Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Missouri or Oklahoma more southern?
Missouri 27 25.96%
Oklahoma 77 74.04%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 07:28 PM

620 posts, read 1,232,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
The Mason-Dixon line doesn't extend that far west so that's a moot point. Again though, Missouri is a Midwestern state, not a southern one.

I'm not usually a big fan of wikipedia but here is a quote that pretty much sums up what the Mason-Dixon line means to people today: "It represents the cultural border between the Southern United States and the Northern United States".

Now we can call Maryland a Mid-Atlantic state if you want but, it still is technically in the South. The guy in the first video did not even sound remotely southern and while the girl in the second video did sound southern, I've heard thicker country accents in Western Maryland. Once you get out of the Balt.-DC suburbs, Maryland is like an entirely different state. Not to mention half the people in those suburbs probably aren't even Marylanders.

I was born and raised in Maryland and have lived many years in Missouri, I think I can give an opinion on both.
Sorry I'm going to have to disagree. You have no idea what you are taking about. First off you don't know what the Mason-Dixon Line is. Secondly you are incorrect in regards to Missouri and Maryland. Sorry but most people would laugh in your face if you said southern Missouri was less southern than maryland. It's simply not true and laughable. You seem to make up lots of things, no offense. If you can find one accent online anywhere in western Maryland that rivals southern missouri dialect I will gladly change my opinion...I'll be waiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 07:31 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studying Okie View Post
If the Southwest was only Oklahoma and Texas it would be much more agreeable.
I actually agree with this wholeheartedly. There's no denying that TX and OK are both somewhat different in many aspects from the rest of the South, but they're even more different than Arizona and (most of) New Mexico.

I have seen certain regional maps that place both states in their own unique category: South Central U.S. Personally I agree that this should be it's own region, though it is not officially recognized as such.

Still, when all is said and done, I view both Texas and Oklahoma as having more in common, at least on a cultural level, with the American South than they do with the Southwest or Midwest. Especially the latter.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:46 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
Sorry I'm going to have to disagree. You have no idea what you are taking about. First off you don't know what the Mason-Dixon Line is. Secondly you are incorrect in regards to Missouri and Maryland. Sorry but most people would laugh in your face if you said southern Missouri was less southern than maryland. It's simply not true and laughable. You seem to make up lots of things, no offense. If you can find one accent online anywhere in western Maryland that rivals southern missouri dialect I will gladly change my opinion...I'll be waiting.
I pointed out what the Mason-Dixon line means to people today, the boundary dispute has LONG been resolved. Why do you think people even now what the Mason-Dixon line is in this day and age? Probably because almost everyone now a days considers it the end of the south and the beginning of the north.

So you are saying Md is more southern than SoMo? I'm going to assume you didn't type that right and got it backwards. I also never said Md is more southern than southern Mo, reading comprehension is a problem for some I guess. Western Md is a lot like WV for the most part, you would know that if you have ever been.

Once again, the United States Government says that Missouri is in the Midwest and Maryland is in the South. Argue all you want, but those are the facts. What exactly would you like to base the regions on? Get over it or go sit in the corner and be quiet if you can't offer anything more than "Missouri is Southern because I say so!!"

Old 01-29-2015, 08:28 PM

620 posts, read 1,232,757 times
Quote:
I pointed out what the Mason-Dixon line means to people today, the boundary dispute has LONG been resolved. Why do you think people even now what the Mason-Dixon line is in this day and age? Probably because almost everyone now a days considers it the end of the south and the beginning of the north.

So you are saying Md is more southern than SoMo? I'm going to assume you didn't type that right and got it backwards. I also never said Md is more southern than southern Mo, reading comprehension is a problem for some I guess. Western Md is a lot like WV for the most part, you would know that if you have ever been.

Once again, the United States Government says that Missouri is in the Midwest and Maryland is in the South. Argue all you want, but those are the facts. What exactly would you like to base the regions on? Get over it or go sit in the corner and be quiet if you can't offer anything more than "Missouri is Southern because I say so!!"
lol there is nothing wrong with what I said...read it again. Maybe you didn't read it correctly. Of course you didn't post any proof, which I wouldn't expect otherwise. Are you going to post any proof showing a southern accent in Maryland anywhere? Please do I will continue to wait. I have posted several videos demonstrating the southern accent in Missouri. Also to say that today people believe the Mason-Dixon Line means the beginning of the south is an untrue statement. 90% of people don't consider Maryland to be southern. You really need to study things before just making blanket statements like you are.

Last edited by imbored198824; 01-29-2015 at 08:40 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Are you going to post any proof showing a southern accent in Maryland anywhere? Please do I will continue to wait. I have posted several videos demonstrating the southern accent in Missouri.

You need a video to believe anything? Look up Appalachian English and than see where that is spoken, case closed.

Also to say that today people believe the Mason-Dixon Line means the beginning of the south is an untrue statement.

Ok so why does everyone seem to know what it is? Everyone is really that educated on the boundary dispute of MD/Pa? Or maybe it is because people believe it is the line that separates the north from the south as I said. Just google it and you will see what people believe it is, it is not that difficult.

