Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you use winter tires?
Yes 20 30.30%
No 37 56.06%
We don't get snow here 9 13.64%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 12:33 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,812,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
There is a difference between NONE and VERY FEW. Cheese Plate has stated many times that NO ONE buys them. I understand in some regions very few people buy them but to state that NO ONE stocks them is erroneous
That is a fairly pedantic point to be making a big fuss about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 12:36 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
That is a fairly pedantic difference to be making a big fuss about.
Then don't deal in absolutes. To me there is a big difference between NONE and FEW.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:45 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OifbH5siF0

Old 01-12-2015, 02:49 PM

969 posts, read 2,073,570 times
I use winter tires, live in the Lake Erie snowbelt area of NYS, also a very hilly area. I'd estimate that ~20% of people use winter tires out here, though very heavily dependent on your specific location & driving requirements... pretty easy to spot snows with the typical black steel wheels. I also have 4WD and gor some winters I could get away w/o winter tires but I've never regretted using them... huge gain in traction, in both snow and ice, and stopping ability. Snow tires have really improved, the materials are now "sticky" even in cold temperatures. All-years are improved too but in bad conditions you need optimal tires... if you have snows, you can continue using the all-years during summer when the tires are borderline in tread. And once winters wear down to a point, they then become better used as summers. Using snows allows optimal use of the tires.

Strange topic for the insane but entertaining "my city is better than" yours city-data bickering.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:21 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Maybe people use them where they get multiple FEET of snow in a short amount of time or places with mountains and lots of elevation change?

As everyone else from the upper midwest said......I've been in the upper midwest for 35 years now and personally I haven't heard anyone say "winter tires" since probably the early 1980's.

Personally I've never met anyone who has ever changed their tires from season to season or brought it up.

I'm sure it happens, but at least in the Midwest it would be very very rare unless you're maybe in some snow belt by the great lakes or live near mountainous terrain?

I have a lot of friends in the snowbelt in Western Michigan and I randomly just texted asking them if it's common to switch out tires in the winter. They either said no, or that they use to back in like the 1970's.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:56 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
You seem to be really hung up on the term no one. The numbers are probably no higher than 5% and maybe closer to 2%, which isn't nobody, but it is a very, very small number.
It's around 2% of sales, including commercial vehicles. Almost all will be in mountainous areas of the country, which has been well established by everyone on here. Why it's so important to win a "battle" of semantics I'll never know, but while I'll gladly concede the battle (there are probably a handful of exceptions, likely well under 1% in the Upper Midwest), the war itself was over decades ago. Snow tires lost. Outside of a few rare exceptions which have been detailed ad nauseum on here.

Nearly no citizens switch out to snow tires on their personal vehicles in the United States outside some extreme rural alpine areas. Is that better?

And what started the whole thing was seeing yes/no being even on the poll, when there should in reality be one yes for every 50-100 no's. It's still at a ridiculous 25/15, which makes me wonder how many people stuff one side of a poll when they're totally unfamiliar, just cuz they like hitting buttons.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:41 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Then don't deal in absolutes. To me there is a big difference between NONE and FEW.
Statistically, no, there is no difference.

If 99% of people aren't using snow tires, then it's fair to say that people aren't using snow tires.

I personally have never heard of someone using snow tires, and I have lived in many cold weather states, including Michigan and Illinois. You basically never see it.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
It's around 2% of sales, including commercial vehicles. Almost all will be in mountainous areas of the country, which has been well established by everyone on here. Why it's so important to win a "battle" of semantics I'll never know, but while I'll gladly concede the battle (there are probably a handful of exceptions, likely well under 1% in the Upper Midwest), the war itself was over decades ago. Snow tires lost. Outside of a few rare exceptions which have been detailed ad nauseum on here.
Winter tires account for 2.86% of all tire sales in the continental U.S. The Upper Midwest (Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota) had a total of 7,778,438 registered private and commercial vehicles in 2012, which was about 3.07% of the total registered vehicles in the United States.

Table 1-11: Number of U.S. Aircraft, Vehicles, Vessels, and Other Conveyances | Bureau of Transportation Statistics

• Number of registered U.S. motor-vehicles by state 2012 | Statistic

Old 01-13-2015, 01:42 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Winter tires account for 2.86% of all tire sales in the continental U.S. The Upper Midwest (Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota) had a total of 7,778,438 registered private and commercial vehicles in 2012, which was about 3.07% of the total registered vehicles in the United States.

Table 1-11: Number of U.S. Aircraft, Vehicles, Vessels, and Other Conveyances | Bureau of Transportation Statistics

• Number of registered U.S. motor-vehicles by state 2012 | Statistic
Uh...? Isn't that nearly exactly what I just said? Take commercial vehicles out, and you're worrying about >2% of the tires sold in this country. Which is a miniscule amount. Vs what we're seeing in the clearly ridiculous poll.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Uh...? Isn't that nearly exactly what I just said? Take commercial vehicles out, and you're worrying about >2% of the tires sold in this country. Which is a miniscule amount. Vs what we're seeing in the clearly ridiculous poll.
The Upper Midwest also accounts for a miniscule amount of total vehicles in the U.S.

It's virtually impossible to determine how many people switch tires based on tire sales alone since most people, even if they're using winter tires, don't buy them each year. Going with the numbers though, if we assumed that 30% of all winter tire sales are transacted in those three states, then at least 5% of vehicles there are rolling on winters. This is guesswork, of course. Based on the little data I could find, I would guess between 10%-20%.

I wouldn't take any C-D poll too seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.