Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hot or Cold
Hot 96 50.26%
Cold 95 49.74%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 11:52 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times

Advertisements

Year round 0-5 degrees cold would suuuuuuck.

But I much prefer weather where I can wear hoodies, jeans and boots over tank tops, shorts, and sandals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 12:08 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Out of the two, I prefer the heat but a dry climate heat. You can always wear a hat and drive a car.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:11 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Out of the two, I prefer the heat but a dry climate heat. You can always wear a hat and drive a car.
I too prefer a dry climate heat as I have some circulation issues in my fingers & toes in extremely cold temperatures.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:38 PM

448 posts, read 813,289 times
Year round anything sounds awful.

Give me my 4 seasons!

Old 01-07-2015, 12:41 PM

68 posts, read 121,735 times
We'll have that medium please! 50 degrees year round thank you very much! And PLEASE don't forget the constant overcast & drizzle! Wind? No thank you!

Old 01-07-2015, 01:18 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
I can't say I like near sub-zero temperatures, but I tolerate them much better than the heat. If you put me in year-round 100 degree weather I'd have to drink a few gallons of water a day just to replace how much I'd lose in sweat. I sweat like a pig in 80 degree weather, never mind 100 degree weather.

If you said annual temperatures were in the 20s year round I'd even more strongly prefer it. Once it hits around 20 it's warm enough your face doesn't start burning when you're outside uncovered.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:20 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Yeah... these temperature extremes are little less realistic. It gets pretty cold in the north, but I don't think any state stays that cold year round. The hot states don't stay that hot year round either. It is more reasonable to say 20's and 30's for the colder states (I realize it gets down REAL cold at times, but it's not likely to last either).

Old 01-07-2015, 01:40 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Yeah... these temperature extremes are little less realistic. It gets pretty cold in the north, but I don't think any state stays that cold year round. The hot states don't stay that hot year round either. It is more reasonable to say 20's and 30's for the colder states (I realize it gets down REAL cold at times, but it's not likely to last either).
Barrow, Alaska is the furthest northern town in the U.S. The average annual high is 17, and the average low is 6, so even discounting seasonality (since it's typically above freezing from mid-May to the end of September), this is warmer than the O.P. premise.

About the only place I could think of where you might get unchanging annual temperatures of around 5 degrees would be on a really tall mountain (above the snow line) in the tropics - somewhere in the Andes or the Himalayas.

On the other hand, I can't think of anywhere in the world which would be as hot as the OP's premise. Deserts get that hot during the day, but because of the low humidity/low cloud cover they cool off massively at night. Average temperatures in more humid climates tend to peak more around 90ish. Highs are below 80 typically in tropical rainforests (although with the humidity, it doesn't feel mild).

Old 01-07-2015, 01:42 PM

447 posts, read 496,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
would you rather live in an area that is frigid cold year around (0-5 degrees) or in a overwhelmingly hot year around (98-104 degrees)???

Seems that the cold is looked down upon but I don't see why.. other than a little bit more commute time during snowy times. I have lived in Alaska, Hawaii, Florida, and Ohio. I must say that I am fond of the colder snowy type environments
That is not a fare questions. Humans cannot naturally survive in an environment that is 0-5 degrees Fahrenheit year round. Vegetation can never grow thus there would be no food or wood for construction or fuel to warm us. In short, 1-5 deg. year round is Antarctica and that is not exactly known for it's human inhabitants.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:13 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post
That is not a fare questions. Humans cannot naturally survive in an environment that is 0-5 degrees Fahrenheit year round. Vegetation can never grow thus there would be no food or wood for construction or fuel to warm us. In short, 1-5 deg. year round is Antarctica and that is not exactly known for it's human inhabitants.
Sure, they can. It's called importing goods from more hospitable climates Also, people (namely researchers) do live in Antarctica (tourists also visit the area). They survive in large part due to what I outlined. At the end of the day, is that kind of life glamorous? Not to me. But, then again, that's a main reason for me not wanting to live in such an environment, hence my answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.