Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Missouri or Maryland more southern?
Missouri 81 84.38%
Maryland 15 15.63%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 09:52 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

My father says that Baltimoreans had a thick southern accent in the 60s and early 70s. Then he said it faded out.

Quote:
Indeed, during the 1950s much of old “Southern Baltimore,” which included large parts of Bolton Hill and Roland Park, held on to its culture of choice. “When I moved to Bolton Hill from Cincinnati in 1951, there was a thick Southern accent here,” says Shivers, the 80-year-old local historian, who still lives there. “It had its own culture and you had to get used to it.
http://www.baltimorestyle.com/index.....8OJGZ7qw.dpuf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
We really have no idea of knowing where this guy is from. We only know he works at the DC wharf.
I have an exact idea where he's from because he was my favorite person at the Wharf. All of the other people at the Wharf sound a lot like him.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:07 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I have an exact idea where he's from because he was my favorite person at the Wharf.
Right.

Quote:
My father says that Baltimoreans had a thick southern accent in the 60s and early 70s. Then he said it faded out.

http://www.baltimorestyle.com/index.....8OJGZ7qw.dpuf
No surprise, the same area that was heavily populated by southern industrial workers and their families.

"It had it's own culture and you had to get used to it".

Anyways, we've had this discussion countless times. I'll leave it at that.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:18 AM

34 posts, read 36,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
Here is a basic example of the Missouri bootheel accent. None of their accents are particularly thick either...at least to my ears. Is there a southern accent similar to this anywhere in Maryland????

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=afHZaDD5iuc
Nope. Those are true southerners. In Maryland you don't get that. You don't get into the zone of southern culture until you reach around Richmond Virginia.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:20 AM

34 posts, read 36,212 times
Quote:
I have an exact idea where he's from because he was my favorite person at the Wharf. All of the other people at the Wharf sound a lot like him.
Youre tellin' me that of all the fisherman up there, you randomly got to know this particular guy who also happens to be featured in the first Youtube documentary that pops up when you type in "DC Wharf"? All this from a guy in New York City?

Some stories have the air of truth, others just don't. He's hardly southern, just country.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
No surprise, the same area that was heavily populated by southern industrial workers and their families.
Nope. As the resident historian in the Maryland forum pointed out, Baltimore's southern culture was indigenous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I don't think many of the Appalachian transplants would be living in Roland Park, so I am guessing that is old money.

Baltimore really got a double dose of Southernism

1. The initial settlement and culture of the city as an upper South port town
2. The wave of Appalachian-Americans who moved in around WWII.
That's how Baltimore wound up with something like Preakness, which harkens back to its history as an old Upper South port city.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthernfishin View Post
Youre tellin' me that of all the fisherman up there, you randomly got to know this particular guy who also happens to be featured in the first Youtube documentary that pops up when you type in "DC Wharf"? All this from a guy in New York City?
I'm not originally from NYC. I lived in DC for years before moving here, and yes, I've had multiple conversations with that man because that's just the way he is. You can have very long conversations with the workers there because it takes upwards to 30 minutes to have your crabs steamed and there's nothing to do but talk to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthernfishin View Post
Some stories have the air of truth, others just don't. He's hardly southern, just country.
He's southern. Not so sure what's so hard to accept about this.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:38 AM

From the book Maryland Politics and Political Communication, 1950-2005.

Quote:
Still farther along the Bay's Western shore, forty or so miles beyond Baltimore, are Calvert and St. Mary's County. Tucked behind them, northeast of the Potomac River, is Charles County. These three counties--as well as the southernmost part of Anne Arundel--are Southern Maryland. Whereas the Eastern Shore has a southern feel because of its politics, Southern Maryland has a southern feel because of the historical dominance of tobacco and the large number of rural blacks who resided there.
Quote:
Baltimore City itself is, of course, at the center of metropolitan Baltimore. Although one might connect it quickly to the other major cities located to its northeast (Philadelphia, New York City), Baltimore has always had much more of a southern "feel" to it.
https://books.google.com/books?id=Be...20feel&f=false

Old 01-15-2015, 10:53 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times
Quote:
Here is a basic example of the Missouri bootheel accent. None of their accents are particularly thick either...at least to my ears. Is there a southern accent similar to this anywhere in Maryland????

That is a thick southern accent to me. It's not mild at all, a mild southern accent to me is tidewater which is the Virginia beach area.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:37 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:

That accent sounds thick to me.

Funny how accents sound different in strength depending on where the listeners are from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.