Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 07:56 AM

93,280 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

The salary you must earn to buy a home in 27 metros
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 08:24 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Wow, for me that really drives home how expensive SD is. And how cheap Atlanta and Tampa can be. Pittsburgh was a surprise.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:47 AM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
Most to Least Expensive...

1.San Francisco
2.San Diego
3.Los Angeles
4.New York City
5.Washington D.C.
6.Seattle
7.Denver
8.Portland
9.Sacramento
10.Miami

11.Chicago
12.Baltimore
13.Philadelphia
14.Houston
15.Dallas
16.Minneapolis
17.San Antonio
18.Orlando
19.Phoenix
20.Detroit
21.Atlanta
22.St.Louis
23.Cincinnati
24.Tampa
25.Cleveland

Denver/Portland/Sacramento above Miami/Chicago/Philadelphia and Phoenix/Detroit above Atlanta/Tampa

Old 01-06-2015, 08:48 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
I wish they would just give a list on one page. I am very close to boycotting all slideshow-style lists.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:16 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Wow, for me that really drives home how expensive SD is. And how cheap Atlanta and Tampa can be. Pittsburgh was a surprise.
I honestly don't know how most regular folks do it in this city (SD), the salaries here are higher than average but not nearly to the level of the increased ratio of home prices. The $46k required increase in salary in SF would almost be met in most jobs there compared to here, but SF is off the deep end in affordability- as I guess so too is SD in almost everyone's reality.

We were very lucky to have bought 18 years ago (the nadir of the market for the time) an averaged price home in a neighborhood that totally gentrified around us to become the ideal place for us to live; we could never afford to buy our house today. If not for that set of circumstances- even just swapping houses in this city would be daunting- choosing to cash out our modest bungalow for a bundle to live in a nice but far cheaper locale would seem very attractive.

While I wouldn't necessarily proclaim there are many equally desirable cities to reside in than here (IMHO), there certainly are a handful, and even the more expensive ones are a hell of a lot cheaper- and there are several cities/locales listed that are perfectly nice places to carve out a good life without having a mortgage the size of the rock of Gibraltar looming over you- in fact easy to afford a fine house.

This is very relevant information for those on a career path and considering how to provide a good life for themselves and their family. Of course where we reside can be as much a set of carefully considered choices and opportunities as much as unplanned circumstances, familial ties or just a settled comfort level of familiarity and friends. Although this very site provides seemingly all the information to pack up and forge a new future in a different city/area confident you know what you are getting into; and people do it all the time, in reality at least for most of us, moving is a nerve racking experience to even consider.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:57 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Most to Least Expensive...

1.San Francisco
2.San Diego
3.Los Angeles
4.New York City
5.Washington D.C.
6.Seattle
7.Denver
8.Portland
9.Sacramento
10.Miami

11.Chicago
12.Baltimore
13.Philadelphia
14.Houston
15.Dallas
16.Minneapolis
17.San Antonio
18.Orlando
19.Phoenix
20.Detroit
21.Atlanta
22.St.Louis
23.Cincinnati
24.Tampa
25.Cleveland

Denver/Portland/Sacramento above Miami/Chicago/Philadelphia and Phoenix/Detroit above Atlanta/Tampa
5. Boston

Old 01-08-2015, 12:46 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
With a median price of $217,000 in which neighborhoods?

Old 01-08-2015, 08:12 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
I hate these stupid rankings, because they are not apples-to-apples, ever.

The vast majority of New Yorkers live in small apartments, and rent, not own. The vast majority of Americans live in bigger houses, and own, not rent. So how do you judge relative affordability between, say, NYC and Little Rock by comparing a housing typology that is extremely unusual in one of the two cities?

Housing burden (defined as % of income eaten up by housing costs) are generally not much higher in NYC and SF than in the Little Rocks of the world (because the housing typology is different in these cities). But you will never know that from these rankings, where you would get the impression that you need five times the salary to live in a big city or something, which makes no sense.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:49 AM

448 posts, read 812,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I wish they would just give a list on one page. I am very close to boycotting all slideshow-style lists.
Here you go buddy.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:56 AM

448 posts, read 812,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I hate these stupid rankings, because they are not apples-to-apples, ever.

The vast majority of New Yorkers live in small apartments, and rent, not own. The vast majority of Americans live in bigger houses, and own, not rent. So how do you judge relative affordability between, say, NYC and Little Rock by comparing a housing typology that is extremely unusual in one of the two cities?

Housing burden (defined as % of income eaten up by housing costs) are generally not much higher in NYC and SF than in the Little Rocks of the world (because the housing typology is different in these cities). But you will never know that from these rankings, where you would get the impression that you need five times the salary to live in a big city or something, which makes no sense.
The comparison isn't about true cost of living or affordability, it's about how much money you would have to earn in order to buy an average home in the metro area. If you want to own your own home, this list is a helpful comparison tool. If you're okay with renting, then comparing average rents between cities would be a more helpful tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.