Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 05:57 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,686,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I thought this map was pretty good.

//www.city-data.com/forum/20726549-post124.html

this map makes a lot sense to me actually

only quibble is Rehobeth and Dewey Beach in DE should at the very least be in the transitional zone OC MD is S Mid Atlantic not sure Rehoboth and Dewey are

Old 01-08-2015, 06:03 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,334,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Kid View Post
And to further add on to my previous comment; the red republican parts of Maryland are outside of DC and Baltimore.
I'm already aware of this. That is also a very small portion of the state, so you just proved your earlier statement wrong.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:07 PM

31,887 posts, read 34,388,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
this map makes a lot sense to me actually

only quibble is Rehobeth and Dewey Beach in DE should at the very least be in the transitional zone OC MD is S Mid Atlantic not sure Rehoboth and Dewey are
I can agree with that. I think it's still a decent job considering it was just a rough outline of sorts.

Baltimore's designation makes sense because it was historically where the North and South interfaced with each other. The city's website even says this.

I know DC posters are dying to be lumped in with the Mid Atlantic cities to its North rather than its South, but that grouping also makes sense to me. Washington, DC and Alexandria were basically the same type of Southern city as Richmond or Norfolk. The federal government boom has dramatically altered the character of the Capital Region, but those three cities share the same roots, so to speak. You can see that in how considerably less ethnic those cities are.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
It is a biased opinion in which you just proved my point by judging dc and baltimore and try to make the state of Maryland equivilent to the two cities when most of Maryland is mostly aligned with Virginia and North Carolina but swear that Texas is a Southern State even though it is Southwestern with a Mexican twist.
When have I ever spoken about Texas? What?

And nothing is biased about political stats. Most of the state of Maryland is a suburb of Baltimore and DC which makes up most of the Maryland's population. Maryland doesn't not have more uncommon with North Carolina than New Jersey or Pennsylvania.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:08 PM

867 posts, read 1,388,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy215267 View Post
Route 13 is the way to go....that exact way...on the way down its like after New Castle , De its like okay...then it gets all grassland lol. I love that bridge 27 Miles...i will say that is something that would not fit up here. lol. Omg Cowtown it still exist i went there one time when i was younger and i didn't understand it. lol. Oh Yeah that Philly Radio will let you know lol....Del Mem Bridge i always thought it was in Maryland lol. I can imagine it for the climax because you dont see anything like that in Va ?
Good thing about 13 is that you don't really have to deal with that much traffic especially since the One first got extended/opened... it felt like and open free for all dragstrip...80mph + LMAO. It is kinda boring but over the years you get different markers...1st Shore Stop...all the way to New Castle/Wilmington/Chester. Cowtown Flea used to have some sweet deals on sneaks way back when. LMAO, nah, the Del Mem Bridge was the climax-anti-climax ...not because nothing like that was in VA but because...I knew then we would be going out in the country FIRST instead of hittin Philly. Im from downtown Norfolk, Im used to bright lights. We got excited to go to Philly as youngins...then at the last minute the grown folks make that decision to take 40/DMBridge...that's when the air goes out the balloon because you already know your gonna be stuck out there...especially if you went up on a Friday and arrived at dusk while the radio was jamming...."AAaaaaaaah yeah we almost up Philly" then you see the car moving to the right lane -East 40 -DEL MEM BR- NJturnpike toll and then you already know what time it is. SMH.

Coming back over that bridge though(CBBT) makes me feel like we live out in the middle of the ocean in a land of our own. I like that.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:10 PM

31,887 posts, read 34,388,425 times
^^If you're from Norfolk, then why didn't you look up to DC or Baltimore as the "big city?" They are closer.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:12 PM

96 posts, read 99,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
I'm already aware of this. That is also a very small portion of the state, so you just proved your earlier statement wrong.
If your talking about population and voter count thats subjective.

is the Governor of MD a Democrat or Republican?

Old 01-08-2015, 06:18 PM

96 posts, read 99,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
When have I ever spoken about Texas? What?

And nothing is biased about political stats. Most of the state of Maryland is a suburb of Baltimore and DC which makes up most of the Maryland's population. Maryland doesn't not have more uncommon with North Carolina than New Jersey or Pennsylvania.
Outside of Politics Maryland is still a Southern State. Maryland has more in common with Virginia and North Carolina than Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
If your talking about population and voter count thats subjective.

is the Governor of MD a Democrat or Republican?
Look at the votes for Obama vs. Romney. Is that subject too?

Is Maryland a blue, purple or red state?

Red states and blue states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-08-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Outside of Politics Maryland is still a Southern State. Maryland has more in common with Virginia and North Carolina than Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York.
Religion, economy (that's definitely a no), wealth, sports? All of these factors has nothing in common with the south.

Beside Louisiana which is highly catholic as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.