Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 09:52 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,563,243 times

Advertisements

Big Ten Football!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 11:21 AM

8,012 posts, read 11,349,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I don't think people realize that many slaves brought to America were sold to their masters in Africa by other blacks, but nobody ever talks about that.

yeah most of their so-called masters had a gun to their faces too by you know who, the whiteman or an arab.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:53 AM

8,012 posts, read 11,349,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Ever heard of Sherman's march to the sea? The siege of Vicksburg?

Yeah, the US raped the South.
I guess you forgot to mention that the south did plenty of raping, robbing and killing of the Indians and Africans. The south is not all innocent, you know?

Maybe you could have stayed with England, France or Spain, but you know that would not have happened either, unless you totally forgot about manifest destiny.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:53 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,106,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Most southerners I know are very patriotic - and I know a lot of them since I'm from the south and live in the south! You're much more likely to see an American flag on a southerner's bumper or a "support the troops" sticker than you are likely to see a confederate flag.

Also, I've seen my fair share of confederate flags in states outside the south. I even saw a huge one hanging outside of a house in a little village in Germany! That was weird.
I live in GA. The part where I live, I've seen a few Confederate flags flying from yards and trucks. However, as you have mentioned, I've found far more USA flags and "support the troops" stickers. I merely mentioned that the only people I've found saying "the South Shall Rise" are often those who are very into Confederate stuff. If I get further into the inner parts of metro Atlanta (Marietta, Smyrna, Decatur, Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, even Kennesaw), I almost never see a Confederate flag. I see it more in Paulding County, Bartow County, the further out areas. That said, I can confirm that I see far more American flags. Down the street from where I live, there is a fire state. American flag.

I've been to churches and I've seen this: Christian flag on one side, USA flag on the other side.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:55 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,106,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I never hear anyone in Alabama say it either. Maybe a few people in movies.
Perhaps.

I will give an account of an experience that I had. In high school, I knew a kid who was well, quite controversial. One day during the pledge of allegiance, I heard him distinctly say "I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the CONFEDERATE states of America".

Old 01-20-2015, 12:57 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,185,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Hearing "The South Will Rise Again" can have some negative connotations. I live in Georgia. I hardly ever hear it from anyone. The only persons I seem to hear it from (and it's very few) are those who are known for flying Confederate flags and talking about how much they hate the federal government. And even among some persons who have worn Confederate flag t-shirts, I have never heard "the South Will Rise Again" from most.

In my opinion, the USA is the USA, period.
The OP is from New England. In all my years, I don't believe I have heard the phrase six times. And a few of those times were when I was stationed in New Jersey by locals trying to get a rise out of me.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:38 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,882,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
On the contrary when we see videos of 100 car pile ups from white out conditions, minus elventyteen temps and house covering snow we wonder what kind of madness you guys suffer from to want to live up there.
*sigh*

Don't know were to start. There's the fact that this little blurb is "on the contrary" to nothing relevant stated at that point (post 2) in this thread. Then there was the passive-aggressive "Happy New Year!" at the end. Then there's the fact that not only are many Northerners fond of or simply don't mind the cold (like those from elsewhere over dramatically do), we also pretty much know how to deal with snow (if you wanna go here - better than you guys can. Our cities don't shut down after two inches) and pileups commonly occur in ice, not snow, because it is nearly impossible for anyone anywhere to safely drive in ice without sliding a bit, then add in highways and people who still go fast and, quite literally, bam! THEN there's the retort that it may be cold in the winter here, but it's HUMID AS HELL in the summer down there! Can't we all just get along?

Old 01-20-2015, 03:09 PM

3,450 posts, read 4,492,600 times
Some really ugly stuff from both sides here. Embarassing.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:19 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,643,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
*sigh*

Don't know were to start. There's the fact that this little blurb is "on the contrary" to nothing relevant stated at that point (post 2) in this thread. Then there was the passive-aggressive "Happy New Year!" at the end. Then there's the fact that not only are many Northerners fond of or simply don't mind the cold (like those from elsewhere over dramatically do), we also pretty much know how to deal with snow (if you wanna go here - better than you guys can. Our cities don't shut down after two inches) and pileups commonly occur in ice, not snow, because it is nearly impossible for anyone anywhere to safely drive in ice without sliding a bit, then add in highways and people who still go fast and, quite literally, bam! THEN there's the retort that it may be cold in the winter here, but it's HUMID AS HELL in the summer down there! Can't we all just get along?
You could've started with the realization that this is a silly thread not to be taken seriously and that if a person would take the time to visit or get to know others they wouldn't spend time wondering if the South would rise again, or if its inhabitants were secretly plotting it.

You could then come to the realization that the South is the butt of many jokes and we are painted with a broad brush of not so positive traits, so when the opportunity arises to express the fact that no, we are not preoccupied with one upping our neighbors to the north and that we are perfectly happy and content with what we do and where we live without thinking about them that we should get to express that, albeit in a flippant manner which is all this thread deserves.

PS, I really don't want to deal with snow. So the threat of shutting down over a flurry is ok with me. Have fun with your chains, and salt, and rusty undercarriages.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:24 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,421,810 times
I love the South, I was born in New England and grew up in OH but i have lived in AL, FL, TX, KY and soon to be TN. I will never leave the South, I love it here so much. I don't care what anybody tells me I love to live in this region more than any other part of the USA. I am a Yankee by birth and a Southern by choice. I am about to move to Nashville, that is where i choose to live. I almost moved to Austin, TX that place is amazing as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.