90% of people don't consider Maryland to be southern. You really need to study things before just making blanket statements like you are.
You speak for 90% of people? I'm glad you told me. Too bad 90% of people are wrong, it is geographically considered the south no matter what you say. Just as Missouri is the Midwest.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Are you going to post any proof showing a southern accent in Maryland anywhere? Please do I will continue to wait. I have posted several videos demonstrating the southern accent in Missouri.

You need a video to believe anything? Look up Appalachian English and than see where that is spoken, case closed.

Also to say that today people believe the Mason-Dixon Line means the beginning of the south is an untrue statement.

Ok so why does everyone seem to know what it is? Everyone is really that educated on the boundary dispute of MD/Pa? Or maybe it is because people believe it is the line that separates the north from the south as I said. Just google it and you will see what people believe it is, it is not that difficult.

90% of people don't consider Maryland to be southern. You really need to study things before just making blanket statements like you are.

You speak for 90% of people? I'm glad you told me. Too bad 90% of people are wrong, it is geographically considered the south no matter what you say. Just as Missouri is the Midwest.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:35 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:

Just as Missouri is the Midwest.
Regardless of what the US government "says" some states are not "one size fits all". There is absolutely no question that the lower part of Missouri is southern. Historically, as a border state, a large component of Missourians were sympathetic to the south and were pro slavery. And this sentiment was not restricted to the southern part of Missouri. So Missouri has a legacy tied to the south.

Maryland is similar in it's history with the south as well as it being in a transition zone. Much like Missouri, the populated areas are not really "southern" but some of the rural areas are.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:47 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Regardless of what the US government "says" some states are not "one size fits all". There is absolutely no question that the lower part of Missouri is southern. Historically, as a border state, a large component of Missourians were sympathetic to the south and were pro slavery. And this sentiment was not restricted to the southern part of Missouri. So Missouri has a legacy tied to the south.

Maryland is similar in it's history with the south as well as it being in a transition zone. Much like Missouri, the populated areas are not really "southern" but some of the rural areas are.
That legacy is also why the city of St. Louis lost control of its police force up until very recently; the Missouri government was worried that they'd get overthrown by the Unionist St. Louis during the Civil War.

Regardless of Missouri's overall history though, the majority of Missouri's residents come across as Midwestern today. You'll also find that certain Midwestern residents in the large Missouri metros look down upon the people they feel are too hickish and Southern from other parts of the state.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:27 PM

101 posts, read 122,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I actually agree with this wholeheartedly. There's no denying that TX and OK are both somewhat different in many aspects from the rest of the South, but they're even more different than Arizona and (most of) New Mexico.

I have seen certain regional maps that place both states in their own unique category: South Central U.S. Personally I agree that this should be it's own region, though it is not officially recognized as such.

Still, when all is said and done, I view both Texas and Oklahoma as having more in common, at least on a cultural level, with the American South than they do with the Southwest or Midwest. Especially the latter.
The more I think about it I want to see a thread about Oklahoma & Texas being the Western South. There are some unique characteristics that are strongly associated with this region. To be honest I couldn't put complete borders around it, but the heart of this area (in my opinion) is the heavily baptist, cotton producing land between OKC and DFW on the east and Amarillo, Lubbock, and Midland-Odessa on the west.

The highly Southern Baptist counties centered around Childress and Paducah, Texas make up the core of this region.

Last edited by Studying Okie; 01-30-2015 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: Map

Old 01-31-2015, 09:01 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,866 times
Quote:
The Mason-Dixon line doesn't extend that far west so that's a moot point. Again though, Missouri is a Midwestern state, not a southern one.

I'm not usually a big fan of wikipedia but here is a quote that pretty much sums up what the Mason-Dixon line means to people today: "It represents the cultural border between the Southern United States and the Northern United States".

Now we can call Maryland a Mid-Atlantic state if you want but, it still is technically in the South. The guy in the first video did not even sound remotely southern and while the girl in the second video did sound southern, I've heard thicker country accents in Western Maryland. Once you get out of the Balt.-DC suburbs, Maryland is like an entirely different state. Not to mention half the people in those suburbs probably aren't even Marylanders.

I was born and raised in Maryland and have lived many years in Missouri, I think I can give an opinion on both.
Yes "technically" accorrding to the US census bureau, MD AND DE are part of the south, but very people say this. According to a study done by UNC Chapel-Hill, over 80% of Marylanders and Delawareans do not consider themselves southern. The only people you come across who genuinely claim to be southern are from the sparsely populated southern eastern shore, or else are "wannabes" who love country music and desperately want to fit an image. I think using the western panhandle of MD to show MD's southerness is rather facetious. It has what, 1/20 inhabitants of the state? 4/5 people live in central MD which is decidedly more like NJ. I would love to be a southerner over a northerner, but am trying to be honest here. I have never heard a white person in MD sound as southern as some of the videos imbored posted, and would be lying if I said I did.

If you want to see the real testament, look at all of the threads talking about southern cities and the south in general. Maryland and Baltimore are virtually never brought up, but in discussions about the northeast it is the norm to include Baltimore, DC, Delaware, and MD. Maybe it's that 90% of people are wrong as you say, or maybe the census bureau and M-D line are horribly antiquated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.