Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 03:23 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times

Advertisements

Yes, I moved on, but not because of naysayers ......Los Cruises first winter, pipes froze and it snowed a day or two. Winter home the last 2 years Boulder City, Nv. Lake Mead at my doorstep. ( I tried Tucson too, but not my kinda place.......much to big , crime , and poor road system. I am happy here, just 30 min from Sin City,, ( when I want it )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 04:07 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,085 times
EL PASO TEXAS FTW!

El Paso has the perfect climate. Dry, sunny and warm with only a taste of winter. Very hard to beat!

Careful to read some of the data on some sites as they measure as city snowfall the Franklin Mountains which fall within the city limits. Snow is very rare in El Paso's lower valley

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate...tates/ustx0413

Old 02-13-2017, 12:03 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,878,914 times
Prescott, Albuquerque, Reno have similar mild climate, not as good as the coastal cities though.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:12 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2nova1976 View Post
The Central Coast of CA (around Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Monterrey) has perfect weather IMO, but there has to be somewhere else in this country that comes close. Being an NYer, I would never feel comfortable about moving out there to the west coast the vibe was weird for me when i went (was in Anaheim, LA, Palm Springs, SF and Humboldt County) and being from Brooklyn if I ever moved to California (or Red Sox Territory for that matter) my mom and friends would probably stop talking to me lol

Anywhere in the mainland USA that is not on the Pacific and does not get hotter than 85, has mild (minimal snow and wind) winters, and less than 5% humidity? Anywhere close? I would rather cold than heat and I can't take humidity.

This is for the distant future lol, not anytime soon cause I am about to move to DC for work

Anywhere besides Hawaii, Alaska, CA, OR, or WA

Nowhere really matches but higher elevation areas of Zona, NM, Colo, Reno, Nevada come about the closest.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:51 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Perfectly controlled weather can be found inside your properly heated and air conditioned home.
It astonishes me that people think that there's some sort of perfect climate utopia out there that is also cheap, safe, fun, uncrowded, has great infrastructure, plentiful high paying jobs, and diversity without tension.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:32 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Albuquerque has a good climate according to many people.I hear its a 4-season climate and summer is not extreme there.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:13 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
The Coastal South has areas of your climate preference from coastal North Carolina, up to southern coastal Virginia. Cape Hatteras especially comes quite close to your preferences:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Hatteras#Climate
I don't think the OP would last a minute in the South.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:08 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Honestly, outside of CA or OR/WA, slim pickings. There is nowhere outside of those states that stays below 85° without getting cold in the winter. To put it in perspective, east of the Rockies, the 85° line goes pretty much down I-90 to Chicago, then I-80 to NYC. And west of the Rockies, generally have to be 6,000ft plus in elevation to see a high 85° or less in summer. The best compromise is Flagstaff, AZ, normal High's range from 44° to 84°, BUT mornings range from 16° to 51°. If you were willing to up your heat threshold, you could look at Nogales, AZ. Normal High's from 62° to 95° and normal lows from 28° to 66°

Old 02-16-2017, 10:46 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Honestly, outside of CA or OR/WA, slim pickings. There is nowhere outside of those states that stays below 85° without getting cold in the winter. To put it in perspective, east of the Rockies, the 85° line goes pretty much down I-90 to Chicago, then I-80 to NYC. And west of the Rockies, generally have to be 6,000ft plus in elevation to see a high 85° or less in summer. The best compromise is Flagstaff, AZ, normal High's range from 44° to 84°, BUT mornings range from 16° to 51°. If you were willing to up your heat threshold, you could look at Nogales, AZ. Normal High's from 62° to 95° and normal lows from 28° to 66°
There are many misconceptions in your broad brush attempt to simplify temperate climents . First , Cal,Or,Wa. Moderation remains on the coastal mountains down to the sea, more and les depending on the state. Take Washington as an example yes western Wa. Is temprtate, eastern Wa. Is very hot and humid in summer, for the most part a desert climate.

Second , I-90 line ? This is a non starter. First a major part of I-90 crosses the Great Plains going east from the Rockies. Temps in the GP run the extremes, very hot, humid summers , very cold and windy winters, not a good place to live, I know was my home for 20 plus years. North or South of I-90 makes little difference. Same goes with I-80 , it's not a dividing line for climate.

There are places east of Chicago that do not have hot summers and most of them are in the mid south . It's all about elevation and latitude . In the Blue Ridge Mtns. mostly in North Carolina where it seldom gets above 80 in summer , and below 3500 ft mild winters. I lived 18 years on the Highlands Plateau at 4,000 ft. AC is an unneeded luxury.Coastal Maine would qualify as well. .......Regarding Flag , it's all about elevation, snows a lot in winter. The same effects in the SW deserts applies to the " Sky Islands" , there are many like Mt Charleston just outside Las Vegas. Depending on elevation above 7,000 winter temps can spike overnight below 20 degrees.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:30 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
There are many misconceptions in your broad brush attempt to simplify temperate climents . First , Cal,Or,Wa. Moderation remains on the coastal mountains down to the sea, more and les depending on the state. Take Washington as an example yes western Wa. Is temprtate, eastern Wa. Is very hot and humid in summer, for the most part a desert climate.

Second , I-90 line ? This is a non starter. First a major part of I-90 crosses the Great Plains going east from the Rockies. Temps in the GP run the extremes, very hot, humid summers , very cold and windy winters, not a good place to live, I know was my home for 20 plus years. North or South of I-90 makes little difference. Same goes with I-80 , it's not a dividing line for climate.

There are places east of Chicago that do not have hot summers and most of them are in the mid south . It's all about elevation and latitude . In the Blue Ridge Mtns. mostly in North Carolina where it seldom gets above 80 in summer , and below 3500 ft mild winters. I lived 18 years on the Highlands Plateau at 4,000 ft. AC is an unneeded luxury.Coastal Maine would qualify as well. .......Regarding Flag , it's all about elevation, snows a lot in winter. The same effects in the SW deserts applies to the " Sky Islands" , there are many like Mt Charleston just outside Las Vegas. Depending on elevation above 7,000 winter temps can spike overnight below 20 degrees.
I was talking normal temps, not the extremes, so there was no misconception. And I counted the areas east of the Cascades and Sierras in the West of the Rockies territory. If you are talking extremes, the only places I know of in the US that NEVER hit 85° are the high Rockies and high Cascades (talking over 10k ft) and the very immediate Pacific Coast from about Ft Bragg, CA northward. To illustrate my dividing line east of the Rockies (which was approximate, not exact, to make it simpler).

Helena, MT Jul 85.7°
Billings, MT Jul 86.8°
Sheridan, WY Jul 87.1°
Rapid City, SD Jul 87.1°
Sioux Falls, SD Jul 84.1°
Rochester, MN Jul 84.0°
Madison, WI Jul 81.6°
Chicago, IL Jul 84.2°
South Bend, IN Jul 83.3°
Toledo, OH Jul 84.5°
Youngstown, OH Jul 81.4°
Hazleton, PA Jul 77.0°
Scranton, PA Jul 81.9°
New York City Jul 84.1°

So while not exact it's a pretty good approximation.

And between the Rockies and Cascades/Sierra, it does depend on elevation. The places you mentioned in Eastern OR/WA I already knew about, and they are realtively low lying for the interior west.

Last edited by FirebirdCamaro1220; 02-16-2017 at 03:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.