Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hot or Cold
Hot 96 50.26%
Cold 95 49.74%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 08:11 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Put on long johns, a sweater, a down coat, hat, gloves, and insulated pants for my walk and bagel this morning. Plenty warm with all that clothing. Quite comfortable in 10-degree weather with a <0 wind chill. I'll take this over 100 degree heat with high humidity. There's no protection from that!
Funny, much of my childhood I spent in the Detroit area. I grew up in one of those old houses without AC.

So in the winter, we had heat, comforters, blankets, you were never truly uncomfortable inside the house. In the summer, during the dog days, it could be hard to sleep at night, and would sometimes even move myself to the basement because it provided some relief.

But saying all this, I still loved summer way more. As did most people in Detroit. Winter was an abomination even if our homes were heated, even if we could wear tons of layers and be "ok" for a little while outside. Every September when the temps began to cool to the 70s, I would be half-way pleased but also half-way sad that my summer was gone. During winter, it was nonstop counting down to the spring and summer. And this is not me, but 99% of people around me as well. This is why in the midwest, swimming suit sales spike in the winter, because they all book trips somewhere warm and summer like.

I guess outdoor minded people will prefer the warmth, and indoor people the cold. I rather 100 F with no AC, then 20s and heat, there is something liberating about being outside, comfortable, without lbs of clothes so the sun can see you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 11:15 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I guess outdoor minded people will prefer the warmth, and indoor people the cold. I rather 100 F with no AC, then 20s and heat, there is something liberating about being outside, comfortable, without lbs of clothes so the sun can see you.
Not at all, I'm an outdoor person and so are a lot of people here (and where you're from, in MI, but outside the Detroit area), and the minute it's above 85 and humid, I'd rather be in air conditioning. I'll bet Minnesota (for one example) is much more active than (for one example) Mississippi, even though the former is one of the coldest states and the latter is one of the warmest. Just look at where the country's worst obesity problems lie, or check a "healthiest states" ranking, which is often quite similar - the worst generally is in the hottest, humidest areas of the south.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Not at all, I'm an outdoor person and so are a lot of people here (and where you're from, in MI, but outside the Detroit area), and the minute it's above 85 and humid, I'd rather be in air conditioning. I'll bet Minnesota (for one example) is much more active than (for one example) Mississippi, even though the former is one of the coldest states and the latter is one of the warmest. Just look at where the country's worst obesity problems lie, or check a "healthiest states" ranking, which is often quite similar - the worst generally is in the hottest, humidest areas of the south.
No that's a demographic (race) and social (poverty) issue. However Michigan and Mississippi are about the same via obesity yet very different in weather.

Some of the healthiest states are Hawaii (longest life span, fittest) and Hawaii has 80 degree days throughout the year. Not to mention California, Arizona, Nevada, and other such states would be high on the fitness index whereas North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Illinois on some of the lowest. Not to mention Ohio, Iowa.

Anyways, I was in Minnesota and the very active Minnesotans spent their time in gyms during the winter. For the most part. Honestly, that sucks, from one indoor place to another indoor. This is the reason Minneapolis has such trouble growing despite a good economy....It sucks to be cold. 99% of people rather be warm, which is why "sunbelt" was coined. Simply people moving to southern states and looking for work, instead of what Minneapolis gets, people moving there for work and regretting it.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
No that's a demographic (race) and social (poverty) issue. However Michigan and Mississippi are about the same via obesity yet very different in weather.

Some of the healthiest states are Hawaii (longest life span, fittest) and Hawaii has 80 degree days throughout the year. Not to mention California, Arizona, Nevada, and other such states would be high on the fitness index whereas North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Illinois on some of the lowest. Not to mention Ohio, Iowa.

Anyways, I was in Minnesota and the very active Minnesotans spent their time in gyms during the winter. For the most part. Honestly, that sucks, from one indoor place to another indoor. This is the reason Minneapolis has such trouble growing despite a good economy....It sucks to be cold. 99% of people rather be warm, which is why "sunbelt" was coined. Simply people moving to southern states and looking for work, instead of what Minneapolis gets, people moving there for work and regretting it.
Uh, no Peg. Here are the fattest states: http://calorielab.com/news/wp-images...s-2011-big.jpg

Here are the healthiest: http://abco.advisory.com/images/DB_e...450&h=312&as=1

The deep south, the hottest region of the country, is the fattest and least healthy. The end. There is no pattern to your original assessment at all. Some warm states are amongst the healthiest, and some are amongst the least healthy. Weather has nothing to do with it.

Glad you were in the Twin Cities and saw people in the gym, it's a very fit area and people work out inside and out. However, if you would have actually left the city and checked out any of the thousands of frozen lakes, you would have seen people out there fishing, walking in the "extreme" cold; if you would have gone on the cross country trails, you would have seen people filling them. And so on.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:40 AM

8,040 posts, read 10,632,364 times
It could stay Autumn all year round and I would be a very content person (if they just wouldn't do the stupid daylight "savings" time thing.)

Old 02-16-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
The deep south, the hottest region of the country, is the fattest and least healthy. The end. There is no pattern to your original assessment at all. Some warm states are amongst the healthiest, and some are amongst the least healthy. Weather has nothing to do with it.
To put it bluntly, the deep south is the way it is because it has a high percentage of poor people (the poorest in the country) and on top of that, a high percentage of blacks who are predisposed to obesity due to genetics but when combined with their poor lifestyle and eating choices in the south, become a very nasty combination. Same reason why Detroit is one of the highest obese cities, if not the highest obese cities.

Minneapolis outside in the winter is dead, except for bus stops.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:45 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times
lol. Does it taste good? Great! Let's add more butter and gravy :-)

Does it lack flavor? Great! Let's fry it!

Old 02-16-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Minneapolis outside in the winter is dead, except for bus stops.
Not true at all! You have zero idea of what you're talking about. Your "theory" is so full of holes it can't hold a solid.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Not true at all! You have zero idea of what you're talking about. Your "theory" is so full of holes it can't hold a solid.
I have lived there for over a year lol. I lived in Downtown, and basically where northeast and dinky town meet. And yes it's dead. And yes that's something they admit, and tell you to just wait wait until summer then it will be alive.

Besides the cold, besides the snow, besides the early sunset times, this is another layer of depression to the TC in the winter months.

Then when summer comes, it explodes.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:00 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
I have lived there for over a year lol. I lived in Downtown, and basically where northeast and dinky town meet. And yes it's dead. And yes that's something they admit, and tell you to just wait wait until summer then it will be alive.

Besides the cold, besides the snow, besides the early sunset times, this is another layer of depression to the TC in the winter months.

Then when summer comes, it explodes.
The same thing happens with the real estate market.

Quote:
In October, home sales generally hold on. Then in November, home sales dip again, by 8 percent generally. December figures tend to match the low November figures. Because of the dark, cold weather spanning most of the country, January is not pretty for home sales, with an average plunge of 27 percent. Sunlight then flickers in February with a small rise. Much stronger activity then arises in March and April and into the summer months.
It's not like people are making this up. Even if you personally prefer wintery conditions to summer ones, it's pretty much an objective fact that colder weather has a depressing effect on activity that warmer months do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.