Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Missouri or Maryland more southern?
Missouri 81 84.38%
Maryland 15 15.63%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 08:05 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
Both in a way, Missouri is both more of a Northern state and more of a Southern state than Maryland is, Maryland's alot like West Virginia.
This is highly inaccurate. Maryland is NOTHING like West Virginia, it's like a little New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 08:05 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
I was actually curious I have never been to Maryland before. I can speak of my experience of Missouri being southern in the southern part of the state...since I live here. I have heard of a similar situation in Maryland but not to the extent of Missouri. Obviously most people don't think Maryland has much southernness to it according to the survey, lol.
As someone that's been to Maryland, Virginia, and New Jersey, Maryland felt more like Virginia than it did like New Jersey. Pittsburgh felt more like New Jersey than anywhere in Maryland did.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:06 PM

867 posts, read 1,396,764 times
Quote:
There were lots of votes quickly. Some people must have sad lives to go online and ruin a survey that means absolutely nothing in the scheme of things....bot sure if it's happening or not but there were tons of votes that happened quickly.
Of course, how shocking.LOL.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
As someone that's been to Maryland, Virginia, and New Jersey, Maryland felt more like Virginia than it did like New Jersey. Pittsburgh felt more like New Jersey than anywhere in Maryland did.
Go to Bethesda, Rockville, Potomac, or Olney. It feels exactly like you're in NJ and if Maryland feels like Virginia then why did you bother saying West Virginia? Virginia and West Virginia aren't nothing alike too

Last edited by Deluusions; 01-11-2015 at 08:41 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 03:11 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,215 times
I made this thread about a year ago lol

Old 01-12-2015, 03:35 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
This thread has been done more than a few times...

Old 01-12-2015, 03:41 PM

620 posts, read 1,232,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Sorry I never saw it! What were the result of that thread??

Old 01-12-2015, 03:51 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Go to Bethesda, Rockville, Potomac, or Olney. It feels exactly like you're in NJ
You should ask JerseyGirl how she feels about that.

Maryland, to me, feels like Maryland and New Jersey feels like New Jersey. Though I would say the DC burbs feel more like the Atlanta burbs given the abundance of new construction and the large transient population of both metros.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You should ask JerseyGirl how she feels about that.

Maryland, to me, feels like Maryland and New Jersey feels like New Jersey. Though I would say the DC burbs feel more like the Atlanta burbs given the abundance of new construction and the large transient population of both metros.
I lived in New Jersey with my ex boyfriend after college for a long time. After we broke up I moved back to the DC area, I lived in Hunterdon county. I know exactly what I'm talking about, yes the NoVa side can resemble the Atlanta suburbs but I'm not talking about NoVa. Specifically the Maryland suburbs definitely does not feel like an Atlanta suburb. There's not many new development in Olney, Potomac and certain areas of Rockville. Northern VA and Bethesda are getting the most development so that where you're wrong. Olney is still very much farmland but it feels like Long Valley NJ.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:56 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,862,870 times
Quote:
Sorry I never saw it! What were the result of that thread??
There's also this one:

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...n-culture.html

There is very little southern about Maryland. I say this as a guy who generally prefers the southeast over other areas of the country. Where most people live, it is a typical BosWash (i.e. northeastern) culture. In some less populated areas in southern Maryland there is a quasi-southern border culture, but even calling it this is really stretching it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.