Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hot or Cold
Hot 96 50.26%
Cold 95 49.74%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 09:13 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,007,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I can put on enough clothing to make my body into a melting furnace if need be but I can't take off enough clothes to counteract the hell that is the insane heat of places like Florida.
There, I fixed your post. Please don't presume that you are speaking for others. If you cannot become comfortable in heat, then living in a cold place may be better for you. However, not all people have the exact same response to heat, cold, humidity, etc.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 02-09-2015 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 09:17 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,312,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
There, I fixed your post. Please don't presume that you are speaking for others. If you cannot become comfortable in heat, then living in a cold place may be better for you. However, not all people have the exact same response to heat, cold, humidity, etc.
You fixed nothing.

Anyone ANYWHERE can put on enough clothing to be more than warm enough (unless you aren't human).

Old 02-09-2015, 09:26 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,863,806 times
Quote:
You fixed nothing.

Anyone ANYWHERE can put on enough clothing to be more than warm enough (unless you aren't human).
Some people do seem to have perpetual issues with coldness in their extremities even if the temperature is only mildly cold. Women in particular. I'm always shocked at how ice cold my wife's hands are even indoors in the winter, and she is just as shocked that no matter what the weather is, I radiate heat.

Needless to say, I do much better with the winter than she does.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:46 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,312,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Some people do seem to have perpetual issues with coldness in their extremities even if the temperature is only mildly cold. Women in particular. I'm always shocked at how ice cold my wife's hands are even indoors in the winter, and she is just as shocked that no matter what the weather is, I radiate heat.

Needless to say, I do much better with the winter than she does.
Sure, that's true! Put some battery powered gloves on those hands!

Old 02-09-2015, 09:48 AM

3,068 posts, read 7,979,675 times
Heat baby heat. San Diegi would beperfect. I like boring weather with few surprises.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:55 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,577,260 times
Hot. I live in south Texas, it is just right in midsummer, although I do run the AC in the afternoon and evening to overcome poor architecture. Winters are brutal (daytime highs only in 50s-60s). I lived in Indonesia for a while, in a house without AC, and loved it.

It's 1.5 miles walk to the supermarket and back, and I don't mind the walk in summer when the heat index is 110. In winter, I schedule my shopping for warm days, I won't go if it is below about 55.

I've traveled to nearly all tropical countries, the heat is simply there, you live with it, there is no AC anywhere in most of the tropics. Buildings are designed to be comfortable in the heat, with shade and ventilation and maybe a ceiling fan, if there is electricity. In the USA, they build an AC, and then set down a hermetically-sealed building around it.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-09-2015 at 10:06 AM..

Old 02-09-2015, 10:14 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,491,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Hot. I live in south Texas, it is just right in midsummer, although I do run the AC in the afternoon and evening to overcome poor architecture. Winters are brutal (daytime highs only in 50s-60s). I lived in Indonesia for a while, in a house without AC, and loved it.

It's 1.5 miles walk to the supermarket and back, and I don't mind the walk in summer when the heat index is 110. In winter, I schedule my shopping for warm days, I won't go if it is below about 55.

I've traveled to nearly all tropical countries, the heat is simply there, you live with it, there is no AC anywhere in most of the tropics. Buildings are designed to be comfortable in the heat, with shade and ventilation and maybe a ceiling fan, if there is electricity. In the USA, they build an AC, and then set down a hermetically-sealed building around it.
Right, and those places are mired in the 3rd world because of the lack of infrastructure that's developed in our own south (namely: AC). Worker production is much lower in places like that, and it's not hard to see why that would be. You are absolutely an exception if that's truly what you prefer.

Though I have to wonder what's wrong with you physically if you have to avoid 60 degree weather, LOL!

Old 02-09-2015, 11:07 AM

7,469 posts, read 6,184,116 times
If I never ever see it below 70 deg F, I will be happy. I don't like cold weather, don't like snow, ice. I don't even like frost.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:53 AM

338 posts, read 552,060 times
Hot. I've been freezing my nuts off up here in the northeast for too damn long.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:53 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,072,387 times
Quote:
You can put on enough clothing to make your body into a melting furnace if need be but you can't take off enough clothes to counteract the hell that is the insane heat of places like Florida.
But if you don't use a car that often, you're still going to need to carry all those layers with you when it warms back up.
"Sir, you need to go back and pick up that trail of apparel you left behind there!!!"

Either that or just be a weirdo and keep all the dead-weight on until you get home!!

Anywho, I'll take hot weather and next-to-no clouds all throughout the year.
Been living here in eastern NM for the past 2+ years and the winters out here are bad enough.
However, I still get the third degree from people that have lived in the Northeastern US and the Southeastern/Maritime provinces of Canada that won't shut up about "THIS AIN'T NOTHING. YOU SHOULD COME UP TO---".

"How about no!! Mr Frosty!!"

Despite the political stigma/media controversies coming out of the area, Phoenix and the rest of the southern half of Arizona is still looking like a viable option each day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.